RPS Errors

News and information about the Neato XV-11 Robotic Vacuum. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

RPS Errors

Postby grinny11 » October 4th, 2010, 10:00 pm

I have been having frequent RPS errors on my neato. Have had it about 5 days and the first two days were okay but the last three days are bad. I had 6 rps errors in cleaning my house today.

I called CS and they said to charge the bot with the port on the back and not with the base. They said that sometimes this gives a "fuller" charge and can help out with the rps issue.

I hope so. This is my replacement and I really want it to work.
grinny11

Re: RPS Errors

Postby vic7767 » October 4th, 2010, 10:27 pm

Mine gave me an RPS error once but that was after running through several rooms and then did the error under a large coffee table two rooms away from the base. I don't let the Neato have that much range anymore and it has not given the error again.
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/

http://www.Robot-Doc.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby deploylinux » October 5th, 2010, 8:14 am

Seeing this problem too!

Just started seeing RPS errors for first time today after having the neato for roughly two weeks. I think there are a few things going on:

a) the neato seems to be having some kind of recharging problem -- frequently after it returns to base, I notice a mild buzzing sound emitting from the neato - moving the neato around seems to make the problem go away - however, I have seen a few cases where the neato has been charging for a few hours and then reports low battery rather quickly into a clean.

b) Over the weekend I saw the neato pausing a bit during cleaning with the a message about "regaining its position"

c) and then today, 4-5 RPS errors during 1 cleaning run...I finally got tired of it and told it to return to base and it got lost returning (first time that has ever happened).

It's possible that the recharging base just doesn't work well or is defective and that over a few weeks after using the neato the battery just isn't happy and starts to cause issues during cleaning runs ....I'll try getting rid of the base and see if that helps.
deploylinux

Postby eqwalker » October 5th, 2010, 9:02 am

Keep us posted...
eqwalker
Robot Addict

Postby grinny11 » October 5th, 2010, 5:27 pm

deploylinux

I was having the exact same problems as you. I thought it might have started because I started the robot in the middle of the house once. But customer service said that wasn't it.

Mine also makes that loud noise when charging when it does a quick charge. I figure it was doing a different kind of charge. Mine was also trying to find the base and kept trying to go to a completely opposite end of the house. It was trying this one corner for 10 minutes and finally I picked it up and put it back on the charger.

Thats when I called customer service and they told me to plug in the robot to charge it for 3-4 hours. I charged it for like 10 hours last night. Ran it today on my lunch and it seemed to be working great. Went an hour without any errors. It had 5 of them by that time yesterday.

Seemed to have fixed the problem. I will know better when I get home tonight and see if my house is vacuumed. I really hope it is.
grinny11

Postby deploylinux » October 7th, 2010, 2:00 am

No good news to report - two days of charging directly instead of w/ base and RPS errors continue (avg approx 1 per 5 minutes of runtime for a total of ~18 in a full 90 minute sweep).

Note that I'm also seeing the front bumper bouncing issue + clock resets now.

And, I'm not sure if the RPS errors are causing the vacuum to lose track of what areas it has already cleaned.

I see a lot of people RMA'ing their units -- I'm curious what percentage of users are able to use the XV-11 for a month+ w/o having to RMA...hopefully just initial batch probs.

I'll contact neato tomorrow to ask for an RMA.
deploylinux

Postby joeygil » October 7th, 2010, 11:11 am

Need to set up a poll for that (if that's possible on these forums).

I've had mine for a month and a week, and haven't RMA'd. Though, I do have the bouncy issue, which is being resolved with a new squeegee on the way. Also, I've had the clock reset twice. Of course my floors are now clean.
joeygil
Robot Addict

Postby Fraggboy » October 7th, 2010, 12:11 pm

joeygil wrote:Need to set up a poll for that (if that's possible on these forums).

It is possible when creating a new topic. Below the edit window, you will see where you can set up a Poll, if you would like to.
Chris

:confusion-shrug:
Website Question? Check out the FAQ section.
Roomba/Scooba Question? Check out the READ FIRST section.
:text-search:
Before posting, check out the improved Search engine. Your question might have been answered already.
Fraggboy
Robot Master

Postby neato » October 8th, 2010, 2:05 pm

Sorry to hear you are having trouble with your Neato.

Neither the battery level nor charging the Neato will influence the occurrence of RPS errors. If they become a persistent problem then call Neato customer support at (1-877-296-3286) and describe the behavior of the Neato.
neato
Neato Special Guest

Postby deploylinux » October 8th, 2010, 6:47 pm

Thanks for all who responded...

I hate going through the whole RMA thing so I took a big can of compressed air and sprayed it extensively at every sensor/opening I could find in the neato, and especially the range sensors on top, and for good measure drained and recharged the battery completely a few times...so basically trying to bring unit as completely as possible to as new condition as possible from home.

Took it for a final spin last night and this morning and RPS issues seem to be gone away.

thank goodness.

Still have to decide weather to give base another try and/or replace the squeege......I suppose a better faq entry for RPS entries will have to be created once there are enough other comments on what does/does not fix it.
deploylinux

Postby djos » October 21st, 2010, 4:32 am

Uh Oh, I've had RPS errors for the last 2 days despite weeks of doing a stellar job. :(

I've contacted Neato Support via the web - perhaps there is a FW update that can help otherwise it's back to Neato in the USA (very glad I bought that return insurance!).
Current Robot's:
Neato XV-11 w/ Pet Brush-bar & Filter, 3500mAh Batteries
iRobot Scooba 380

Previous Robots:
iRobot Roomba 562PE w/ Aerovac Bin & Sealed-bearing CHM
Evolution Mint 4200
djos
Robot Addict

Postby djos » October 24th, 2010, 12:23 am

I believe the RPS errors are FW not Hardware related as on my last 2 runs that I have manually initiated, after overnight charging, the XV-11 has got halfway thru the 2nd room (doesn't seem to matter which end of the house it starts from) and then has the RPS error. If I press "ok" it then starts back up and vacuums the rest of house with no problems at all.

I have reported this to Neato.
Current Robot's:
iRobot Scooba 380

Previous Robots:
Evolution Mint 4200
djos
Robot Addict

Postby djos » October 26th, 2010, 5:24 pm

Weird, im not getting in mission RPS errors anymore but yesterday it went off on it's mission and vacuumed the entire house with no problems and then when done parked itself in front of the dock but didn't actually dock.
Current Robot's:
iRobot Scooba 380

Previous Robots:
Evolution Mint 4200
djos
Robot Addict

Postby sageman » October 26th, 2010, 6:04 pm

odd

has anyone tryed just simpally blowing on the laser and detecter mabey dust buildup
400/disco disassembly's (everything down to the PCB)
http://www.robotreviews.com/wiki/400disco-disassembly

one day many years from now a person will say "right I'll just ROOMBA downstairs" instead of hoover
oh wait I already do :)

main bot: neato xv-15 (Europe xv-11)
to sell (one day): roomba sage and silver (both 400's)
sageman
Robot Addict

Postby 7crwolf » October 26th, 2010, 6:59 pm

For those following my journey, it's been a week, and I've probably run Neato 4 times. Yesterday, it finally navigated the whole house successfully, returning to its base as well (both to re-charge and finish, and when it was done). No RPS errors, and no missed rooms. :clap:

So, it makes me wonder, did the Neato teach me to modify MY behavior, or is it learning, or what? Either way, I'm happy it's behaving as it should, so it's ready to come off probation and work while I'm out of the house.
7crwolf

Postby johnnyh » October 29th, 2010, 10:51 am

I'm home today with an f'd up back and ran 'Anita'. She halted mid-clean in the middle of an open space with the much dreaded RPS error. I restarted her and she ran for another minute or so then klunk - same thing. As a test, since it was a Room Positioning System error so I figured she wouldn't be able to find her way home, I sent her home and she found it just fine.

I called tech support, and got a human right away and she was very helpful. She said that yes, they know about this issue and are working on it. The current fix is to turn robot off and to plug it in to the charger (rather than touching the charging strips on the base) for a few hours and this should 'reset the problem'

I asked her if it was related to charging and she said no, so i asked why you had to plug it into the charger directly. She wasn't exactly sure, but to call back if it didn't fix the problem.

I then asked her if there was a firmware update planned and she said yes, expected release in the dec / Jan timeframe. That they are working on ensuring its deployment process is stable... (yay)

My thoughts:

Since I don't believe the unit relys on the laser for returning to the base (rather it follows a 'breadcrumb' trail it creates based on the map it creates while it's cleaning), the RPS error is specific to the laser range finding system. NOTE: i do think it uses the laser to actually locate the dock when it's near. I suspect the laser bounces off the black strip on the base and returns a pattern that is the base's 'signature'.

Since Anita had run yesterday and she was buzzing against the dock when I got home, i had to manually adjust her position so that the buzzing stopped (and yet was still charging). Since the fix is to turn her off and plug her in, i still suspect that the battery management system is either at fault or plays a significant role in the issue.

John Hanzl
Author, Out of Hell's Kitchen
http://www.outofhellskitchen.com
johnnyh
Robot Groupie

Postby danwsmith » October 29th, 2010, 11:51 am

Hi gang...add me to the list of RPS error victims... Short: Had my XV-11 for 1 week, after 5 cleanings, got RPS error, couldn't clear, called CS who sent a replacement unit. Got my replacement unit two days ago, ran multiple cleanings OK, then moved the base to the end of the house, and after cleaning half the house and charging, bot cleaned half a room and got the dreaded RPS error once again. Like others above, CS said to plug in directly to BOT and recharge 2-3 hours. After reading all the comments above, I'm beginning to wonder if I should return this beast and wait for the Firmware fix in Dec/Jan as mentioned by someone. To decide, I need some help: Can anyone venture a guess on the answer to the following?

1. Is the workaround fix (plugging directly to the bot, not via the charger) a one - time reset/fix? Surely, Neato doesn't think it's OK to do this every time, or even every 5th time? Being able to use the charger is mandatory, right?
2. If there is to be a firmware fix in the next couple of months to this RPS charger problem, how will existing owners get the fix? Without a USB port, it looks like return to sender time, right? Free, right? Neato hasn't admitted the problem on their web site yet, so I'm suspicious, might be safter to send back now and wait for a new unit while I still can.

I assume someone at Neato is monitoring this forum. Response?
danwsmith

Postby johnnyh » October 29th, 2010, 12:03 pm

danwsmith wrote:Hi gang...add me to the list of RPS error victims... Short: Had my XV-11 for 1 week, after 5 cleanings, got RPS error, couldn't clear, called CS who sent a replacement unit. Got my replacement unit two days ago, ran multiple cleanings OK, then moved the base to the end of the house, and after cleaning half the house and charging, bot cleaned half a room and got the dreaded RPS error once again. Like others above, CS said to plug in directly to BOT and recharge 2-3 hours. After reading all the comments above, I'm beginning to wonder if I should return this beast and wait for the Firmware fix in Dec/Jan as mentioned by someone. To decide, I need some help: Can anyone venture a guess on the answer to the following?

1. Is the workaround fix (plugging directly to the bot, not via the charger) a one - time reset/fix? Surely, Neato doesn't think it's OK to do this every time, or even every 5th time? Being able to use the charger is mandatory, right?
2. If there is to be a firmware fix in the next couple of months to this RPS charger problem, how will existing owners get the fix? Without a USB port, it looks like return to sender time, right? Free, right? Neato hasn't admitted the problem on their web site yet, so I'm suspicious, might be safter to send back now and wait for a new unit while I still can.

I assume someone at Neato is monitoring this forum. Response?

The unit does have an on-board USB port. A search of this forum will even reveal pics of the port in a tear down of the unit. This port will be used for the firmware update. No venture as to it fixing the RPS problem, tho I sure hope the issue is code rather than hardware...

John Hanzl
Author, Out of Hell's Kitchen
www.outofhellskitchen.com
johnnyh
Robot Groupie

Postby sageman » October 29th, 2010, 12:15 pm

the only differance beetween plugging it in and the base is that you get a cleaner charge if you like with no interuptions buzzing contacts etc

if you look next to che charging port there is a small rubber bung underthere is a mini usb port

you may want to try if the plugging it in for a few hours doesent work plugging it in for a day i dont think it will do any harm to the bot just this may fix the problem instead

from what outhers are saying the rps may be due to lower voltage in batterys and the charging system thinks the batterys are charged when not this also messes up the battery voltage meater meing that neato goes around when battery flat
because the voltage is lower the moter for the spinning laser spinns slower and the detecter doesent have time to see the laser beam so the machine cant see so there is an error

by plugging it in for a day may in a way reset the charging system so it gets all the correct infomation

the fluctuations may be due to the buzzing the neato may charge for a second then not making the charging circuit go haywire
just my idea of what happens but not sure tho
400/disco disassembly's (everything down to the PCB)
http://www.robotreviews.com/wiki/400disco-disassembly

one day many years from now a person will say "right I'll just ROOMBA downstairs" instead of hoover
oh wait I already do :)

main bot: neato xv-15 (Europe xv-11)
to sell (one day): roomba sage and silver (both 400's)
sageman
Robot Addict

Postby eqwalker » October 29th, 2010, 2:04 pm

I honestly believe that the buzzing issue (don't mean to get off topic) is due to the alignment of the base. I am able to create the buzzing on mine by tilting the base a little bit. A closer look at the base will show that even with it flat against the baseboard there is a slight slant in the base that connects to the XV-11 to accommodate the slant on the back of the XV-11. Take a look at it and see. The bottom charging "wire" on the XV-11 is slightly more inward on the bot than the top wire. The base has a slight angle to match with it. So far with mine (20+ runs) I have not had any errors or buzzing and it has completed all rooms that I have allowed it to clean. Hopefully I won't jinx myself. :D
eqwalker
Robot Addict

Next

Return to Neato Robotics