how to solve charging error 5 for 5xx series?

The very latest news and updates for the iRobot Roomba robotic vacuum, the Scooba Robotic Washer and the Dirt Dog workshop sweeper. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

how to solve charging error 5 for 5xx series?

Postby hpc11 » October 21st, 2011, 3:58 am

Hi, I've been struggling with charging 5 error issue for several days, but haven't found a solution yet.

This is the situation. I currently have two 560 series roombas. I bought the first one about 3 years ago, and the second one about 2 years ago. Those two roombas had no charging problem at all in the U.S. I brought the first one to Korea(which uses 220v) and also had no problem charging with a step down transformer(1000w).

One year later I brought the second one to Korea via shipment(takes about 2 months.....the first one was via air). When I plugged it into the transformer, charging(faster light blinking) started as usual. But after 30 minutes it had "charging 5 errors."

I tried several things to solve this problem since i have two roombas, but nothing have worked for me.

1. tried changing the battery pack
2. tried changing the power supply
(the first one still works fine after the change)
3. tried resetting(pushing the spot+dock button for several seconds)
4. tried plugging into the roomba directly(not thru homebase)
5. tried cleaning, pulling the metal thing under the battery (battery contact issue)

--> guess the roomba itself is the problem....What can I do to make my roomba work again?

Thank you all for your help!!!
hpc11

Re: how to solve charging error 5 for 5xx series?

Postby Fraggboy » October 21st, 2011, 10:16 am

Have you read [url=http://www.robotreviews.com/chat/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=15238&p=99686&hilit=Charging+error+5+Roomba#p99686]this thread[/url}? It brushes on what's causing the Charging error 5.

Do you have problems with both Roomba's, or just one? Give that thread a good read (If you haven't already). It will walk you through checking the PSU's out.
Chris

:confusion-shrug:
Website Question? Check out the FAQ section.
Roomba/Scooba Question? Check out the READ FIRST section.
:text-search:
Before posting, check out the improved Search engine. Your question might have been answered already.
Fraggboy
Robot Master

Postby hpc11 » October 21st, 2011, 10:33 am

Thanks for your reply!

only the second one has the problem. I think PSU is not the problem because the first roomba charges fine with it.
hpc11

Postby Fraggboy » October 21st, 2011, 10:47 am

Gordon, or other members here will assist you in what places to check next. I have no experience in electronics/electrical.
Chris

:confusion-shrug:
Website Question? Check out the FAQ section.
Roomba/Scooba Question? Check out the READ FIRST section.
:text-search:
Before posting, check out the improved Search engine. Your question might have been answered already.
Fraggboy
Robot Master

Postby Jubo » October 21st, 2011, 11:53 am

You can swap the battery to determine if the battery is at fault
Jubo
Robot Addict

Postby Gordon » October 21st, 2011, 12:46 pm

hpc11 wrote:Hi, I've been struggling with charging 5 error issue for several days, but haven't found a solution yet.
You have provided much general information, and no technical data that you might have obtained by measurements. There is enough data for me to point to the cause of the problem, but not enough to identify the failed component. I agree it is inside robot #2, and probably on its main_PCA (printed circuit assembly).

This is probably the event that set up robot #2 to harm itself:
...One year later I brought the second one to Korea via shipment(takes about 2 months.....the first one was via air).
I suspect you failed to disconnect #2's battery, hence, it kept feeding power to the main_PCA to sustain its standby readiness. The current drawn by that process is very small, but over a few weeks it will totally discharge a Roomba battery! Then, upon receipt of #2, you...
When I plugged it into the transformer, charging(faster light blinking) started as usual.
That "faster light blinking" indicated that #2 had shifted normal fast charging current to a lesser current as an attempt to accomplish its 16-hour recovery charging process.
But after 30 minutes it had "charging 5 errors."
I can only guess that "something" changed, i.e., characteristics of an electrical component shifted during that start-up period.
... --> guess the roomba itself is the problem....What can I do to make my roomba work again? ...
To study this fault you must be able to strip #2 down to where you can access the main_PCA so voltage measurements can be made during the 30 minutes preceding the error announcement. The link that Fraggboy gave you, and at least one link within that search result, should give enough guidance to identify the effected component (power diode "D58" is a good candidate).

If you are unable to perform such troubleshooting, then I would say R&R of the main_PCA, or Roomba replacement, are your only options.
Gordon
Robot Master

Postby hpc11 » October 24th, 2011, 5:54 am

Thanks for your reply! I will read through the link carefully and try what I can do.

Hope I will fix this problem:)
hpc11

Postby marv » October 24th, 2011, 8:12 am

hi everyone,

i am an owner of a roomba 581 and i also have a charging error 5.

as far as i remember correctly it began, when i want my roomba to do another run directly after a full charge. i placed him in another room and pressed clean, where he runs for 2 minutes and wanted to dock. my first thougth was that he was "overheated"?! so i put him on the base and kept him untouched.

since then nearly everytime it charges, after 30, 60 or (sometimes) 90 minutes he has a charging error 5. all i need is to lift him up a bit to lose the contacts of the homebase and set him down. sometimes i need to do it every 30 minutes, sometimes just one time and rarely it charges fully without error/interaction.
i also realized a reduced run time - from 2hrs 15 minutes to 1hr 45min max.

i tried a reset, cleaned the contacts, took out the battery pack and waited a few minutes before i put it back in, charged over DC Jack,...no difference.

does it make sense to buy a new battery pack and try it again? my roomba is 8 months old.

thanks in advance!

marv
marv

Postby Gordon » October 24th, 2011, 5:06 pm

marv wrote:... i also have a charging error 5. ... it began, when i want my roomba to do another run directly after a full charge. i placed him in another room and pressed clean, where he runs for 2 minutes and wanted to dock. my first thougth was that he was "overheated"?!
I can't recall running across evidence that says the 5XX Roomba checks battery temperature when starting in Clean Mode. Probably, the battery had did not take its usual full charge, hence its terminal voltage quickly approached 12V, thus causing a dock-seek.
...since then nearly everytime it charges, after 30, 60 or (sometimes) 90 minutes he has a charging error 5. all i need is to lift him up a bit to lose the contacts of the homebase and set him down.
When you break charging current Roomba's controller falls out of Charging Mode and reverts to a standby state. Any prior errors are forgotten.
...i also realized a reduced run time - from 2hrs 15 minutes to 1hr 45min max.
There could be some weak cells showing up in that pack. Learn how to load-test a 5XX battery (look for TechGuy's article in the rr-wiki), and do it.
i tried a reset, cleaned the contacts, took out the battery pack and waited a few minutes before i put it back in, charged over DC Jack,...no difference.
I suggest that you set the Home Base aside until you resolve err5. Use the side jack for applying charging power. The "no difference" result you reported suggests the err5 source resides inside the robot.
does it make sense to buy a new battery pack and try it again?
I doubt that another battery will help overcome err5, since internal resistance seems to remain very low in duff batteries that can't even power a Roomba. If a battery develops an internal resistance on the order of a few ohms it might contribute to triggering err5. By load-testing your battery you will be assured it is free of that fault.
my roomba is 8 months old. ...
Use its warranty, to obtain a replacement, if it has one.
Gordon
Robot Master

Postby marv » March 25th, 2012, 9:47 am

without doing anything, charging error 5 disappeared and my roomba charges normally since dec./january.
i have no idea what solved this issue.
my roomba 581 is 1 yr and 2 months old now and still runs for 2+ hours, appr. 2 times a week.
marv

Postby mihaib32nfs » March 26th, 2012, 7:39 am

My roomba 581 battery ,after 2 yr still runs 60-70min, not enough for 3 rooms.
mihaib32nfs

Return to iRobot Roomba and Scooba Chat