Samsung Navibot or Roomba?

News and information about the Samsung Navibot, Tango, Furot and VC series Robotic Vacuums. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Samsung Navibot or Roomba?

Postby cornholio » September 4th, 2010, 1:20 pm

Hello All,

First of all, im new here, so im sorry if I have posted this question in the wrong section.... :roll:

Im interested in buying a roomba (560-580) or a navibot (sr8855).

After having read this forum and have seen many, many, many reviews I still find it hard to choose. The roomba is more chaotic but overall good performance or the navibot which has a bit more strucured approach to his tasks at hand. I have seen the pro's and conns for both machines, but I havent found the real reason why the navibot is much better / worse then the roomba ( navibot looks better, though).

Perhaps somebody here have had them both? Im sure there are more people with the same question, although I havent found a thread about it.

At the moment, my feelings go out to the navibot... although most test results are a bit more in favour of the roomba's :doh:

Thanks for your help!!
cornholio

Re: Samsung Navibot or Roomba?

Postby Fraggboy » September 4th, 2010, 2:08 pm

cornholio,

Welcome.JPG
Welcome.JPG (7.41 KiB) Viewed 34563 times

I went ahead and split your topic to be on its own (So more members can see it, and can answer). Nothing was done 'wrong'. I just want to make sure our members can view it easily. I can't comment on the Navibot myself, but I'm sure you will get the information you are needing. There are some very informative links in my signature at your disposal also.
Chris

:confusion-shrug:
Website Question? Check out the FAQ section.
Roomba/Scooba Question? Check out the READ FIRST section.
:text-search:
Before posting, check out the improved Search engine. Your question might have been answered already.
Fraggboy
Robot Master

Postby cornholio » September 4th, 2010, 2:42 pm

Chris,

Thanks for the warm welcome and sorting my post out!

Cheers
cornholio

Postby piokrza » September 4th, 2010, 3:07 pm

@cornholio

I had Navibot SR8855 for 1 month and sold it back. It has awesome mapping technology but the cleaning method...it is just sweeper. Suction power is very very weak (I thought it will be awesome robot :evil: but I was wrong). It is probably like Roomba: the main function in cleaning process did its power brush, suction is only to "improve" (if I can say this word) the cleaning ability. Although it has this comb part in dustbin, hairs still get wrapped around the brush :? but it helps with dustbunnies. The most liked by me feature was this "Quick Empty". Very convenient and clean emptying, because you don't have to touch all this dust which was captured by the robot. Just suck it up with your upright or central vacuum. No mess, no dust flying around just cleaned home environment (it is what vacuum cleaners should do: clean your house and don't stain it again).

All in all, it was the most efficient robot vacuum cleaner which I had at this time. Most quick, quiet and picks up the most quantity of dirt in comparison to my previous robot.

Sorry, but I have no comparison with Roomba as I never have this bot.
past: Samsung SR8855 (bad sw) Samsung SR8895 (bad rotor) Neato XV-11/XV-15 Roomba 780 (bad battery) Scooba 385 Roomba 530 2x Scooba 230 (broken bladder), Samsung SR8980, Samsung VR10F71 Hobot-168
current: Roomba 620 (bad CHM; repaired u/warranty) Scooba 330 Scooba 230
piokrza
Robot Master

Postby cornholio » September 4th, 2010, 3:31 pm

Hello Piokrza,

If I understand correct you liked the robot but the vaccum function was not good enough for you? You said it collected stuff in the dustbin of the robot, but did it leave so much behind? As I read, the mapping technology worked ok, but you found it did not cleaning enough?

You sold it back so obvious it didnt work for you. What robot are you looking at right now?

I have seen the roomba cleans a little better (also against the walls) but its also not perfect. Also it works much more random.

For 100Euros extra for the same package ( 2 towers and remote control) the roomba 581 is significantly more expensive.
cornholio

Postby Alfg » September 4th, 2010, 3:59 pm

This is a german website, but it tests roomba and navibot.
http://saugrobot.de/index.php

Alfg
Alfg

Postby piokrza » September 4th, 2010, 4:01 pm

Yes, the vacuum function (is it there?) was scandalous for me :( As for this mark, this is very bad. It leaves some dust especially on the floors (finer dust particles and sometimes dustbunnies). I must admit that SR8855 is probably especially designed to allergy sufferers - HEPA filter and "Quick Empty".

Now, I think about Neato XV-11.
Last edited by piokrza on September 4th, 2010, 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
past: Samsung SR8855 (bad sw) Samsung SR8895 (bad rotor) Neato XV-11/XV-15 Roomba 780 (bad battery) Scooba 385 Roomba 530 2x Scooba 230 (broken bladder), Samsung SR8980, Samsung VR10F71 Hobot-168
piokrza
Robot Master

Postby piokrza » September 4th, 2010, 4:13 pm

@Alfg

Thanks for remember me this site. I looking there some time ago, but there was not test with Navibot yet.

Now there is:

[DE] http://saugrobot.de/samsung-navibot-im-test.php
[EN] http://translate.google.pl/translate?js ... m-test.php
http://translate.google.pl/translate?js ... m-test.php
piokrza
Robot Master

Postby cornholio » September 5th, 2010, 12:43 pm

Yes,

I see in the reviews from alfg (thanks man!) that the roomba has a bit better vacuum on it. Although its not really a fair comparison as the roomba goes over the same spot 4-5 times, the samsung only once.

I found another German article (from testmagazin on this site, sorry I dont have the link) which gives the Navibot a bit better review then the Roomba ( Roomba 91,9% - gut, and the navibot 92,6% - sehr gut). It depend which test report you read I guess. Only conclusion I can make it isnt crap.

I dont really have a messy home, so perhaps only once should be enough for me, I guess.

Im aware you cant compare it to a normal vacuum cleaner, but all the work it does is extra and helps for me.

I think ill give the samsung a try... see if I can order it in the comming weeks. Ill keep you up to date!

Cheers!
cornholio

Postby sageman » September 5th, 2010, 12:53 pm

a uk magizene (focus)tested them both and said that roomba got stuck less (on slippers etc)

4 star for roomba and 3 for samsung (i think)

i cant find anything on their website
400/disco disassembly's (everything down to the PCB)
http://www.robotreviews.com/wiki/400disco-disassembly

one day many years from now a person will say "right I'll just ROOMBA downstairs" instead of hoover
oh wait I already do :)

main bot: neato xv-15 (Europe xv-11)
to sell (one day): roomba sage and silver (both 400's)
sageman
Robot Addict

Postby Jimson » September 7th, 2010, 10:24 pm

Hello and welcome, cornholio! Sorry I'm a bit late on posting here. Hehe. Have had computer issues for the past few days. Never had a Roomba, but have read reports that there are issues with the Cleaning Head Module (CHM) affecting Roombas across the range. I've had the SR8855 Navibot (Virgil) for a month or so now and so far my thoughts on it are mixed. Here's a small breakdown on my thoughts:

Pros: It does it's job as expected, it cleans well when it is not full. Is relatively simple to maintain, cleaning out the brushes, emptying the dust bin and cleaning out the side brushes. Relatively energy efficient, in that it cleans just as well as a conventional 1800W+ vacuum cleaner (for the given required tasks) in the same amount of time. 2 Year manufacturer's warranty. Looks sexy! Hehe.

Cons: My Navibot was particularly expensive, even though I supposedly got it for a bargain price. Recommended Retail Pricing in Australia was $999.00. I purchased mine for $700.00. (Still feel it is somewhat expensive). Navibot doesn't resume from where it stops (after a critical stop or error). I.E. It forgets where it has cleaned and starts over once you've 'rescued' it. Very annoying issue with the way it goes 'off track' after bumping into something and as a result, leaving wedge shaped areas uncleaned because of it takes a new 'track'. Very very annoying issue in Edge mode, when it rubs up against a wall or architrave and gets stuck as a result, requiring rescue.

Seems to me as though there are more cons than pros... :(

piokrza wrote:@cornholio

I had Navibot SR8855 for 1 month and sold it back. It has awesome mapping technology but the cleaning method...it is just sweeper. Suction power is very very weak (I thought it will be awesome robot :evil: but I was wrong). It is probably like Roomba: the main function in cleaning process did its power brush, suction is only to "improve" (if I can say this word) the cleaning ability. Although it has this comb part in dustbin, hairs still get wrapped around the brush :? but it helps with dustbunnies. The most liked by me feature was this "Quick Empty". Very convenient and clean emptying, because you don't have to touch all this dust which was captured by the robot. Just suck it up with your upright or central vacuum. No mess, no dust flying around just cleaned home environment (it is what vacuum cleaners should do: clean your house and don't stain it again).

All in all, it was the most efficient robot vacuum cleaner which I had at this time. Most quick, quiet and picks up the most quantity of dirt in comparison to my previous robot.

Sorry, but I have no comparison with Roomba as I never have this bot.

Oi Piokrza! My Navibot brother in arms! You've abandoned me now?? :cry: It was all of your info and input that made me purchase Virgil! It was fun while it lasted, brother! Hehe. Ahh well...you're probably going to make me buy a Neato at this rate. Hehe!
Jimson
Robot Groupie

Postby Jedyh » September 7th, 2010, 10:43 pm

I have had the same experience with the Navibot as some have posted. It seems to do a good job in General but she gets stuck on things. I run her (Sadie) in Auto mode nowadays because in edge mode she brushes up agaisnt things and stops, and as mentioned once I save her she doesnt resume she starts over again.

I am currently considering taking her back and returning her as not working as intended due to the amount of times she gets stuck. I purchased my 8845 in Australia for $499 and tacked a 5 year warrenty on her just to be safe. I am not considering taking her back (as mentioned).

I do also find that sometimes when she picks up alot of hair it gets tangled around the end of the power brush (see my post on power brush failure) and in my old unit it heated the plastic so much it deformed the square gear and my powerbrush stopped working. Even cleaning the hair out after every hour or so run it still gets warm. I would guess that if I ran her for any longer she would suffer the same fate as my other one.

I am considering the Roomba 577 as a replacement at $670 from either Joyce Mayne or Harvery Norman.

What issues are there in the Roombas atm?? I guess I should go read up.
Jedyh

Postby piokrza » September 8th, 2010, 7:44 am

Jimson wrote:Oi Piokrza! My Navibot brother in arms! You've abandoned me now?? :cry: It was all of your info and input that made me purchase Virgil! It was fun while it lasted, brother! Hehe. Ahh well...you're probably going to make me buy a Neato at this rate. Hehe!

Jimson,

sorry for the confuse you but before I buy it I was fascinated with it so much so I didn't thought about eventually disadvantages. Whats more how I could see them if I have not Navibot on my own yet or see him at live? I noticed the disadvantages after getting it, so I change my mind instantly then. As I am. Sorry :oops: I have not urged you to buy it and I never do that to anybody, you decide for yourself :|

I'm a person who are very attracted in new things and love to test them. Sorry if I confuse anybody else and now he/she regrets his/hers choice :|

P.s. No I will not make you to buy a Neato. I never do that as I said before. It is your own decision what to do.
piokrza
Robot Master

Postby cornholio » September 8th, 2010, 12:14 pm

Hello all!

Thanks for the advises;

@ Jimson; thanks for the welcome and your experienced pro's and cons, very helpfull. What you describe is what I have read so far, although you seem quite happy about the amout your "Virgil" cleans, hehe. I have read many other storys that it doenst clean so well. interresting to hear.

We intend to use it in a large livingroom with a wooden floor. Normally we dont have much stuff lying around, so the issues of getting stuck we just have to find out for our selves (I guess it depends also on the way you live)... We intend to use it as extra help, we will not through Wilma (our normal vacuumcleaner) out of the window. She can stay and once a week or so pick up the left behinds of the Navibot (havent got it yet, so no name yet)

The costs in Netherlands for the 8855 are on internet around €400,-- which is expensive for a toy, but inexpensive for a fully automatic help in the household (you recognize the way I try to "sell" it to the wife, hehe :lol: )

@ Jedyh; One of the biggest flaws I have seen with the Navibot is that "Sadie" cant run parallel with a wall. This is what puts me off and my biggest issue. I cant figure it out why they havent improved this. all other (neato, roomba, name them) have this feature. The navibot is well equiped with sensors, so the harware should all be there, it seems that the software is the problem. Perhaps an email to the Samsung R&D department will do the trick? :think:

Regarding the comments on the gear; I have seen this on youtube for the roomba ( i believe the 581) aswell. I have seen a video where this guy mentions there is a small gap between the cover of the gear and the gearbox itself. This collects so much dust and hair that the gears (plastic with steel axes) clodded up with fluff and the gearbox actually also deformed / melted on certain places by the heat the fluff generated and the roomba rendered unusable. This seems a big design flaw of this model / productline.

@ piokrza; I have seen the neato on some videos, interesting robot. (doesnt look so good as the navibot though) but it seems to work very well. One problem for me, I dont think they are sold in the Netherlands though, ive already searched the web. They are not easy to get hold of overhere.

Ill see If I can make up my mind. Any other experiences are welcome.

Thanks and Cheers
cornholio

Postby justflie » September 8th, 2010, 12:33 pm

Check out the Neato XV-11. I have mine backordered through Hammacher Schlemmer (I own a Roomba 560 right now [the old kind that used lighthouses, now the 570]).

Chris (Fraggboy) will be posting his review on it this week. Keep an eye on the Neato forum in Robot Chat.
justflie
Robot Addict

Postby piokrza » September 8th, 2010, 12:45 pm

@cornholio

What if Navibot is nicer than Neato, if he does not do its job properly? Pretty look is not that important. For me vacuum cleaner should do what its task. Look is on the second place.

You can get Neato through resellers, like e.g. shopusa.com which is internationall reseller (or other national resellers) or from robotshop.com. They ship internationally.
piokrza
Robot Master

Postby piokrza » September 8th, 2010, 12:49 pm

@justflie

Hammacher did not ship internationally, as someone mentioned earlier.
piokrza
Robot Master

Postby cornholio » September 8th, 2010, 12:57 pm

@ Piokrza; ofcourse function over looks, although the neato is damn ugly (ofcourse personal opinion)

But indeed it seems to work very good on the video's, in my opinion even better then Roomba. For me a no go, as it doenst seem to be sold in the NL and international shipment I dont trust for that much money...

Cheers
cornholio

Postby piokrza » September 8th, 2010, 1:24 pm

For me, it doesn't matter as much how it looks. "Ugly" more or less...Btw I had before v-bot rv-10 an someone could tell that it is ugly too. I don't care about it as much. Nice if it is stylish, pretty, and modern (touch screen is very modern invention, but the display is still LED which is older invention than LCD display, and has not usb port as neato; so in navibot the modernity is but not at all) but as it is a vacuum cleaner it should clean the best at first.
piokrza
Robot Master

Postby Jimson » September 8th, 2010, 9:38 pm

Jedyh wrote:...I run her (Sadie) in Auto mode nowadays because in edge mode she brushes up agaisnt things and stops...

...and tacked a 5 year warrenty on her just to be safe...

I do also find that sometimes when she picks up alot of hair it gets tangled around the end of the power brush (see my post on power brush failure) and in my old unit it heated the plastic so much it deformed the square gear and my powerbrush stopped working. Even cleaning the hair out after every hour or so run it still gets warm. I would guess that if I ran her for any longer she would suffer the same fate as my other one.

I am considering the Roomba 577 as a replacement at $670 from either Joyce Mayne or Harvery Norman.

What issues are there in the Roombas atm?? I guess I should go read up.

Hi Jedyh, yeah, Auto mode would be the choice of compromise...Navibot is a bit too problematic in Edge mode. How did you manage to secure a 5 year warranty? In store, or manufacturer's warranty? Yes, I recall reading your post about the melted gear on the powerbrush. I've yet to say that it's happened to 'Virgil', but I'll report it on here, if and when it happens. Hrr...I'm not too sure on the Roombas, I'd personally wait on user reviews for the Neato XV-11. Heck, Joyce Mayne are still around?? Hehe.

piokrza wrote:
Jimson,

sorry for the confuse you but before I buy it I was fascinated with it so much so I didn't thought about eventually disadvantages. Whats more how I could see them if I have not Navibot on my own yet or see him at live? I noticed the disadvantages after getting it, so I change my mind instantly then. As I am. Sorry :oops: I have not urged you to buy it and I never do that to anybody, you decide for yourself :|

I'm a person who are very attracted in new things and love to test them. Sorry if I confuse anybody else and now he/she regrets his/hers choice :|

P.s. No I will not make you to buy a Neato. I never do that as I said before. It is your own decision what to do.

Hehe! Piokrza! My robot brother in arms! Worry not! I don't blame you for anything at all, and in fact, I apologise wholeheartedly if that was what anyone on our forums thought, about my comments. I think as owners of Navibots, we all fell in love with the way it looks...and Samsung's dastardly clever marketing ploys! :lol: Yes, you are 100% correct. In the end, I made the decision to purchase Virgil. So I will continue being happy with him, until he breaks down. :cry: Hehe! I'll be watching the Neato boards for everyone's experiences closely.

cornholio wrote:Hello all!

Thanks for the advises;

@ Jimson; thanks for the welcome and your experienced pro's and cons, very helpfull. What you describe is what I have read so far, although you seem quite happy about the amout your "Virgil" cleans, hehe. I have read many other storys that it doenst clean so well. interresting to hear.

We intend to use it in a large livingroom with a wooden floor. Normally we dont have much stuff lying around, so the issues of getting stuck we just have to find out for our selves (I guess it depends also on the way you live)... We intend to use it as extra help, we will not through Wilma (our normal vacuumcleaner) out of the window. She can stay and once a week or so pick up the left behinds of the Navibot (havent got it yet, so no name yet)

The costs in Netherlands for the 8855 are on internet around €400,-- which is expensive for a toy, but inexpensive for a fully automatic help in the household (you recognize the way I try to "sell" it to the wife, hehe :lol: )...

Hehe. Cornholio, you're most welcome, friend! Yes, I've found that Navibot handles short (flat) carpet and linoleum floors very well. Only real issue regarding cleaning is the 'offtrack' problem. Navibot cleans over at my Grandmother's house, I generally clear out any obstacles before I set him to work, so that he doesn't get stuck. But the real problem is, in Edge mode when it rubs up against a cupboard or a wall, resulting in an error. Ahh, I see your clever plan! Just don't mention the word 'toy' at all for the next few weeks. Hehe! ;)
Jimson
Robot Groupie

Next

Return to Samsung Robots