Roomba discovery does not turn on (no lights)

The very latest news and updates for the iRobot Roomba robotic vacuum, the Scooba Robotic Washer and the Dirt Dog workshop sweeper. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Roomba discovery does not turn on (no lights)

Postby vlad » April 8th, 2011, 3:28 pm

My 4230 no longer reacts when I press the power button. No lights go on, and no beeps are emitted. It started happening after I took her apart to clean the CHM. I'm lost trying to find explanations for the behaviors I see in my troubleshooting and where to go next.

Here is what I've tried so far. Since the battery was fully charged, I suspected the faceplate was malfunctioning, so I tried a different faceplate on this robot and still no lights. Then I plugged in the charger and the power button went on. That ruled out the faceplate.

Then I suspected the motherboard. I used a voltage meter on the connector pins going to the faceplate and there was a differential between several of the pins. I figured that to mean that the motherboard is not the culprit. It also told me that the connections to the motherboard were all fine as well.

I attached a voltage meter to the battery and, to my surprise, it only read 6V. This is odd since the robot was previously sitting on a charger for three days. I put the battery into a different robot with new MOSFETs and plugged in the charger. In another surprise the power button blinked red, it didn't pulse, but blinked quickly. I've never seen that before. After a night of charging the power button no longer blinks and the battery still has the same voltage reading.

That leads me to believe that either the charger or the battery had a breakdown as I was cleaning out the CHM. Can anyone think of an explanation of how that could have happened or what to do to diagnose further?
vlad

Re: Roomba discovery does not turn on (no lights)

Postby vlad » April 8th, 2011, 5:02 pm

An update, I used the charger to directly charge the battery as described here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=13212 twice, first for 15 minutes then for 30. After the first time I plugged the battery into the robot, and turned it on. The power button lit up green for a second, but then went to red and then turned off. I figured this was a sign of success, so I charged it again for twice as long, but when put into the robot it stayed on for only a second, just like the first time. I kept the battery in the robot and plugged in the charger. The power button pulsed orange, just like normal, but only for about ten seconds, after that the power button started blinking red again.

Still lost at where the problem could be.
vlad

Postby roboroomba » April 8th, 2011, 5:36 pm

It sounds like your roombas battery is dead, I would say to wait and see if any one else has any thing to say that is different. but I would say you probably need a new battery
roomba 510, roomba 440, roomba 550 (parts bot), roomba red (programing robot)
roboroomba
Robot Addict

Postby sageman » April 8th, 2011, 6:15 pm

stop charging that battery with roomba as you could very easerly kill the the mosfets
400/disco disassembly's (everything down to the PCB)
http://www.robotreviews.com/wiki/400disco-disassembly

one day many years from now a person will say "right I'll just ROOMBA downstairs" instead of hoover
oh wait I already do :)

main bot: neato xv-15 (Europe xv-11)
to sell (one day): roomba sage and silver (both 400's)
sageman
Robot Addict

Postby mfortuna » April 9th, 2011, 9:08 am

Does the battery get warm when you charge it with the external method? Did you measure the voltage? You could try using a automotive tailight to perform a load test. I think that procedure is shown on vic7767's web site.
Mike
Reds x 3, Dirt Dog, Disco (now a parts bot), Create, Scooba 350, and Security Dawg
Evolution Mint
Neato XV-11
mfortuna
Robot Master

Postby vlad » April 9th, 2011, 6:26 pm

No, the battery does not get warm when being charged either directly or inside the vacuum. I also rebuilt the battery using different cells and tried charging it using the same charger, also, does not get hot. To confirm even further, the voltage at the charger is 20V, and not 22V. That means the problem is in the charger, so I ordered a new one.

I find it odd that a bad charger connected to a vacuum via a homebase could actually drain an almost new battery in three days. Is that a sign that the MOSFETS are broken as well?
vlad

Postby sandyhamby » June 16th, 2011, 8:05 pm

Need help.....new to this forum thing also...i have 4230 discovery that will not power on either even with a fully charged battery that I use in another roomba. I get no lights nothing. any ideals as to whats wrong? thanks in advance for any suggestions
sandyhamby

Postby vic7767 » June 16th, 2011, 9:20 pm

vlad wrote:I find it odd that a bad charger connected to a vacuum via a homebase could actually drain an almost new battery in three days. Is that a sign that the MOSFETS are broken as well?

There is a sub-system inside the Roomba that is always on and monitoring for IR remote control signals from a remote control unit. Just like leaving the dome light or radio on in your car, the battery will become depleated.
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/

http://www.Robot-Doc.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby mfortuna » June 16th, 2011, 9:28 pm

The other drain occurs right when you put the roomba on the dock. When the roomba attempts to charge the battery the processor is doing a fair amount of activity and will draw a bit more current then when it is just waiting for IR.
Mike
Reds x 3, Dirt Dog, Disco (now a parts bot), Create, Scooba 350, and Security Dawg
Evolution Mint
Neato XV-11
mfortuna
Robot Master

Return to iRobot Roomba and Scooba Chat