Inside of Kärcher Robocleaner

Questions and comments about all other Robots go here.

Inside of Kärcher Robocleaner

Postby Fraggboy » March 18th, 2012, 12:10 pm

All,

I decided to open the Kärcher up, since it's very easy to do. I didn't break it down fully to get all of the components, but it's a quick glimpse of what's inside. One thing to note is that there are two IR sensors pointing towards the front, and there is an IR sensor pointing towards the rear on each side.

All you have to do, is simply turn the plastic 'screws' a little bit (Noted in red):
Karcher.jpg
Top of Kärcher

Then, you can pull up the top shell:
Cover removed.jpg
Cover removed

Here is the brush motor (It looks like there can be a second brush motor right next to it:
Brush motor.jpg
Brush motor

Here is a picture of the On/Off/LED's and ribbon cable:
Buttons-LED's.jpg
Buttons

Here is the side of the PCB with a few connectors, a switch (Which I haven't pushed), and a header maybe to program/troubleshoot issues??:
Connectors.jpg
PCB headers

Here is a closeup of the vacuum motor (Notice the white clips one can easily remove to get inside):
Vacuum motor.jpg
Vacuum motor

This is just a side view of the Kärcher:
Side View.jpg
Side view

There was no 'tamper evidence' items that I came across. Granted, I didn't remove the robot from the bumper assembly and expose more of the inside.
Chris

:confusion-shrug:
Website Question? Check out the FAQ section.
Roomba/Scooba Question? Check out the READ FIRST section.
:text-search:
Before posting, check out the improved Search engine. Your question might have been answered already.
Fraggboy
Robot Master

Re: Inside of Kärcher Robocleaner

Postby vic7767 » March 18th, 2012, 12:20 pm

Nice info Chris, wonder if that one connector might be a diagnostic comm port? :twisted:
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/

http://www.Robot-Doc.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby Fraggboy » March 18th, 2012, 12:29 pm

vic7767 wrote:Nice info Chris, wonder if that one connector might be a diagnostic comm port? :twisted:

It could be Ed. I tried to take a picture of the PCB to show how it was labeled, but I couldn't due to the plastic.
Chris

Before posting, check out the improved Search engine. Your question might have been answered already.
Fraggboy
Robot Master

Postby Fraggboy » March 18th, 2012, 12:33 pm

I went ahead and explained as to the name of the pins. In this pic, I am going from left to right:
Connectors.jpg

+
-
VDD
ROI, or RDI
TDD
GND
Chris

Fraggboy
Robot Master

Postby robocleaner » March 18th, 2012, 1:59 pm

Chris - there are just 4 screws holding that top shell on (underneath, adjacent the cliff sensors). The belly-band just lifts off. IIRC it is a diagnostic port. The beauty of the RC3000 IMHO is the bump mechanism - there are just two magnets in that top shell which ride over some kind of reed-switch on the PCB - any movement of the upper shell in any direction whatsoever triggers the evasive action. It's so brilliantly simple yet very effective. Who needs whirling lasers and cameras photographing the ceiling?!!
2 x Karcher RC3000 (2005 & 2012), Trilobite ZA1 (2005), Navibot 8855 (2010)
robocleaner
Robot Addict

Postby Fraggboy » March 18th, 2012, 2:08 pm

robocleaner wrote:The beauty of the RC3000 IMHO is the bump mechanism - there are just two magnets in that top shell which ride over some kind of reed-switch on the PCB - any movement of the upper shell in any direction whatsoever triggers the evasive action. It's so brilliantly simple yet very effective. Who needs whirling lasers and cameras photographing the ceiling?!!

I noticed those and was wondering what they were used for!! I didn't see anything below them, so I didn't suspect. Quite clever to detect a bump. That's why when it hit the tennis ball trying to dock, it barely moved. At first, I thought it would:

1) push the ball into the dock;
2) push the ball harder and then back up.

Here is the picture with the magnets circled in red:
Cover removed.jpg
Chris

Fraggboy
Robot Master

Postby mfortuna » March 18th, 2012, 9:48 pm

Nice looking robot internals. That is a well made robot. I have to agree it is hard to justify the price. All of my roombas were less than $120 each. I have spent around $700 total on my 400 series bots. I bought one red and the dirt dog for $120 each, the disco was a refurb and the other red was broken but was easily fixed. After replacing batteries, motors, etc, my fleet of roombas is still going strong.

I like the Karcher but my 3 robots each have a floor to clean. If I had a Karcher I would have to move the base around.
Mike
Reds x 3, Dirt Dog, Disco (now a parts bot), Create, Scooba 350, and Security Dawg
Evolution Mint
Neato XV-11
mfortuna
Robot Master

Postby Fraggboy » March 18th, 2012, 9:56 pm

I understand Mike. I had the same feeling about justifying the price a long time ago. But, after time went on, and seeing what you guys had to do to keep them running and what others had to do as well (Fix U11, replace PCB, etc) I felt I needed a robotic vacuum that I didn't have to worry about. And, as we know it's a bit pricier. Plus, I'm not as skilled as you are to keep them going. :(
Chris

Fraggboy
Robot Master

Postby mfortuna » March 18th, 2012, 10:07 pm

I agree with you Chris. Of all the robots out there, the Karcher is #1 on my list, If I were to buy another bot the Karcher would be a first choice.
Mike
Reds x 3, Dirt Dog, Disco (now a parts bot), Create, Scooba 350, and Security Dawg
Evolution Mint
Neato XV-11
mfortuna
Robot Master

Postby piokrza » March 20th, 2012, 10:19 pm

Fraggboy, you have nice carpet - is it new? I own similar (beige) and it's only 1yr - gets dirty very easy :(
past: Samsung SR8855 (bad sw) Samsung SR8895 (bad rotor) Neato XV-11/XV-15 Roomba 780 (bad battery) Scooba 385 Roomba 530 2x Scooba 230 (broken bladder), Samsung SR8980, Samsung VR10F71
current: Roomba 620 (bad CHM; repaired u/warranty) Scooba 330 Scooba 230
piokrza
Robot Master

Postby Fraggboy » March 20th, 2012, 10:36 pm

piokrza wrote:Fraggboy, you have nice carpet - is it new? I own similar (beige) and it's only 1yr - gets dirty very easy :(

Thank you. ;) I try to take pictures where the carpet is OK. ;) It's very old, and coming up in places. If you watch the videos, you might see strips of clear masking tape keeping it down. :(

We are working with the owner to get the carpet out of here and place tile. The owner is in a retirement home, and a relative to my Fiance. We are trying to work out a deal to buy it from them. ;)
Chris

Fraggboy
Robot Master

Postby robocleaner » March 25th, 2012, 10:08 am

For those interested, I've posted results of the Karcher RC3000 battery load test I promised to do here under robot hacks, mods, repairs: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=15929
robocleaner
Robot Addict

Postby piokrza » March 27th, 2012, 3:56 pm

Fraggboy, I'm curious about air quality from your robot. As it uses only nylon-mesh filter, it should let through a lot of dust (much more than non-HEPA filters, founded in Roomba 4XX/5XX, or original Neato XV-11 electrostatic filter). Next question is: the docking station has only bag + pre-motor filter - what about exhaust filter? they forgot about it or it's just 'unnecessary' thing? I wonder where the exhausted air comes from - the back or bottom side? Thx
past: Samsung SR8855 (bad sw) Samsung SR8895 (bad rotor) Neato XV-11/XV-15 Roomba 780 (bad battery) Scooba 385 Roomba 530 2x Scooba 230 (broken bladder), Samsung SR8980, Samsung VR10F71
piokrza
Robot Master

Postby Fraggboy » March 27th, 2012, 4:01 pm

Peter,

You are correct, the mesh filter isn't a HEPA-type, and will let smaller-debris pass through.

Regarding the exhaust, I haven't traced down where it exits the base. There are no vents that I saw on any side. I didn't look closely on the bottom tho. I will get some pictures of the bottom and try to trace it down where the exhaust leaves.
Chris

Fraggboy
Robot Master

Postby roboroomba » March 27th, 2012, 7:32 pm

Regarding the exhaust, I haven't traced down where it exits the base. There are no vents that I saw on any side.

It is like a stealth plane
roomba 510, roomba 440, roomba 550 (parts bot), roomba red (programing robot)
roboroomba
Robot Addict

Postby piokrza » March 28th, 2012, 7:30 am

It could be from the bottom side http://www.ereplacementparts.com/karche ... 33677.html (Page H/I)
piokrza
Robot Master

Postby Fraggboy » March 28th, 2012, 8:25 pm

Well,

It seems that the bag lasted 5 weeks for me. As you can see there is plenty of dog/cat hair. I think mostly dog.

NASTY!!!!

If you dare to see the picture larger, click on the pic:
Dust bag (1).JPG
Dust Bag FULL of pet hair!!! Now, you know why my other robotic vacuums didn't last as long, ROFL!
Chris

Fraggboy
Robot Master

Postby Fraggboy » March 28th, 2012, 8:30 pm

piokrza wrote:. . .I wonder where the exhausted air comes from - the back or bottom side? Thx

Maybe from this area? I haven't felt it (yet) when it's running. I will feel to see if it's where the exhaust is coming out from. There is no vent on the bottom of the base.

Discharge.JPG
Discharge point??

EDIT:

The exhaust is towards the rear where the last red arrow is at.
Chris

Fraggboy
Robot Master

Postby Fraggboy » March 28th, 2012, 9:18 pm

Here is a quick pic of the beater bar wound up with hair, and after. It literally took me 15 seconds to clean the hair from the brush.

What's really important??? Notice the sides of the brush? NO hair/debris wound up!!

Beater bar before cleaning (Click on picture for a high-res picture):
Wound up hair.JPG
Beater bar before cleaning.

Beater bar after cleaning (Click on picture for a high-res picture):
Cleaned hair.JPG
Beater bar cleaned up!
Chris

Fraggboy
Robot Master

Postby robocleaner » March 29th, 2012, 3:25 am

Did the bag-full light come on then Chris?!

I'm just wondering, after your first 5 full weeks of use, generally what you think of the cleaning performance? Is it keeping up/missing anything? Do you still feel it's the right choice for you, or are you starting to have any doubts?
robocleaner
Robot Addict

Next

Return to All Other Robots