What model Roomba do I have ?

The very latest news and updates for the iRobot Roomba robotic vacuum, the Scooba Robotic Washer and the Dirt Dog workshop sweeper. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

What model Roomba do I have ?

Postby remi1au » July 27th, 2011, 7:58 am

IMG_0043[1].JPG
Hi all,
I recently (perhaps foolishly) purchased what was claimed to be an iRobot Roomba 530 on eBay.
Even though it was described as new it is quite clearly used, but that is not the main problem. The unit I received does not have any identifying labels and on the underside can be seen where a sticky label has been removed. The main problem though is that there are no contacts on the base plate for charging at the base station that was included in the very knocked about box. I suspect that I might have a lower spec model being passed off as a 530.
Thoughts anyone ?
PS I am currently waiting for a response from the eBay seller re this matter.
Attachments
IMG_0045[1].JPG
IMG_0044[1].JPG
remi1au

Re: What model Roomba do I have ?

Postby mfortuna » July 27th, 2011, 8:06 am

It sounds like you got a roomba 510. Why Irobot chose to produce a model with no contacts is beyond me. They could have not included the home base which is what they used to do for the 400 series.

But anyway, this sounds like a bit of fraud to me. You got a used 510 instead of a new 530.
Mike
Reds x 3, Dirt Dog, Disco (now a parts bot), Create, Scooba 350, and Security Dawg
Evolution Mint
Neato XV-11
mfortuna
Robot Master

Postby bolero1000 » July 27th, 2011, 9:34 am

Hi,

check the serial number ( http://uksupport.irobot.com/app/answers ... y-robot%3F )
MM Manufacturer ID: 'JE' or ‘KY’ or 'PR'
LLLLL Model number (00000 - 09999)
YY Year (since 2000) this robot was manufactured
mm Month this robot was manufactured
dd Day of the month this robot was manufactured
RR Model revision for this robot
SSSSS Order that robot was made on date of manufacture

Just my 2 cents .....
Ciaooooooooooo,
Luciano
bolero1000
Robot Addict

Postby mfortuna » July 27th, 2011, 10:05 am

He said there were no labels so maybe that means there is no serial number available?
Mike
Reds x 3, Dirt Dog, Disco (now a parts bot), Create, Scooba 350, and Security Dawg
Evolution Mint
Neato XV-11
mfortuna
Robot Master

Postby bolero1000 » July 27th, 2011, 10:10 am

Hi,
mfortuna wrote:He said there were no labels so maybe that means there is no serial number available?

He wrote that a label was apparently removed underside, not under the bin, perhaps it's still there ...
Naturally if also this serial number label is missing, my post could be ignored ..

Ciaooooooo,
Luciano
bolero1000
Robot Addict

Postby bhylak » July 27th, 2011, 1:43 pm

"Even though it was described as new it is quite clearly used, but that is not the main problem."

Don't call it a problem. Call it a challenge. Add docking pads! :P

But seriously, you got ripped off. I agree with mfortuna, I can't see why they would ever make a roomba without docking pads. Without a dock, it'll just die in some random corner.
Ben

Homemade Telepresence Robot:
http://mayarover.blogspot.com/
http://www.instructables.com/id/MAYA-Te ... nce-Rover/

There are only 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't
bhylak
Robot Addict

Postby vic7767 » July 27th, 2011, 6:29 pm

Sad to say but it may take more than just adding the docking pads. Either a new bottom plate with pad holes or cutting of the existing bottom plate will be required. The addition of binocular sensors or another Printed Circuit Board may also be required.
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/

http://www.Robot-Doc.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby JEfromCanada » July 27th, 2011, 6:54 pm

remi1au wrote:Hi all,
I recently (perhaps foolishly) purchased what was claimed to be an iRobot Roomba 530 on eBay.
Even though it was described as new it is quite clearly used, but that is not the main problem. The unit I received does not have any identifying labels and on the underside can be seen where a sticky label has been removed. The main problem though is that there are no contacts on the base plate for charging at the base station that was included in the very knocked about box. I suspect that I might have a lower spec model being passed off as a 530.
Thoughts anyone ?
PS I am currently waiting for a response from the eBay seller re this matter.

No need to mess around. Tell the ebay seller that this is not the model and condition advertised, and demand a refund. If you bought from an auction that offers buyer protection, you will get refunded by ebay.
Current robots:
Roomba Discovery 4210 (not connected)
Roomba 560 (not connected)
Neato XV-11 SW version 3.1.17844, LDS version 2.6.15295, with Pet Brush and Vic's filter
JEfromCanada
Robot Addict

Postby remi1au » July 28th, 2011, 12:59 am

Thanks guys ... so, would you all agree with the first reply that I have a 510 rather than a 530 ?
Or is it not possible to tell from the pics ?
remi1au

Postby bolero1000 » July 28th, 2011, 3:07 am

Hi,
remi1au wrote:Thanks guys ... so, would you all agree with the first reply that I have a 510 rather than a 530 ?
Or is it not possible to tell from the pics ?

From the pics tell no (guess yes, no contacts etc.), did you check removing the bin if the serial number label is present or removed ?

If present you're sure.

Just my 2 cents ......
Ciaooooooooo,
Luciano
bolero1000
Robot Addict

Postby remi1au » July 28th, 2011, 5:25 am

No sticker on the bin either ... I guess the seller has something to hide :(
I am waiting for the seller to respond to my "Item not as described" query ... see what happens ...
remi1au

Postby bolero1000 » July 28th, 2011, 6:45 am

Hi,
remi1au wrote:No sticker on the bin either ... I guess the seller has something to hide :(
I am waiting for the seller to respond to my "Item not as described" query ... see what happens ...

ACK, just to doublecheck the label isn't exactly on the bin, but on the dust bin well ( http://uksupport.irobot.com/app/answers ... y-robot%3F). If you checked it & no label (I could not see how it's possible that removed by itself ..) it's really likely that your seller has something to hide ...

Ciaooooooooo,
Luciano
bolero1000
Robot Addict

Postby Dipweed » July 28th, 2011, 11:34 am

Sorry
Last edited by Dipweed on July 29th, 2011, 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dipweed

Postby Fraggboy » July 28th, 2011, 11:38 am

Please reply with the eBay member ID so I can add their name to the List of eBay users that have treated RR Members Right/Wrong (Wrong in this case). I hope you get a refund.
Chris

:confusion-shrug:
Website Question? Check out the FAQ section.
Roomba/Scooba Question? Check out the READ FIRST section.
:text-search:
Before posting, check out the improved Search engine. Your question might have been answered already.
Fraggboy
Robot Master

Postby sageman » July 28th, 2011, 12:14 pm

530 has contacts (im sure)
400/disco disassembly's (everything down to the PCB)
http://www.robotreviews.com/wiki/400disco-disassembly

one day many years from now a person will say "right I'll just ROOMBA downstairs" instead of hoover
oh wait I already do :)

main bot: neato xv-15 (Europe xv-11)
to sell (one day): roomba sage and silver (both 400's)
sageman
Robot Addict

Postby roboroomba » July 28th, 2011, 2:02 pm

I dont know what you guys are talking about. There is no diffrence between the 510 and 530.
All the parts from the CB up are the same except for the Face Plate.
That is it.
Is it a 530 face plate or a 510 face plate. OMG!
Its a face plate issue!

there is a difference. the 530 has docking contacts and a dock. the 510 does not.

I have a 510 and I have opens it up and I can say the pcb i missing the plug for the contacts. I also think it is missing some other docking related stuff.
roomba 510, roomba 440, roomba 550 (parts bot), roomba red (programing robot)
roboroomba
Robot Addict

Postby remi1au » July 28th, 2011, 6:27 pm

Hi all, on further inspection there is a sticker inside the chassis that is visible after the bin is removed.
From what I can tell from deciphering the code it appears to be a 510, perhaps someone can confirm.
Picture attached.

Cheers.
Attachments
IMG_0046.JPG
remi1au

Postby bolero1000 » July 28th, 2011, 6:52 pm

Hi,
remi1au wrote:Hi all, on further inspection there is a sticker inside the chassis that is visible after the bin is removed.
From what I can tell from deciphering the code it appears to be a 510, perhaps someone can confirm.
Picture attached.

Cheers.

I had the feeling it was better to insist .. :wink:
Yes, you've a 510 made the 17 sep 2008 if you're interested.

Ciaooooooooooo,
Luciano
bolero1000
Robot Addict

Postby bhylak » July 29th, 2011, 7:18 am

So you have a 510. Unlike some people have incorrectly stated on the forum, the 510 and the 530 are very different. (I'd choose a disco over a 510) The 510 will not return back to base and charge, because it can't. You must manually find it, and plug it in.
Ben

There are only 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't
bhylak
Robot Addict

Postby bhylak » July 29th, 2011, 1:06 pm

vic7767 wrote:Sad to say but it may take more than just adding the docking pads. Either a new bottom plate with pad holes or cutting of the existing bottom plate will be required. The addition of binocular sensors or another Printed Circuit Board may also be required.

Cutting the bottom plate wouldn't be hard. It might be able to be docked via a computer...
Ben

bhylak
Robot Addict

Next

Return to iRobot Roomba and Scooba Chat