500 vs. 700 CHM cleaning/survival comparison

The very latest news and updates for the iRobot Roomba robotic vacuum, the Scooba Robotic Washer and the Dirt Dog workshop sweeper. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

500 vs. 700 CHM cleaning/survival comparison

Postby soviet911 » June 13th, 2012, 11:21 pm

Hello all.
I have a roomba 560 in which the Red CHM started to die. After some help from vic7767, I decided to replace it with the new generation 700 series CHM. I also decide to see how much better the new 700CHM is. For this purpose I will be running the CHM with out any modifications for a month every day and then open it up to see how well it holds up to picking up hair, dust and crap. For now I do have initial impressions, as well as preview of what this CHM will be dealing with on daily basis.
The Image bellow shows what the redCHM, and brushes looks like after a cleaning run at my apartment. (This was run for about 30 min as I am trying to revive the battery, but it’s a good representation for comparison)
CHM from top
Typical hair build up on the connection edge ( there is similar amount under the bearing side as well)
The Side where Brushes enter the gearbox, you can see hair being compressed against the bearings(those are about 1 year old.)
Bellow is what the 700CHM looks like in my 560 after running for about 40 min at my apartment.
Here is what the 700CHM looks like from top after cleaning.
Hair at bearing side, which there is not as much as usual, especially human hair is very limited in buildup. It is also ALLOT easier to clean those then the red brushes
Bearing condition of the big bristle brush ( no cleaning was done before taking pictures)
Bearing condition of the beater bar, lots of hair built up on the fat side of the cover, not as much hair was between the short section and on the metal pin it self (this seems to cure a problem where hair will wind up on metal pin and push the bearing out, causing increased friction and CHM failure)
Now on to the Side of the CHM gearbox, not much hair was built up around the gear area and on brush ends
Bristle Brush
Beater Bar
The gear opening, there was very little hair but it seemed to be entering the gear box.
The brushes cleaned with crap that was on them
The AeroVac 1 bin filled with crap
The Crap

Some notes:
The bristle brush is made of rubbery like material. The 700CHM seems to pick up a lot more stuff then my old red CHM, as well is its way easier to clean. So far I believe the bearing mod should still be done, but now the bearings should last much longer as there is much less hair and crap built up around that area, most definitely extending their life span.

Should you get the 700CHM?
If you already have a CHM with bearings, I don’t think there is a need to change it out for the 700CHM. If your CHM died, then upgrading to 700CHM might be a good idea as the brushes are easier to clean, as well as it seems to pick up more stuff, and finally it costs the same as the green CHM.

The setup.
Roomba 560 with 700 CHM and AeroVac 1 bin.
soviet911

Re: 500 vs. 700 CHM cleaning/survival comparison

Postby iMayne » June 14th, 2012, 9:58 am

Take a picture of the grey chm's gearbox. Let us see that.
UK Business Coming Soon
iMayne
Robot Addict

Postby soviet911 » June 14th, 2012, 12:58 pm

I had this CHM only for 1 day, I will be opening it in a month, with a follow up post and pictures on how well it resisted dirt, and hair from entering into it.
soviet911

Postby tornadijo » June 14th, 2012, 3:18 pm

Too much hair for only 30 minutes. ¿how it this possible? This hair is of a pet or a carpet? try to run roomba ofen, (more than 1 time for day).

I empty and clean brushes every times roomba complete the clean cycle. With a hand-vacuum.

It looks new after 3 months.
tornadijo

Postby soviet911 » June 14th, 2012, 6:46 pm

We have a Turkish van cat, that has very long hair, and is quiet fluffy. Before the red CHM failed it would colect half the hair amount.Not sure why it picked up so much more with the 700 CHM...
soviet911

Postby Fraggboy » June 14th, 2012, 7:20 pm

Too bad the 7xx CHM doesn't totally prevent hair/debris entry (Closer though). Unfortunately you will have to service the CHM.
Chris

:confusion-shrug:
Website Question? Check out the FAQ section.
Roomba/Scooba Question? Check out the READ FIRST section.
:text-search:
Before posting, check out the improved Search engine. Your question might have been answered already.
Fraggboy
Robot Master

Postby iMayne » June 15th, 2012, 4:06 am

soviet911 wrote:We have a Turkish van cat, that has very long hair, and is quiet fluffy. Before the red CHM failed it would colect half the hair amount.Not sure why it picked up so much more with the 700 CHM...

With regards to picking up, no difference is there really. The only difference, with picking up, is that the bristle brush bristles are much softer than the green's. Not sure if that make any sense. I'll try those brushes in a green chm and see.
UK Business Coming Soon
iMayne
Robot Addict

Postby soviet911 » June 15th, 2012, 3:05 pm

iMayne wrote:
soviet911 wrote:We have a Turkish van cat, that has very long hair, and is quiet fluffy. Before the red CHM failed it would colect half the hair amount.Not sure why it picked up so much more with the 700 CHM...

With regards to picking up, no difference is there really. The only difference, with picking up, is that the bristle brush bristles are much softer than the green's. Not sure if that make any sense. I'll try those brushes in a green chm and see.

(Check vic's post bellow)
With regard to pickup debris, I think the best explanation is the fact that my redCHM was halfway dead, so it probably didnot work as well as the new one. Regardless the comparison in OP lets you see how large amount of hair spreads it self out in the 700CHM brushes and gearbox. It performance I doubt is any better then the red/greenCHM. Although it is definitely easier to clean, then green or red CHM. The point of this discussion is to see how well Irobot designed this GB to prevent hair, and crap from entering the gearbox.

Fraggboy wrote:Too bad the 7xx CHM doesn't totally prevent hair/debris entry (Closer though). Unfortunately you will have to service the CHM.

We shall see how it fares at the end of the month. If there is limited dirt and hair inside when I open it I will run it with out bearings for a year or so, and see how well it performs. If there is alot of crap I will do vic's bearing mod.
Last edited by soviet911 on June 15th, 2012, 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
soviet911

Postby vic7767 » June 15th, 2012, 3:48 pm

The 700 cleaning brush and beater brush will fit into the Green CHM, but, the two brass bushing caps must be removed and replaced with the ones from a Green CHM set.

On the flip side the 500 cleaning brush will fit the 700 Grey CHM but the 500 beater brush will not fit into the 700 Grey CHM unless some of the plastic disc is cut down.
Attachments
500_700.gif
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/

http://www.Robot-Doc.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby soviet911 » July 8th, 2012, 4:51 am

Follow up after a month of use with average run of 20-30 minuets (Battery issues >.>) and 3-4 times a week.
I disassembled the gearbox, which I will have to note is quiet easier to work with then the 500CHM.
Here is what I saw:
The motor gear connector, looked clean, no dust or hair on the drive pin
The gear casing from the side
The motor gear had a little bit of black on it, not sure if dust or original grease. No hair can be seen, for beater and bristle brush gear there is some hair present on the out side
The gear cover removed, looking at gears from the top, no hair or dirt found or seen except on the driver motor gear (once again not sure if original grease or dirt that entered it)
Gears removed looking from the brush entrance side. Some hair is present on bristle and beater gear, but it’s all on outer surface otherwise gears are clean, and hair is found on the pins

I wiped of the gears and resembled them with addition of white lithium grease.

Overall this is quite impressive so far, I will run it with new battery for another 1-2 month and once again report back with pics.
soviet911

Postby h00ch » November 3rd, 2012, 1:38 am

Did you check it again recently? :) I just purchased the 700 series cleaning head and an Aerovac bin for my dead 560 and am interested in how yours has held up over the past 4 months or so.
h00ch

Return to iRobot Roomba and Scooba Chat