Roomba 780 problem, Lighthouse works as Virtual Wall??

The very latest news and updates for the iRobot Roomba robotic vacuum, the Scooba Robotic Washer and the Dirt Dog workshop sweeper. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Roomba 780 problem, Lighthouse works as Virtual Wall??

Postby gymmarn » May 16th, 2012, 12:11 pm

My Roomba 780 comes with two 810-lighthouses. But the lighthouses only work as virtual wall, even if I flip the switch on it to Lighthouse.

I even tried walling the roomba in, then setting a lighthouse at a door entrance in lighthouse mode. Then the Roomba avoids the room with the same mechanic as if it was set to virtual wall.

I'm starting to wonder if my Roomba is broken in its logic, or if it is my lighthouses that’s the problem.
Here's a vid showing the behavior:

http://youtu.be/SbztwC_5DL4
gymmarn

Re: Roomba 780 problem, Lighthouse works as Virtual Wall??

Postby Fraggboy » May 16th, 2012, 12:17 pm

gymmarn,

Welcome to RobotReviews! :D The Lighthouse will act like a virtual wall until the Roomba finishes cleaning that area. Then it will communicate to the Lighthouse to let it pass through.

Here is a tread talking about how the lighthouse works.
Chris

:confusion-shrug:
Website Question? Check out the FAQ section.
Roomba/Scooba Question? Check out the READ FIRST section.
:text-search:
Before posting, check out the improved Search engine. Your question might have been answered already.
Fraggboy
Robot Master

Postby piokrza » May 16th, 2012, 12:29 pm

If you want your Roomba to work in 'room-to-room' navigation mode (select "lighthouse"), then you need to place them in between door frame. You put them behind the door - how it should be done with the "virtual walls", but no "lighthouses".
past: Samsung SR8855 (bad sw) Samsung SR8895 (bad rotor) Neato XV-11/XV-15 Roomba 780 (bad battery) Scooba 385 Roomba 530 2x Scooba 230 (broken bladder), Samsung SR8980, Samsung VR10F71 Hobot-168
current: Roomba 620 (bad CHM; repaired u/warranty) Scooba 330 Scooba 230
piokrza
Robot Master

Postby gymmarn » May 16th, 2012, 12:38 pm

Thanks for all the tips, will read up on how the lighthouses work :)
gymmarn

Postby vic7767 » May 16th, 2012, 12:42 pm

The LH/VW should be in the mode you want it to perform prior to starting a cleaning mission. It should also be in the location you want it in before starting your Roomba.

As a test, remove and then reinstall the batteries in your LH/VWs and verify that the activity LED on top flashes momentarily and then goes out. Then, with the Roomba on the floor and not connected to a power supply or home base, position the LH/VWs in front of it and press the Clean button once then verify that the LH/VWs activity LED turns on green. That will let you know that the RF signal from the onboard Zigbee transceiver is operational.
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/

http://www.Robot-Doc.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby Jubo » May 17th, 2012, 5:20 am

Although the test area is small, human might deem it thoroughly cleaned but roomba will takes at least 10 mins to break through that space.
Jubo
Robot Addict

Postby neven » March 2nd, 2013, 8:03 am

Hi everyone,
Sorry for resurrecting an old thread but I guess it is better then to start a new one with a same problem. I've recently bought new 780 and while trying to improve and tweak cleaning quality I've stumbled into a problem. My apartment is living room + kitchen and 2 bedrooms 70m2 (750sqft) with roomba starting point in one of the bedrooms. If I just start roomba without using any LH or VW it will do quite a good job cleaning both bedrooms, bathroom and hallway, even living room, but it often fails to do the kitchen which is part of the living room (no doors between, 3ft entrance). That is why I tried to setup one LH on the entrance to living room hoping that that way roomba will do the more detailed cleaning of both kitchen and living room. That was not a case. Lighthouse mode acts as Virtual Wall. Roomba is not going trough the LH beam after cleaning bedrooms, bathroom and hallway. It just goes back to dock. And that only takes around 30 minutes so it has probably more then 70% battery juice left. I've tried both LH/VWs included in package and they both do the same.
I've tried LH/VW reset, roomba reset, also did everything as described in http://www.robotreviews.com/chat/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=15330&p=100475&hilit=Lighthouse+information#p100475 . Any other suggestions?
neven

Postby vic7767 » March 2nd, 2013, 3:37 pm

If your LH/VWs are turning on when the Clean button is pressed and the selector is in the Lighthouse position then the Virtual wall beam is active for the first 25 minutes that the Roomba is running a cleaning cycle. After that initial period, the Roomba sends a command to the first registered LH/VW that it encountered during the run to turn off the virtual wall beam and activate the traverse IR beams That is when your Roomba will be able to enter another cleaning area. You may have to experiment a little with positioning of the accessory so that the Roomba will enter the cleaning area you want it to enter.
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/

http://www.Robot-Doc.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby neven » March 3rd, 2013, 8:03 am

Thank you for your reply. The answer for my problem was already here in post by piokrza. I just wasn't reading it right. To put it in few more words then him: The LH/VW combo units (810) are basically Virtal Walls with added IR sensor on top. Unit in both modes emits the cone shaped VW beam in front of unit. IF YOUR ROOMBA PICKS UP THAT CONE SHAPED BEAM BEFORE ROOMBAS IR SENSOR HAS LINE OF SIGHT WITH IR SENSOR ON TOP OF LH/VW UNIT IT IS NOT GOING TO ENTER THAT AREA AND RETURN TO BASE WHEN AREA 1 IS CLEANED. So the solution is, as written in piokrzas post, to put the LH/VW unit between door frames or inside the room but within LoS with Roombas IR sensor before touching the virtual wall beam. If anyone wants I can upload some pictures to clarify what I'm talking about.
neven

Postby ronjayu » May 21st, 2013, 1:35 pm

My lighthouses doesn't work either. Have tried different locations. please explain more about Line of Sight. If you can put some pictures would be great! thanks!
ronjayu

Postby piokrza » May 21st, 2013, 1:58 pm

past: Samsung SR8855 (bad sw) Samsung SR8895 (bad rotor) Neato XV-11/XV-15 Roomba 780 (bad battery) Scooba 385 Roomba 530 2x Scooba 230 (broken bladder), Samsung SR8980, Samsung VR10F71 Hobot-168
current: Roomba 620 (bad CHM; repaired u/warranty) Scooba 330 Scooba 230
piokrza
Robot Master

Postby ronjayu » May 21st, 2013, 5:37 pm

really good link, extremely interesting! solved my problem. thanks!
ronjayu

Return to iRobot Roomba and Scooba Chat