530 casualty - burning smell and roomba brush error

The very latest news and updates for the iRobot Roomba robotic vacuum, the Scooba Robotic Washer and the Dirt Dog workshop sweeper. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

530 casualty - burning smell and roomba brush error

Postby bravelittleroomba » March 9th, 2011, 2:17 am

Today I was running my 530 out in the living room and after about 5 minutes it gave the "please clean roomba's brushes" error and stopped. I'd cleaned them out thoroughly yesterday but did so again, started him again, few minutes later same thing. Taking a closer look I smelt a burning smell.

Called iRobot and they said they'll be sending me a replacement and to then when I get the replacement to ship my old 530 back to them. This breaks my heart, oddly, I'm attached to the little guy. But I agreed and they said they've shipped me a replacement.

Now I decided to have a look at him. I opened up the CHM and the gears looked clean as a whistle. {It's the black CHM.} I noticed that burn smell again though and looked under them. Still no hair or anything but I found a few hairs seemingly wound into the metal rings, I pulled out what I saw, and noticed that the largest gear was covering up a metal ring with a lot of brownish residue on it, the one with the few hairs I pulled out {really a few--it's mostly this brown crud}, and by the smell this was the source of the 'burning' odour I smelt earlier. Cleaned out what I could but noticed that though the gears are clean, when I have the big one in with the others and try to do a manual turn there is a lot of resistance. Not sure what is going on here but if anyone has info feel free to enlighten me! Is there a chance of saving this little guy? {Kind of late though...I got to send him back once his replacement arrives :( }

Oh and a warranty question--my 90 day warranty on this little guy ends in only a few days, chance are it'll be over already by the time the new replacement roomba arrives. Does the warranty start new on the replacement or is it just going to last only as long as the original warranty?
bravelittleroomba
Robot Addict

Re: 530 casualty - burning smell and roomba brush error

Postby vic7767 » March 9th, 2011, 12:09 pm

You have suffered the very well known problem with the Black CHM and can be resolved by simply replacing the two shielded ball b earings with better Sealed ball bearings. Check out this info: http://www.vic7767.com/black-chm-replac ... aring-set/
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/

http://www.Robot-Doc.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby bravelittleroomba » March 9th, 2011, 12:28 pm

Oh wow a $30 fix! Thank you so much!

Is it hard to actually install them {and remove the shielded bearings}? This is terrible design, sounds to me like iRobot's cure for the red CHM's issues was worse than the disease.

I feel bad now, the replacement bot's already on its way. Now that an easy fix is known and cheap I don't know what to do, I don't want to just send him back where he'd be scrapped.
bravelittleroomba
Robot Addict

Postby Xamindar » March 9th, 2011, 1:31 pm

The sad thing is, the replacement bot will have a worse off CHM. One that you will have to drill and file away at if you want to add bearings to protect it. Maybe you can swap CHMs before you return your "broken" one.
Xamindar
Robot Addict

Postby Gordon » March 9th, 2011, 1:41 pm

bravelittleroomba wrote:...Is it hard to actually install them {and remove the shielded bearings}?
Removal is easy, but to accomplish a proper installation you must pay attention to, and correct as needed, the degree of interference fits of bearing rings to bores & gear-hubs.

To get a better view of what got into your bearings, and to get some feel for the bearings' replacement task, read this post: viewtopic.php?p=64608#p64608 , then read the rest of the page it is on.

If you have little mechanical aptitude, plan on sending the black CHM asm to vic7767 for its rework.
... I don't know what to do, I don't want to just send him back where he'd be scrapped.
Right! Scrapping black decks is a shame. It is also a shame that the (replacement) colored CHM will be doing nothing to impede debris moving right into its gearing. Eventually you will be faced with periodically tearing down that CHM to clean and re-lube its gears; or buy a new Roomba.
Gordon
Robot Master

Postby bravelittleroomba » March 9th, 2011, 2:46 pm

I can open and clean up the gears a lot more easily than I can deal with the bearings problem on this one. You mean the green CHM? I was thinking that was an improvement on this thing just because of ease of cleaning. I've not even had this roomba 3 months yet, and he has a lot of help from other robots to keep the hair and debris levels down.

No, I meant it was a shame to scrap a perfectly good working roomba.

There a way to get the debris out of the bearings? I'm trying to pick it out with tweezers and a pin and not getting very far.
bravelittleroomba
Robot Addict

Postby Gordon » March 9th, 2011, 3:28 pm

bravelittleroomba wrote:... You mean the green CHM? I was thinking that was an improvement on this thing just because of ease of cleaning.
RED & GRN are fundamentally identical. The only improvement the GRN has is a foamed plastic seal around the motor's output shaft occupying the narrow gap between motor and brushes gear-cases -- a very important addition. Some BLK decks have that seal too. vic7767 can add that seal to a CHM re-build.
...No, I meant it was a shame to scrap a perfectly good working roomba.
The robot might go into the 'reman" process, but the BLK CHM will be trashed or re-cycle-disseminated. IMO, iRobot wants to erase all evidence that they (iRobot's bean counters) made such a gross mistake by not paying attention to what engineering people told them must be done to achieve a working CHM using sealed ball-bearings.
There a way to get the debris out of the bearings? I'm trying to pick it out with tweezers and a pin and not getting very far.
You will not succeed by doing that. I gather you have not read the linked thread that I posted for you. There are ways to clean those bearings, but after you spend the required effort doing the work, you still have un-sealed bearings, they won't be as clean as when first mfd, and their balls and grooves will have been damaged by pulverized grit (silica dust); and if you consider time spent as having any monetary value you will have spent more than the cost of a pair of replacement sealed bearings!
Gordon
Robot Master

Postby bravelittleroomba » March 9th, 2011, 5:01 pm

Sorry I didn't read that, Gordon. I'll go back and have a look. Thanks for the info.

Edit: Wait I did read that. I guess not through the entire thing though, I'll go have another look.
bravelittleroomba
Robot Addict

Postby roboroomba » March 9th, 2011, 6:20 pm

I wonder what Irobot would do if you sent the old 530 back with the new green chm in it :D
roomba 510, roomba 440, roomba 550 (parts bot), roomba red (programing robot)
roboroomba
Robot Addict

Postby bravelittleroomba » March 10th, 2011, 1:31 am

I would not do that anyway XD

...What I have done is switch out the black CHM for the mean time to a red CHM from an otherwise non working bot that I recently cleaned out. He's working fine now and also I discovered that the battery lasts longer now too. The effort required to turn the brushes was draining the otherwise good battery abnormally.

iRobot has told me that when I get the replacement I won't have to return the CHM anyway, they are sending us a new CHM with the replacement.
bravelittleroomba
Robot Addict

Return to iRobot Roomba and Scooba Chat