How well does a Roomba work with long hairs?

The very latest news and updates for the iRobot Roomba robotic vacuum, the Scooba Robotic Washer and the Dirt Dog workshop sweeper. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

How well does a Roomba work with long hairs?

Postby Marlen » June 10th, 2011, 3:37 am

Hii!

I'm considering buying a Roomba and wanted to so some research before I spend a huge amount of cash on something that doesn't really work for me.

I'm a girl with thick dark very long hair and the reason I want to get a Roomba is becouse I'm getting sick of my hairs lyring around everywhere on the floor. If I vaccuum or sweep the next day it's full of hairs again (it's quite common with long haired people). And I have a light colored floor so the hairs really stand out.

But does it work on long hairs? The hairs don't get stuck in the machine? I'm afraid they'll get stuck in the bristles and **** up the whole robot.

(sorry for my English, it's my third language)

Marlen
Marlen

Re: How well does a Roomba work with long hairs?

Postby Kimsim » June 10th, 2011, 6:06 am

Hi,

Actually my wife also have a long hairs and same as you of my facing everyday and looks at the floor have a lots of long hairs, some time I have need to pike up one by one.

After I am using a roomba totally solving a problem, without and unworkable, still work well.
So far my roomba gave me a good choice, why I didnt knew this early?

But I will recommended you buy the roomba with AeroVac Bin, it is really help to pike up more long hairs into the bin and keep well on Cleaning head module.
My recommend Roomba 550 with AeroVac Bin.
does not regret after you purchased this roomba 550 AeroVac bin or Roomba 572 pet series.

Thanks hope you don't choose the wrong one.
Kimsim

Postby Xamindar » June 10th, 2011, 2:16 pm

Yes, make sure you get one with the Aerovac bin. Hairs will still wrap around the brushes causing you to have to clean them occasionally but much less with the Aerovac bin.
Xamindar
Robot Addict

Postby mig_akira » June 10th, 2011, 3:41 pm

I have long hair, and my girlfriend has as well. THe roomba does a pretty good job at picking it up, and it's really surprising how much hair it picks, even when the floor seems clean.

I have a normal vacuum bin, and I can say that the hair does get tangled in the brushes, but it's not all that hard to take it off.
mig_akira

Postby Brerarnold » June 10th, 2011, 9:36 pm

I have shoulder-length grey hair, and that shows up pretty well on the floor also. If I run my Roomba often, I don't have much of a problem. I don't even have to clean the brushes every time I empty the dust bin, although I probably should.
Roomba 560 "Senior"
Neato XV11 "Junior"
Brerarnold

Postby tmnCA » June 11th, 2011, 8:46 pm

I have hair like you - very long and tick, sheds a lot. It does put a lot of wear on my Roomba which runs every day on carpet. I find the CHM (cleaning head module, which is the easily replaceable part that contains the gears, brushes and motor) needs replacing every 6-8 weeks. The carpet puts more drag on it too. I clean the brush ends off after every run and they always have my hair wrapped around.

However I still consider the Roomba WELL worth it, it works great cleans great and never gets stuck and makes its way back to the dock every time. It keeps the carpet very clean and I love coming home to a clean carpet. It keeps the cat hair from building up or getting ground into the carpet fibers.

Mine is still under irobot warranty so they send me a new CHM when it breaks. I bought the Roomba at Hammacher for the lifetime warranty but I am now unsure how valuable that warranty is in my case since I'd have to send back the entire robot and pay shipping (irobot just sends me the CHM which I can replace in 2 minutes myself).

I would recommend getting the $250 Costco 550 with aerovac, for the first year you will get free CHMs if they break and after that you can buy them for $50.

I figure it's still far cheaper than hiring a housecleaner!
tmnCA
Robot Addict

Postby iMayne » June 20th, 2011, 11:13 am

Any Roomba with do with an AeroVac Bin equipped.
UK Business Coming Soon
iMayne
Robot Addict

Return to iRobot Roomba and Scooba Chat