Neato XV-11 Bugs

News and information about the Neato XV-11 Robotic Vacuum. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Neato XV-11 Bugs

Postby kgoedtel » September 13th, 2010, 12:44 pm

The most annoying bug in the software to me right now is when the Neato encounters objects that are low to the ground, not registered as an obstacle, and the software is convinced it can make it over/across it. This wouldn't be so much of a problem but the Neato will continue to raise itself up and try to hurdle over it.

If there is "open" space behind such an obstacle that the Neato has not vacuumed yet it will become obsessed with this location. My Neato sometimes does give up and move on to finish the rest of the house but will many times go directly back to this location to see if it is cleared only to repeat the hilarious process (of failing).

--

The second bug I have found is one time my Neato was finished vacuuming and was trying to navigate back to the dock but completely lost. The Neato had just gotten itself stuck (in the location previously described) and was manually lifted to safety. I dunno if it was all the wheel slip wreaking havoc on SLAM or the fact that it had been moved a few feet but it couldn't seem to get its bearings on its surroundings again. It just kept running into walls and didn't seem to adapt to the situation. This only seems to happen while it is finished vacuuming and looking for its dock.
kgoedtel

Re: Neato XV-11 Bugs

Postby kgoedtel » September 17th, 2010, 12:13 am

I just tried to pause the vacuum process and told my Neato to return to its dock and it drove all the way back to the dock but did not attempt to actually dock (did not align with IR and did not reverse into it). Instead it just stopped as if it had originally started the room without first exiting its dock.
kgoedtel

Postby sageman » September 17th, 2010, 1:20 am

i think the dock may not have enough room to manuver just for once put the dock so it definatly has enough room i mean by quite a few meaters if it still cant dock neato has a problem if it docks fine you will know you will have to move the dockto a better location
400/disco disassembly's (everything down to the PCB)
http://www.robotreviews.com/wiki/400disco-disassembly

one day many years from now a person will say "right I'll just ROOMBA downstairs" instead of hoover
oh wait I already do :)

main bot: neato xv-15 (Europe xv-11)
to sell (one day): roomba sage and silver (both 400's)
sageman
Robot Addict

Postby kgoedtel » September 17th, 2010, 2:16 am

It has docked fine every time it does its normal run- I specifically used the pause button and then told it to return to its dock (it's an option from the pause menu). I started it from its dock, then when it went to return after being paused it stopped just before the dock and then went straight to the main Neato screen without any error or anything. It definitely did not work properly. :)
kgoedtel

Postby nick1sp » September 17th, 2010, 8:27 am

yes, my neato does the same thing, if I pick it up and move it a few feet. It will lose it's way and start bumping into things that previously avoid. It's like the laser stopped functioning and is relying on the map it previously made, but since the bot is moved a few feet from where he was, he's hitting into walls that the map said is not there.

My friend's have the resets clock to 0:00 when dock bug, and from the looks of it, many other people are experiencing the same thing.

Kinda dissapointed that it took them so long to release it and when they do, there's still so many bugs on it. They should have had a beta user group to really test out the units instead of showcasing it with a conditioned environment.
nick1sp

Postby grinny11 » October 13th, 2010, 8:56 pm

Yeah I am having this problem as well. It stinks because it will only make it through the first run. Half of my house hasn't been cleaned for a week because it doesn't make it back to dock and charge and clean the rest of the house.
grinny11

Postby neato » October 14th, 2010, 2:43 pm

kgoedtel wrote:I just tried to pause the vacuum process and told my Neato to return to its dock and it drove all the way back to the dock but did not attempt to actually dock (did not align with IR and did not reverse into it). Instead it just stopped as if it had originally started the room without first exiting its dock.

The Neato did not register the location of a base during the run, so it returned to the starting location. This is in the docking thread: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=13563#p83371
neato
Neato Special Guest

Postby love_my_neato » October 14th, 2010, 5:20 pm

neato wrote:The Neato did not register the location of a base during the run, so it returned to the starting location. This is in the docking thread: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=13563#p83371

Uh, actually this isn't the problem. Like others in this thread, I can start the robot from its base, let it clean the whole floor, and it will return with no problem. If, however, at some point during the cleaning I pause the robot and tell it to return to its base, it will go to an area a couple feet in front of the base but not dock (nor even try to dock). This happens even though I started it from the base.

As someone else said, it's not really a big deal. But it is clearly not the way it's supposed to work.
love_my_neato

Postby piokrza » October 14th, 2010, 8:03 pm

One other bug which I would like to add to the "Neato Bugs List" is the 'clock cycle' bug. My Neato changes its 24hr cycle into 12hr cycle each time when the display backlight turns off. Just, I set it into 24hr and after backlight turn off it setup itself into 12hr. Have someone else this bug?
past: Samsung SR8855 (bad sw) Samsung SR8895 (bad rotor) Neato XV-11/XV-15 Roomba 780 (bad battery) Scooba 385 Roomba 530 2x Scooba 230 (broken bladder), Samsung SR8980, Samsung VR10F71
current: Roomba 620 (bad CHM; repaired u/warranty) Scooba 330 Scooba 230
piokrza
Robot Master

Postby neato » October 14th, 2010, 8:24 pm

piokrza wrote:One other bug which I would like to add to the "Neato Bugs List" is the 'clock cycle' bug. My Neato changes its 24hr cycle into 12hr cycle each time when the display backlight turns off. Just, I set it into 24hr and after backlight turn off it setup itself into 12hr. Have someone else this bug?

This is a known issue. The 24 hour clock format is not remembered and it returns to 12 hour display.
neato
Neato Special Guest

Postby piokrza » October 14th, 2010, 8:42 pm

So, why it occurs? And for what are the another settings like e.g. 'Set wall/drop/brush OFF/ON' in 'Support'?
past: Samsung SR8855 (bad sw) Samsung SR8895 (bad rotor) Neato XV-11/XV-15 Roomba 780 (bad battery) Scooba 385 Roomba 530 2x Scooba 230 (broken bladder), Samsung SR8980, Samsung VR10F71
current: Roomba 620 (bad CHM; repaired u/warranty) Scooba 330 Scooba 230
piokrza
Robot Master

Postby justflie » October 14th, 2010, 10:15 pm

piokrza wrote:So, why it occurs? And for what are the another settings like e.g. 'Set wall/drop/brush OFF/ON' in 'Support'?

Sounds like a software thing, piokrza. I'm guessing a software update will start to iron out these bugs.
justflie
Robot Addict

Postby 7crwolf » October 21st, 2010, 6:14 pm

Question. I'm a new owner here, and I'm reading a lot of people talking about "hopeful eventual software updates..." So, will these alleged future updates be able to be applied by the customer? Because I'm not seeing an USB port or anything on it...
7crwolf

Postby djos » October 21st, 2010, 6:25 pm

There is a USB port near the charge port under a little plastic cover which is easily removed with a small flat head screwdriver.
Current Robot's:
Neato XV-11 w/ Pet Brush-bar & Filter, 3500mAh Batteries
iRobot Scooba 380

Previous Robots:
iRobot Roomba 562PE w/ Aerovac Bin & Sealed-bearing CHM
Evolution Mint 4200
djos
Robot Addict

Postby 7crwolf » October 21st, 2010, 7:45 pm

djos wrote:There is a USB port near the charge port under a little plastic cover which is easily removed with a small flat head screwdriver.

Good to know. So perhaps someday they can flash this thing with improved firmware... Thanks.
7crwolf

Postby djos » October 21st, 2010, 7:46 pm

Apparently an updated FW release is due around Jan 2011.
Current Robot's:
iRobot Scooba 380

Previous Robots:
Evolution Mint 4200
djos
Robot Addict

Postby 7crwolf » October 21st, 2010, 10:14 pm

FYI for all of my non-US resident friends; In short, they indicate support of these outside of the US in 6 months. I mean, obviously they were planning on international sales at some point or they wouldn't have included a 240V adapter.

Here's the response from Neato:

Thank you for contacting Neato Robotics.

I received a message you are experiencing an issue with your XV11. I am sorry, we are not shipping internationally at this time. Due to us not shipping overseas, we will not be able to issue you a prepaid return label, nor ship a replacement to Australia. If you wish to ship your robot back to us, once we receive the XV11, we can ship you a replacement to an address inside the United States or Canada. Because we are not set up to ship internationally, our warranty does not include shipping charges for any customers who choose to order early and use a freight forwarder.

The message states you are experiencing a buzzing base. While the buzzing base is very frustrating, it is not actually damaging anything on the robot, it is a piece inside the robot that is vibrating. There are not any further trouble shooting steps at this time, but you can continue to use the robot. We will be opening up our shipping to overseas in the next 6months, if you wish to hold off until then, we can assist you further at that time.

I appreciate your patience, if you wish to ship your XV11 back to us, and use a freight forwarder to get your replacement, please let me know and we can make those arraignments.

Regards,
Chrissie
Neato Robotics
Customer Care
www.neatorobotics.com
7crwolf

Postby djos » October 21st, 2010, 10:35 pm

This I why I paid priceusa an extra $20 for return insurance. 8)
Current Robot's:
iRobot Scooba 380

Previous Robots:
Evolution Mint 4200
djos
Robot Addict

Postby ivanilia » October 22nd, 2010, 5:50 pm

To have support internationally in six months is great news. If the bugs are solved i'll buy instantly.
Thanx neato and GL in tweaking! :D
ivanilia

Postby 7crwolf » October 25th, 2010, 3:21 am

I have 2 pieces of furniture in the house that are big enough for the main body to fit under, but too small to get the "protruding laser spinning tower" under. One is a very solid entertainment table, and the other is a wicker chair.

Neato doesn't like these things. In fact, Neato seems totally unaware of how tall it is. The wicker chair, Neato just goes under, dragging the chair a bit along the way. So, I now put something in front of the chair. Not a big deal I suppose, but annoying . The table is another story. It just jams itself head first under the table, trying really hard to keep going. It's not budging. It tries for about 15 seconds, then backs up and moves along, trying again a few inches down.

So, Neato Forum guy... Is this thing supposed to avoid objects taller than it? No? Perhaps then, in a software update, it might be good to teach this thing that it's taller than its bumper. I'm just saying. Seems like a pretty important aspect of an autonomous vacuum device.

I didn't intervene, and it eventually gave up, but it can't be good long term if it keeps trying to jam itself under stuff it's 1/4 inch too tall for. I still don't trust this thing to run by itself in the house, as I was hoping it would be able to do. I suppose I'll need to be buying another roll of magnet tape (and shipping it to Australia). I'm out of the first 15 feet :(
7crwolf

Next

Return to Neato Robotics