I bought an old 1st gen Roomba on evilbay (spares or repairs) which arrived today.
Stripped the Gen1 and forced the motor out of the wheel housing. Swapped the yellow & red wires over from the connectors and rebuilt the Gen2 wheel with it. I needed to snip the excess circuit board to stop the wires rubbing on the Roomba housing and rebuilt it.
Total time = 2 hours. Mainly trying to figure out how to strip the Gen1
Do-do-de dooot!! Off it whirred!!
Are there any parts in the Gen1 that I should keep for spares?
1. The bump sensor IRPT and IRLED for the 500 Series Roomba 9 beeps problem.
2. H-bridge transistors to repair drive wheel always on or off problem.
3. Wheel drop micro switches
4. Keep the wheels for the 400 series Roomba
5. The brush motor can be used in the 400 series Roomba with a bit of work. The gear is press fitted. One need to take it off and put the one from the 400 series brush motor.
6. Take the gears out from the gearbox. All gears, except the brush motor gear, can be used in the 400 series gear box. The brush motor gear can be easily modified to use in the 400 series gear box.
7. Keep the battery case to rebuild battery
8. If it comes with the external Rapid charger, you can sell it or use it.
Just keep the whole thing. You may find some use for it when you are not expected.