Neato with pets and the laser

News and information about the Neato XV-11 Robotic Vacuum. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Neato with pets and the laser

Postby tmnCA » August 16th, 2010, 10:37 pm

I watched the demo of the Neato and it looks pretty "neato". However I am very concerned about the laser and pets. What stops the last from shining into pets' eyes and damaging their eyes? I play with my cats with a laser pointer but I am always very careful not to shine it directly in their eyes. A robot would be scanning at various stages of cleaning as the demo shows, and could easily damage a pets' eyesight unless there is something I am missing here.

Also do pets and people moving around the room or sitting during the scan get incorporated into the room map, and then later the spot is avoided?
tmnCA
Robot Addict

Re: Neato with pets and the laser

Postby Jimson » August 16th, 2010, 11:16 pm

Hey tmnCA. Just did some digging around regarding your question.

Re: Whether or not the laser is dangerous to pets...I couldn't find anything. :( I'm very interested in finding out about this also as I have a toddler in my home.

Re: People moving around the room etc.. I found some info about this under 'How it works' on the Neato FAQ page:

http://www.neatorobotics.com/faq.html

Here's some general information regarding the laser as well, as posted by another forum member:

gmu_grad06 wrote:The navigation technology on this robot is amazing for the price. Here is a link to a discussion regarding the laser rangefinder on the robot:

http://www.hizook.com/blog/2009/12/20/u ... o-robotics

Hehe yeah. The Neato looks to be really 'neato'. +1
Last edited by Jimson on August 16th, 2010, 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jimson
Robot Groupie

Postby Fraggboy » August 16th, 2010, 11:18 pm

The laser scanner is shorter than the average cat (It might be eye level if they are laying down). I've noticed that when I play with my cats with the laser, if I accidentally shine them close to their eyes, they turn away. I'm sure the same will happen with the Neato. I'm not worried about it.

The laser will update every so often, so if a person is 'scanned' at the beginning and the person moves, the Neato will readjust accordingly (Object(s) removed/introduced).
Chris

:confusion-shrug:
Website Question? Check out the FAQ section.
Roomba/Scooba Question? Check out the READ FIRST section.
:text-search:
Before posting, check out the improved Search engine. Your question might have been answered already.
Fraggboy
Robot Master

Postby piokrza » August 17th, 2010, 5:09 am

I think that Neato XV-11 uses not visible IR ray, similar as remote control e.g. for tv set. I rely on this video At 5:10-5:15 you can see a white blinking light in the rangefinder window. This light remeber me navibot - this same phenomenon occurs in the camera recording him at work and can't be seen by anything else than camera (human/animal eye). So it is not "visible" type laser (this red light) and can't be a danger to anyone. Moreover, I believe that Neato Inc. thinks about user safety and do not let a dangerous product on the market. Even if it will be dangerous only for pets. Similar as Electrolux/Samsung/LG/Roomba 500 (thinking about sensors). Thanks :cheers:
past: Samsung SR8855 (bad sw) Samsung SR8895 (bad rotor) Neato XV-11/XV-15 Roomba 780 (bad battery) Scooba 385 Roomba 530 2x Scooba 230 (broken bladder), Samsung SR8980, Samsung VR10F71 Hobot-168
current: Roomba 620 (bad CHM; repaired u/warranty) Scooba 330 Scooba 230
piokrza
Robot Master

Postby vicbrick » August 17th, 2010, 4:05 pm

As a household appliance, safety was an important consideration in the development of the Neato XV-11, and Neato designed the laser system operating inside the robot to conform to the US Food & Drug Administration’s requirements for a Class 1 laser designation. As the safest laser classification, the FDA provides strict limits on emissions from Class 1 lasers. Lasers that adhere to these restrictions emit low levels of energy and are not considered hazardous. (Meow and Bow Wow = household pets way to say "Neato")
vicbrick

Postby neato » August 17th, 2010, 4:21 pm

tmnCA wrote:I watched the demo of the Neato and it looks pretty "neato". However I am very concerned about the laser and pets. What stops the last from shining into pets' eyes and damaging their eyes? I play with my cats with a laser pointer but I am always very careful not to shine it directly in their eyes. A robot would be scanning at various stages of cleaning as the demo shows, and could easily damage a pets' eyesight unless there is something I am missing here.?

The RPS in the Neato is a Class I certified device during all procedures of operation. A Class 1 laser is safe under all conditions of normal use. Both you and your pet are safe from the RPS.

The laser pointer you play with your cats with is a Class 2 device that depends on the blink reflex for eye safety.
neato
Neato Special Guest

Postby neato » August 17th, 2010, 4:43 pm

tmnCA wrote:Also do pets and people moving around the room or sitting during the scan get incorporated into the room map, and then later the spot is avoided?

People and pets moving around the room do not interfere with the Neato mapping. If it sees an area in the section of the room it is working on become uncovered it will return to the area and clean it. Don’t decide to rearrange the furniture or open and close doors in the room the Neato is cleaning because you will confuse it.
neato
Neato Special Guest

Postby tmnCA » August 17th, 2010, 8:37 pm

neato wrote:The RPS in the Neato is a Class I certified device during all procedures of operation. A Class 1 laser is safe under all conditions of normal use. Both you and your pet are safe from the RPS.

Thanks, that is good to know. I have a 1month old Roomba but I might consider returning it for a Neato, possibly.
tmnCA
Robot Addict

Postby Jimson » August 17th, 2010, 11:01 pm

neato wrote:
tmnCA wrote:I watched the demo of the Neato and it looks pretty "neato". However I am very concerned about the laser and pets. What stops the last from shining into pets' eyes and damaging their eyes? I play with my cats with a laser pointer but I am always very careful not to shine it directly in their eyes. A robot would be scanning at various stages of cleaning as the demo shows, and could easily damage a pets' eyesight unless there is something I am missing here.?

The RPS in the Neato is a Class I certified device during all procedures of operation. A Class 1 laser is safe under all conditions of normal use. Both you and your pet are safe from the RPS.

The laser pointer you play with your cats with is a Class 2 device that depends on the blink reflex for eye safety.

So, the bottom line is, is that the Neato's laser is safe to use around infants/babies? :oops:
Jimson
Robot Groupie

Postby tmnCA » August 17th, 2010, 11:12 pm

Jimson wrote:So, the bottom line is, is that the Neato's laser is safe to use around infants/babies? :oops:

Since Neato has states this is a class I device I feel safe with it - here is more info about laser classes and safety:

http://ehs.uky.edu/radiation/laser_fs.html
From above link: No individual, regardless of exposure conditions to the eyes or skin, would be expected to be injured by a Class I laser. No safety requirements are needed to use Class I laser devices.
tmnCA
Robot Addict

Postby Jimson » August 17th, 2010, 11:22 pm

Woohoo! Time to celebrate! I'd love to purchase one of these Neatos! Err...notices that his war funds are all but depleted thanks to Samsung Navibot... Doh!
Jimson
Robot Groupie

Postby piokrza » August 18th, 2010, 5:15 am

tmnCA wrote:
Jimson wrote:So, the bottom line is, is that the Neato's laser is safe to use around infants/babies? :oops:

Since Neato has states this is a class I device I feel safe with it - here is more info about laser classes and safety:

http://ehs.uky.edu/radiation/laser_fs.html
From above link: No individual, regardless of exposure conditions to the eyes or skin, would be expected to be injured by a Class I laser. No safety requirements are needed to use Class I laser devices.

@tmnCA

Thank you for posting this link. Very helpful. It confirms what I said before - it is "not visible" laser type. It doesn't emit any light or high energy which could have a bad impact on environment. I can't wait until I get mine! :)
past: Samsung SR8855 (bad sw) Samsung SR8895 (bad rotor) Neato XV-11/XV-15 Roomba 780 (bad battery) Scooba 385 Roomba 530 2x Scooba 230 (broken bladder), Samsung SR8980, Samsung VR10F71 Hobot-168
current: Roomba 620 (bad CHM; repaired u/warranty) Scooba 330 Scooba 230
piokrza
Robot Master

Postby neato » August 18th, 2010, 2:20 pm

Jimson wrote:. . . So, the bottom line is, is that the Neato's laser is safe to use around infants/babies? :oops:

The Neao RPS is safe to use around infants because Class 1 laser safety rating means the maximum permissible exposure (MPE) cannot be exceeded. The MPE is calculated for eyes and skin and takes many factors of physiology, physics, and failure analysis into account.

Wikipedia has a good explanation of the latest revised laser safety classifications.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laser_safe ... sification
neato
Neato Special Guest

Postby Jaroslav » April 18th, 2012, 7:54 pm

Hi, the laser is NOT invisible. I have a new Kobold (Neato clone) and I was watching it how it cleans under the bed. I was lying on the floor ... and saw some red blinking light and then fell some slight pain in the eye. So I'm a bit afraid about a little baby playing on the floor ... what do you think?
Jaroslav
Robot Addict

Postby vic7767 » April 18th, 2012, 8:04 pm

It would be advisable to contact the Kobold designers and ask them.
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/

http://www.Robot-Doc.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby Jaroslav » April 18th, 2012, 8:16 pm

vic7767 wrote:It would be advisable to contact the Kobold designers and ask them.

Kobold is basically an improved Neato, doesn't differ much. So I guess the laser is the same.
Jaroslav
Robot Addict

Return to Neato Robotics