bObsweep Delivered Broken

Read Reviews of the Roomba, Scooba, Dirt Dog, and all other robotic appliances. Or, feel free to write your own.

bObsweep Delivered Broken

Postby cmoschini » October 18th, 2011, 1:15 am

I'm surprised this is the first review of this device here.

The bObsweep appears to be a Canadian competitor to the Roomba. It comes with a mop attachment on the base model, a novel UV light for killing bacteria, and a HEPA filter - also base model.

I ordered it off of Bobsweep.com where they advertised free shipping inside Canada. The website isn't coded all that well and appeared unable to charge me shipping no matter where I lived, so I received free shipping to the United States (Los Angeles).

I received a bill from Masih, Inc in my email, which came as a surprise since this company is never mentioned on the website. However the line items in the bill were just the one, for the bObsweep.

The bObsweep arrived 9 days later. I didn't have to sign for it.

The instruction manual is anemic. It says you plugin the base station and it should light up - it does not. It says you charge the bObsweep by telling it to dock, but it's delivered dead so you have to guess your way through it.

It turns out the actual instructions for first usage are:

* Remove the tape on both charger panels on the bottom
* Plug the bObsweep in with the charging cable provided for the base station (leave base station unplugged)
* Wait 6 hours for it to charge
* Swap the cable out into the base station
* Tell the bObsweep to dock by either pressing "Docking" (why not just Dock?) on the remote, or pressing the left-most button on the bObsweep 3 times, then the right-most "Play" button.

What remains of this review is hopefully about a defective bObsweep; if they all ship like this, I think Masih, Inc will soon be bankrupt with all its returns.

bObsweep is advertised to be an intelligent robot. Given its performance so far, if it ever does vacuum my floors, it would be better advertised as "The idiot that cleans your carpets." Asking it to find your base station is supposed to involve 28 mapping sensors including an IR broadcast from the base station that it finds, locks onto, and travels towards. Instead it wanders aimlessly around my apartment, even if it starts 1 meter / 3 feet away from the base station. I tried sitting it down next to the base station only to find it would back away rapidly, turn and run off.

The worst part of this particular bObsweep and I again hope others have better experiences is that every 10-20 seconds it throws an Error code. When it does so it comes to a start and makes endless loud beeping sounds until you do something about it being dead in the middle of the floor. The manual has no guidance here. Looking online there's a self-help troubleshooting section which lists 8 Error Codes, 00-08. Mine throws a 1. Not an 01, a 1. Notably this 1 is the same 1 it had on when I chose the mode, so it's likely this isn't even a real error code.

In any case error code 01 is a jammed right wheel. Tipping the bObsweep on its side, both wheels spin fine, at the same rate. While it does drive for its 10-20 seconds, it generally drives straight.

I can't recommend the bObsweep. If anything this is buyer beware. I'll most likely tell the manufacturer to get me an RMA and get a Roomba like I should have in the first place.
cmoschini

Re: bObsweep Delivered Broken

Postby cmoschini » October 18th, 2011, 1:24 am

Correction - this is not the first review, the forum search here just doesn't return any results for bobsweep - searching on Google however finds this:
http://www.robotreviews.com/reviews/bob ... uum-review

Where they take the time to link you to the marketing page for the Bobsweep in addition to posting a glowing review. I suspect this is a marketing/PR person for the company, and not a real customer. Since the search on this site is broken, again searching the site via Google:
http://www.google.com/search?q=apaige22 ... eviews.com

Finds they posted that one review and have never had any other activity on the site - on Yelp that would get them flagged as a spammer.
cmoschini

Postby cmoschini » October 20th, 2011, 1:26 pm

I've asked for a refund and they're sending Fedex to pick it up today. I will say that Customer Service was kind and painless about the process, so if bObsweep ever comes out with a newer version and you're considering trying them out, it's at least painless to send it back if the new model is as bad as this one.

I got a used 2 year old Roomba 530 off of a friend which is currently cleaning my place. A lot of readers here are probably used to these sorts of devices so here are some comparisons to bObsweep. Note that my bObsweep would only run for 10 seconds before erroring out, but I was able to keep hitting either Docking or Auto on the remote after waiting for the error to clear to get some idea of what it would have done had it not been defective:

* bObsweep is basically blind. It has no idea whether it's about to run into something and generally rams any obstacle it comes in contact with. The Roomba noticeably slows down as it approaches most obstacles.
* bObsweep is so blind it can't find its base station from more than a meter away. The Roomba wanders a bit, clearly locks on to its base station, and makes a straight path towards it.
* The bObsweep rams the base station. Often this causes it to overrun it and not end up charging. Sometimes this causes it to pause a moment, realize this, and return to cleaning. The manufacturers seem to side-step acknowledging this issue when they state in the manual, "Place the base station against a wall." Note that the bObsweep strikes it so hard that even up against a wall it still overruns the base station.
* bObsweep is about 20% larger.
* bObsweep appears to suck up a bit more than the 2 year old Roomba 530, though I have my suspicions that's related to age.
* bObsweep gets caught on cables and wires more often than the Roomba, though that's probably related to suction.
* bObsweep's size means it also holds more in its dustbin.
* bObsweep's error reporting model seems clearer. It has a large LED readout with a number on it based on error code. I'm yet to figure out Roomba's error codes - I had mine throw one after an hour of cleaning today and apparently I'm supposed to look for an error code... somewhere.

Aside from the suction advantage, I'm not sure why bObsweep was even released in its current form. It seems like you ought to release something you think is better than the standard product, or release it at a significantly lower price point. Selling a crappier model for $400 seems like a real mistake.
cmoschini

Postby bobsweep » October 21st, 2011, 7:35 pm

This appears to be an unfair attack against bObsweep. We have no idea what company runs robotreviews.com and since we are unable to find a single phone number, address, email address or company name on this website, we have no choice but to address this message to the username "chief robot" which seems to be the nickname of the person in charge of the website.

Firstly, the question that immediately comes to mind is which corporation(s) this huge website is affiliated with to pay for the maintenance of its 60,000 pages (Google's count); surely not bObsweep. Is a website that has 30 times more pages than indigo.com and is half the size of apple.com just running through philanthropic motivations?

Secondly, it is not very usual for someone to write a review about how bad a "broken product" functions, analyzing the product in depth and even comparing it to competing brands, while at the same time claiming that the broken product does not even run for 10 seconds before stopping in error. It is hard to believe that an unbiased person writes a detailed comparison of bObsweep with other products, based on the few seconds that she can “get the broken bObsweep to work” (paraphrase). If anyone receives a broken product in the mail, the natural complain would usually be about any hardship from the company regarding replacing/returning it, not an attempt to compare the functionality of the broken product with other brands.

Thirdly, what company or entity is responsible for the claims made on this website and on what basis are their veracity judged? If no one claims responsibility for the veracity and impartiality of the claims, we hereby request that no comment be allowed on this website about any of our products and services, since we suspect that this website is run by entities that are biased against us.

Please immediately remove and also disallow in the future any content related to our company and our product as we neither wish to be represented by this website nor do we consent to our products being reviewed in it.
bobsweep

Postby cmoschini » October 21st, 2011, 7:46 pm

OK... but you/they obviously did pay a spammer to post a false review here:
http://www.robotreviews.com/reviews/bob ... uum-review

So that's a bit late to get upset about reviews on this site now. I partly based my original purchase on that fake review.

Another follow-up - the bObsweep was picked up yesterday, and I was issued a full refund as promised.
cmoschini

Postby robotreviews » October 22nd, 2011, 5:39 am

bobsweep wrote:This appears to be an unfair attack against bObsweep. We have no idea what company runs robotreviews.com and since we are unable to find a single phone number, address, email address or company name on this website, we have no choice but to address this message to the username "chief robot" which seems to be the nickname of the person in charge of the website.

Let me help you with that. My name is Craig Capizzi, and I am the 'Chief Robot'. If you would like to contact me there is a little button right under my name on the left that allows anyone to contact me via private message or via e-mail if they choose to.

bobsweep wrote:Firstly, the question that immediately comes to mind is which corporation(s) this huge website is affiliated with to pay for the maintenance of its 60,000 pages (Google's count); surely not bObsweep. Is a website that has 30 times more pages than indigo.com and is half the size of apple.com just running through philanthropic motivations?

Sorry, I hate to break it to you, but we are not owned by any 'huge' corporations. We are just a user community which allows anyone and everyone to post their thoughts and opinions on any and all robotic products that they wish to. We have 60,000 pages because we have been around for a very long time, and we have thousands of users who have posted their thoughts and opinions on this site.

bobsweep wrote:Secondly, it is not very usual for someone to write a review about how bad a "broken product" functions, analyzing the product in depth and even comparing it to competing brands, while at the same time claiming that the broken product does not even run for 10 seconds before stopping in error. It is hard to believe that an unbiased person writes a detailed comparison of bObsweep with other products, based on the few seconds that she can “get the broken bObsweep to work” (paraphrase). If anyone receives a broken product in the mail, the natural complain would usually be about any hardship from the company regarding replacing/returning it, not an attempt to compare the functionality of the broken product with other brands.

Everyone reviews a product differently. It is not our place to judge how anyone reviews a product, whether good or bad. We are a public forum and anyone is allowed to post their opinions here.

bobsweep wrote:Thirdly, what company or entity is responsible for the claims made on this website and on what basis are their veracity judged? If no one claims responsibility for the veracity and impartiality of the claims, we hereby request that no comment be allowed on this website about any of our products and services, since we suspect that this website is run by entities that are biased against us.

Please immediately remove and also disallow in the future any content related to our company and our product as we neither wish to be represented by this website nor do we consent to our products being reviewed in it.

You seem to have no concept of the law and how it applies to internet forums. This is a public user community. We do not verify the reviews made by our users, nor are we legally obligated to do so in any capacity. If you disagree with a user review, then you are free to respond to it, and you are also free to post why you believe the review is incorrect.

As we are an American website, RobotReviews.com is fully protected under the rights authorized under Title 47 USC §230(c)(1) which states that “[n]o provider or user of an interactive computer service shall be treated as the publisher or speaker of any information provided by another information content provider.”

The basic summary of protections offered by Section 230 of the CDA are:

Section 230 grants interactive online services of all types, including news websites, blogs, forums, and listservs, broad immunity from certain types of legal liability stemming from content created by others.
This immunity covers defamation and privacy claims, as well as negligence and other tort claims associated with publication.

You will not lose this immunity even if you edit the content, whether for accuracy or civility, so long as your edits do not materially alter the meaning of the original content.

As a user generated consumer review site, as a rule we do not remove any content that appears to be valid consumer opinions without proof that the information is invalid. If there is reasonable proof that the information is invalid, we will remove it. Masih, Inc. has no grounds to ask that negative third party review information be removed from our site, and it would be wrong for us to do so.

Reference Articles for further review:
http://www.citmedialaw.org/section-230

http://www.newmediarights.org/guide/leg ... ection_230

http://m.paidcontent.org/article/419-th ... -and-yelp/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Section_23 ... ecency_Act

If you plan on selling a product of any kind, your product will invariably be reviewed on hundreds of websites. I suggest that you prepare yourself for that inevitability, because the beauty of the internet is that everyone is allowed to freely express their thoughts and opinions about whatever they would like, and we have absolutely no intention of censoring our users rights to do so here.
robotreviews
Chief Robot

Postby bobsweep » October 22nd, 2011, 1:39 pm

Dear Craig Capizzi,

you have mentioned that “as a rule we do not remove any content that appears to be valid consumer opinions without proof that the information is invalid. If there is reasonable proof that the information is invalid, we will remove it.” Here is reasonable proof:

User cmoschini started his/her very first post by making a point that s/he is surprised that there are no reviews for bObsweep on this site and that his or her review would be the first.

S/he followed up immediately by posting another message emphasizing this point by stating that in fact there is another review—allegedly fake—that s/he had just found after posting the first review.

Yet, in his/her answer to our response, after implying accusations, the user wrote: “I partly based my original purchase on that fake review.”

This in our opinion is “reasonable proof that the information [submitted by cmoschini] is invalid” and not genuine “consumer opinions.”

If user cmoschini is in fact not affiliated with robotreviews.com, we wonder whether her/his claims will still remain on the site...
bobsweep

Postby cmoschini » October 22nd, 2011, 1:56 pm

This conversation is just getting weird... Whoever is posting on behalf of bobsweep, your threatening tone is really concerning.

When it came time to send the bobsweep back, I googled "vacuum robot review" trying to remember where I found the glowing review that lead me to buy it. I found this site, but not the glowing review. I pointed out my surprise at this being the first review because I searched the site (using the site's search, not Google's) looking for the positive review before posting my own. Nothing came up, and usually a site's search is more thorough than Google so I went ahead.

After posting I went on to figure out where I had read that positive review by googling it, and was surprised to in fact be directed here. The site search here just doesn't find certain posts or something. I use Yelp a lot, and posts there by a user with only 1 post and a high rating for a place are almost always spam. I used Google to see where else apaige222 had posted and sure enough, same pattern. And so you have my follow-up post to show what I found.
cmoschini

Postby Fraggboy » October 22nd, 2011, 2:32 pm

cmoschini wrote:This conversation is just getting weird... Whoever is posting on behalf of bobsweep, your threatening tone is really concerning.

They are keeping it public and are just hurting themselves, ROFL. :lol:

I am SO glad you received your money back!
Chris

:confusion-shrug:
Website Question? Check out the FAQ section.
Roomba/Scooba Question? Check out the READ FIRST section.
:text-search:
Before posting, check out the improved Search engine. Your question might have been answered already.
Fraggboy
Robot Master

Postby robotreviews » October 22nd, 2011, 6:33 pm

cmoschini wrote:This conversation is just getting weird... Whoever is posting on behalf of bobsweep, your threatening tone is really concerning.

When it came time to send the bobsweep back, I googled "vacuum robot review" trying to remember where I found the glowing review that lead me to buy it. I found this site, but not the glowing review. I pointed out my surprise at this being the first review because I searched the site (using the site's search, not Google's) looking for the positive review before posting my own. Nothing came up, and usually a site's search is more thorough than Google so I went ahead.

After posting I went on to figure out where I had read that positive review by googling it, and was surprised to in fact be directed here. The site search here just doesn't find certain posts or something. I use Yelp a lot, and posts there by a user with only 1 post and a high rating for a place are almost always spam. I used Google to see where else apaige222 had posted and sure enough, same pattern. And so you have my follow-up post to show what I found.

There are actually two separate parts to the site. The 'Robot Chat' forum, and the rest of the site which is a separate content management system. When you search the forum, you are only searching the forum. If you search from the home page, you are searching the rest of the sections. It is an unfortunate problem that we are working to resolve, but what you are saying is absolutely true of how search currently works.
robotreviews
Chief Robot

Postby mfortuna » October 22nd, 2011, 6:37 pm

It's too bad bObsweep can't use the review as an opportunity to learn about problems one user had. I expect there are happy bObsweep users out there, we tend to hear from people who have had issues more than people that are happy.

There have been plenty of bad reviews of Irobot, Neato, Samsung, and Mint products on robot reviews. As far as I know not one manufacturer has complained about the reviews. In the early days of the forum Irobot had some presence and Neato should be complemented for being active in the forums. The point is these manufacturers use these forums as way to learn about user experiences and in Neato's case, they actively try to help people solve issues.

Here's an idea for bObsweep. Let another one of our experienced users test your robot for 30 days and write up a report on it. The report doesn't have to be made public if you do not want it to be.
Mike
Reds x 3, Dirt Dog, Disco (now a parts bot), Create, Scooba 350, and Security Dawg
Evolution Mint
Neato XV-11
mfortuna
Robot Master

Postby robotreviews » October 22nd, 2011, 6:38 pm

bobsweep wrote:
This in our opinion is “reasonable proof that the information [submitted by cmoschini] is invalid” and not genuine “consumer opinions.”

If user cmoschini is in fact not affiliated with robotreviews.com, we wonder whether her/his claims will still remain on the site...

That is hardly reasonable proof, especially in light of his response, but let's get to the bottom of this once and for all.

Are you claiming that bobsweep.com DID NOT sell a bobsweep to cmoschini in Los Angeles and then issue a subsequent refund?

And for the record: cmoschini is NOT affiliated with Robot Reviews in any capacity whatsoever.
robotreviews
Chief Robot

Postby flintonrice » October 24th, 2011, 4:40 pm

First of all, thank you very much cmoschni.

I have been researching a robot vacuum and had it down to a few. I am Canadian and see that bobsweep is also Canadian so it means something to me to support a Canadian product (there aren't that many!!). I have been surprised by the lack of reviews for Bobsweep and so truly appreciate your review.

That being said, whoever is representing bobsweep should really stop their idiotic posts. Like cmoschini, I put zero value on the other (first) review of bobsweep because it is obviously a plant. It's common practice (planted reviews) and there are no other reviews, so I don't have much of an issue with it.

What I do have an issue with is a company that is trying to break into a market and starts with flaming their first real review. It would have been so much better for bobsweep (the poster) to issue an apology, say it was tested and probably broken in transit and then to say that they would receive a new one quickly. And then ask the poster to follow-up with a review with a properly functioning unit. The response that was made was basically the opposite. To me, it means that this is a company run by engineers and not anyone with any business savvy. Not that there is anything wrong with engineers, but the point is to sell bobsweep and not to defend it to its demise. The world of internet marketing is unique and, at times, incredibly powerful.

You wasted your first chance and your diatribe against cmoschini tells me - a prospective buyer - that I have no desire to deal with you. If it comes broken, I want it replaced and quickly - no arguments. I would never go out of my way to return something for no reason, nor would I write a negative review for no reason.

Regardless, no bobsweep for me. You lost at least one customer on this thread. I am going for the Neato XV-11. Thanks for helping me make my decision.....
flintonrice

Postby cmoschini » October 25th, 2011, 11:35 am

The refund for the returned item completed processing today, and their customer service was nothing but polite and professional. The tone of the person(s) posting on this forum contrast so sharply I can't help but wonder...

In any case, here it is, the email from Paypal and Masih from when I bought the bObsweep - I removed my name and street, but left my city and zip:

Order Confirmation Home Robot Vacuum

Transaction ID # 7JC14454XY261525A
Date Ordered: Saturday 8 Oct, 2011

Products
1 x
bObsweep Intelligent Floor Cleaner
Item# YXBR11061300 $399.00
Color: Champagne, Package: Single Set

---------
Sub-Total:
Tax:
$399.00
TBD
Shipping Cost ( 4.50kg) (Canada Post Shipping 7-10 business days): 35.98
Discount Coupon: FreeShip : -$35.98

Total(Excluding Tax):

$399.00

Address Information

Delivery Address
North Hollywood, CA 91601
United States

Shipping Method
Canada Post Expedited Parcel

Tax Implication
To be determined by US authorities
Payable at destination

Billing Address
Same as delivery address

Payment Method: Paypal
Receipt No: 1117-3218-0770-3267

Instructions to merchant
None
Last edited by cmoschini on October 25th, 2011, 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
cmoschini

Postby cmoschini » October 25th, 2011, 11:51 am

I also want to post this to contrast the posts by user "bobsweep" here, just to show how polite their customer service department is - they did a great job and it sucks to have it marred by whoever's been acting on their behalf here. I'm leaving out my brief questions that prompted the conversation - I basically just ask what the return process is and what the refund process is - to focus on their tone and how obviously painless this was. Their first email to me was within 7 hours of contacting them via the Contact Us link on bobsweep.com:

bObsweep Customer Service Oct 18 2011 7:30am

Good morning *****,

We sincerely apologize that you have received a defective product. Error 1 is related to a problem in the left wheel which is extremely rare for a new device since all devices all thoroughly checked before being put in the box. But don't worry, we will send you a new Bobsweep immediately and free of charge. Upon receiving the new one, you can notify us and arrange the return of the defective unit. We are sorry for the inconvenience that this has caused you. To partially make it up to you, we will also issue you a $25 credit voucher for your future accessory purchases, after we receive the defective product. If there is anything else we can do to keep you satisfied with Bobsweep please let me know. Otherwise simply reply to this email and write "OK" or "proceed" so I can send in the order of a new Bobsweep for you.

Best Regards,

bObsweep Customer Service Oct 18 2011 1:58pm

We will arrange for the pick up of the faulty product at a time that is convenient for you.
Also, if a product that a customer receives for the first time is defective, he or she is entitled to choose a full refund without paying for the shipping. If you decide to go with this option, we can arrange for the pick up of your faulty product and issue you a full refund. Please let me know.

bObsweep Customer Service Oct 18 2011 5:56pm

Not a problem at all; we understand and welcome your decision and apologize again that Bobsweep did not meet your satisfaction.
USPS will be picking up your unit Thursday from the address we shipped to, if that works for you. Please give us a number that you would like USPS to reach you at. I will be available through e-mail tonight to respond to any concerns you may have.

bObsweep Customer Service Oct 18 2011 7:18pm

Sure *****! No apology is necessary...things like this happen, especially with more sensitive products, and you shouldn't be responsible for the losses. We do our best to provide our customers with excellent products and services but unfortunately rare occasions can happen despite all our efforts. We are sorry that you were the victim of the "rare occasion" and will make sure your refund process takes place smoothly and promptly.

===========

There were a few more emails handling the confusion about how to get a product picked-up from the US to get back to Canada and whether it would be USPS, Fedex, when, etc, but I think these emails are enough.
cmoschini

Postby sageman » October 25th, 2011, 12:50 pm

its very likley that this is a script or based on a script in which case a persons true nature wont come through
400/disco disassembly's (everything down to the PCB)
http://www.robotreviews.com/wiki/400disco-disassembly

one day many years from now a person will say "right I'll just ROOMBA downstairs" instead of hoover
oh wait I already do :)

main bot: neato xv-15 (Europe xv-11)
to sell (one day): roomba sage and silver (both 400's)
sageman
Robot Addict

Postby cmoschini » October 25th, 2011, 1:02 pm

I really doubt that - the later emails are VERY specific to my particular case (USPS or Fedex, how to pickup in the US, the specifics of my CC co and when to look for the chargeback). In addition, if you look the very first email has a typo:
"since all devices all thoroughly checked"

I doubt they're sending a script out with that typo in it. I think they deserve full credit on the customer service front.
cmoschini

Postby cmoschini » October 25th, 2011, 1:08 pm

And if there's any lingering doubt it's a real person on the other end there - I passed this thread onto their customer service department to sort out who is posting as "bobsweep" and "apaige222" and received this clearly human response - same professional and kind tone:

bObsweep Customer Service Oct 25 2011 10:08am

Wow! Those are some harsh words you wrote about us!! :)

But thanks a lot for sending me the link, I do appreciate your concern and I forwarded your email to our management.
I am not sure who the other reviewer is and whether it's fake or not. We receive "Thank you" notes and great feedback from our customers all the time..

Thanks for your time and support
cmoschini

Postby sageman » October 25th, 2011, 1:39 pm

ok then im changed most if not all are not based on a script
400/disco disassembly's (everything down to the PCB)
http://www.robotreviews.com/wiki/400disco-disassembly

one day many years from now a person will say "right I'll just ROOMBA downstairs" instead of hoover
oh wait I already do :)

main bot: neato xv-15 (Europe xv-11)
to sell (one day): roomba sage and silver (both 400's)
sageman
Robot Addict

Postby stewy1697 » December 15th, 2011, 5:26 pm

Hey guys I wanted to come on here because I purchased a bObsweep through Teambuy,ca as they were doing an exclusive promo offer and was a little skeptical as they are a new Canadian company and I had never heard of them.

However, I can say that I received my unit in working order and am very pleased with the way it operates. I have not experienced any of the issues that were experienced by another user on this post so I am assuming you probably just received a defective unit or something?

I have not had to call them or contact them yet as there hasn't been a reason to :)

Cheers Jeff
stewy1697

Next

Return to Robotic Reviews