Will Roomba ruin furniture n gets stuck in chair/table legs?

The very latest news and updates for the iRobot Roomba robotic vacuum, the Scooba Robotic Washer and the Dirt Dog workshop sweeper. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Will Roomba ruin furniture n gets stuck in chair/table legs?

Postby Tide Will Roll! » December 24th, 2010, 10:50 am

Before I turn the Roomba loose in my house, is it going to get stuck in my dining room or breakfast room since there are chairs and barstools all over the place?
Is the Roomba going to beat the hell out of all my fine furniture and make it look awful?
I have a 560(so far thats all:))

Bert

Roll Tide!
Last edited by Tide Will Roll! on December 25th, 2010, 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tide Will Roll!

Re: Roomba ruins furniture and gets stuck in chair/table leg

Postby roboroomba » December 24th, 2010, 11:01 am

It can get stuck in the bar stools and chairs that have legs that are really close together but can still let the roomba in. It will just turn and run into a leg, then turn and run into a leg, and just continue doing so until it happens to get out. if you are concerned that this will damage your chairs, than a bumper pad would be a good investment.
roomba 510, roomba 440, roomba 550 (parts bot), roomba red (programing robot)
roboroomba
Robot Addict

Postby sageman » December 24th, 2010, 11:19 am

there could also be loops it gets stuck in

mine most of the time it cleans my living room will go up and down 1 wall for about 1 minute before getting out of the loop

ive broken it up now with a toy box
400/disco disassembly's (everything down to the PCB)
http://www.robotreviews.com/wiki/400disco-disassembly

one day many years from now a person will say "right I'll just ROOMBA downstairs" instead of hoover
oh wait I already do :)

main bot: neato xv-15 (Europe xv-11)
to sell (one day): roomba sage and silver (both 400's)
sageman
Robot Addict

Postby poconogal » December 24th, 2010, 12:04 pm

My dining room furniture had some stain rubbed off from daily use of my 581 after only about a month, so I purchased the Ultra Soft Bumper, sold by http://www.robotaddons.com. I've had no more damage since installing it. If you have curved legs, where the top of Roomba's bumper can hit first at certain points, get the double set. I've got the thin bumper on the top of Roomba's bumper, and the wider one at the bottom to protect my curved furniture legs. These bumpers also protect your moldings too.

I also put one of these Ultra Soft bumpers on my mother's Roomba, and she has had no damage whatsoever.

Here's a link to a review I did:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12702
Connie

The robot did it...
poconogal
Robot Addict

Postby Tide Will Roll! » December 24th, 2010, 3:14 pm

Thanks, thats exactly what I need:)

Bert
Roll Tide!
Tide Will Roll!

Re: Will Roomba ruin furniture n gets stuck in chair/table l

Postby piokrza » December 25th, 2010, 9:34 am

Mine get stuck only once - under too low furniture - while the front of the robot fit in it, the turret doesn't :(
past: Samsung SR8855 (bad sw) Samsung SR8895 (bad rotor) Neato XV-11/XV-15 Roomba 780 (bad battery) Scooba 385 Roomba 530 2x Scooba 230 (broken bladder), Samsung SR8980, Samsung VR10F71 Hobot-168
current: Roomba 620 (bad CHM; repaired u/warranty) Scooba 330 Scooba 230
piokrza
Robot Master

Postby roboroomba » December 25th, 2010, 10:02 am

Our kitchen cabinets have a little indent under them that is just high enough for both my roomba 510 and 550 to get there "turret" stuck. what is weird is that I always have to rescue the 510, but the 550 has newer firmware i guess because it can always get its self out.
roomba 510, roomba 440, roomba 550 (parts bot), roomba red (programing robot)
roboroomba
Robot Addict

Postby sazzleevans » December 25th, 2010, 5:13 pm

I added the soft bumper too. Works a treat!
sazzleevans
Robot Groupie

Postby BotCat » July 2nd, 2011, 11:05 pm

First off, I want to sincerely apologize for bumping an older thread; but I wanted to graciously thank everyone for their insight on the whole "roomba ruining furniture" topic. I've heard many great things concerning the roomba's effectiveness, but I had always feared that it would ruin my furniture; or worse, ruin my hardwood floors. Nonetheless, I think I'll give it the good ol' college try!

Speaking of furniture, do you think the roomba would ruin the patio furniture in my sun room if perhaps used in there? Thanks, folks! =D
Erin
Will a roomba hurt my Little Rock Patio Furniture? I would certainly hope not. :)
BotCat

Postby vic7767 » July 2nd, 2011, 11:16 pm

It will depend on what model Roomba you get. If you get the 500, 600, or 700 model then it has light touch sensors that slow the robot down when approaching objects. But, if the objects are dark in color or are very thin vertically then the robot may bump them without slowing down.
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/

http://www.Robot-Doc.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby iMayne » July 3rd, 2011, 3:03 am

vic7767 wrote:...But, if the objects are dark in color or are very thin vertically then the robot may bump them without slowing down.

I was about to say that ;)
UK Business Coming Soon
iMayne
Robot Addict

Postby poconogal » July 3rd, 2011, 10:31 am

iMayne wrote:
vic7767 wrote:...But, if the objects are dark in color or are very thin vertically then the robot may bump them without slowing down.

I was about to say that ;)

Yep, my furniture is dark -- hence the use of the Ultrasoft bumpers. :)
Connie

The robot did it...
poconogal
Robot Addict

Postby BigLue » September 22nd, 2011, 4:45 am

vic7767 wrote:It will depend on what model Roomba you get. If you get the 500, 600, or 700 model then it has light touch sensors that slow the robot down when approaching objects. But, if the objects are dark in color or are very thin vertically then the robot may bump them without slowing down.

my mum purchased me 600 model with light sensors.. and a half of furniture is dark-brown.. :(
BigLue

Postby kuelumpur » January 17th, 2012, 8:40 am

Installation of a soft bumper is a good idea. A soft bumper could be installed in the robot or the furniture itself.
kuelumpur

Return to iRobot Roomba and Scooba Chat