Scooba: How much water is normal (objectively)?

The very latest news and updates for the iRobot Roomba robotic vacuum, the Scooba Robotic Washer and the Dirt Dog workshop sweeper. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Scooba: How much water is normal (objectively)?

Postby bcarpenter » July 17th, 2012, 3:36 am

Hi all,

I've just received a Scooba 380 ordered from overseas to Australia & am disappointed by how much water remains on the floor after cleaning. Reading through this forum, it seems most people say the floor should be dry within 20 minutes of a cleaning cycle. Some even say the floor is dry within a few minutes. I'm finding that it takes 30-60 minutes to dry (smooth) hardwood floors after Scoobaring, and 2-4 hours to dry our tile floor.

However, on objective measuring, Scooba's dirty water tank contains 50% of the volume of water at the end of the cycle that I had put into the clean water tank at the beginning. Looking at the sqeegees, they are parallel except the last inch at each end, where they are slightly bent & not straightenable.

So, what is normal? I can't figure it out from previous posts here. I'd like to know before sending this machine back to the overseas seller (fishisfast) for a replacement/fix.

I'm wondering if people could post an objective measure of how much water is picked up by Scooba on a cleaning cycle on smooth floor.

Thanks.
Last edited by bcarpenter on July 17th, 2012, 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
bcarpenter

Re: Scooba: How much water is normal (objectively)?

Postby iMayne » July 17th, 2012, 4:19 am

Your Vac Port also plays an important part. Remember the Vac Motor blows water along the longest squeegee into the Vac Port then to the Tank. If the tip of the Vac Port is damage then you will have more water on the floor. Also the Cleaning Head is important. If the Cleaning Head Squeegee is damage then a bit of same issue. Upload a photo.
UK Business Coming Soon
iMayne
Robot Addict

Postby bcarpenter » July 17th, 2012, 9:23 am

The vac port looks okay & is dirty, so I think it's working okay.

Here's a photo of the cleaning head with the squeegees bent at the ends.
Attachments
Combined photo.jpg
bcarpenter

Postby bcarpenter » July 17th, 2012, 9:25 am

And here's the cleaning head in the machine, showing that the gap between the squeegees is still present. I'm not sure if such a small gap is sufficient to cause the problem that I'm having, although it might be the path of least resistance for incoming air, meaning that air is being sucked through the gap rather than evenly along the length of the squeegee.
Attachments
IMG_0219.jpg
bcarpenter

Postby IndyGuy » July 17th, 2012, 10:18 pm

viewtopic.php?t=2042&highlight=dirty+water+vol+volume

Buying the refurb kit helped my scooba alot in terms of water pickup (new tank and squeege and brush).
One Roomba to Rule Them ALL,
One Scooba to do ALL the Mopping
IndyGuy
Robot Addict

Postby jin7 » July 18th, 2012, 5:35 am

Well, coming from experience with 100% new aussie scooba 385 from harvey norman, my scooba picks up the most water from tiles if theres not much grout - eg large tiles. In the bathrooms i have very small tiles which result in alot more grout lines and it leaves the floor wetter.

@iMayne the vac port is for floor prep. If that were true the scooba would leave every drop whilst moving forward since the laying down of water happens right before the cleaning heads straight brush.

The space between the squeegees which OP photographed is where the water pick up happens, and from the looks of it, if you manage to flatten out the curved squeegee or even better, buy a new cleaning head, should be problem solved. :)
Owner of:
LG Roboking VR5902LVM
VR6170LVM
VR6270LVM Square
IRobot Scooba 385
Neato XV-SP
jin7
Robot Groupie

Postby jin7 » July 18th, 2012, 6:56 am

Also for the time being you could run extra drying cycles after washing the floor.
- From the off position press power then the 'play/pause' button twice - it will blink the 'play/pause' LED. I believe this lasts for 5mins. (first press starts washing, 2nd forces into drying mode)

Drying attempts to dry scoobas brushes and internals, but it still vacuums up water too ;-)
Owner of:
LG Roboking VR5902LVM
VR6170LVM
VR6270LVM Square
IRobot Scooba 385
Neato XV-SP
jin7
Robot Groupie

Postby bcarpenter » July 18th, 2012, 9:25 am

Thanks for the replies, especially the link to the other thread which I missed in my search, but answers my question.

It seems that 50% water pick-up is within normal range, albeit on the lower side of normal. With that in mind, I don't understand why the floor is still so wet a couple of hours after cleaning.

Replacement parts isn't right for me as this is a new unit, not second hand. If it doesn't work, then it's back to the retailer for another new unit.
bcarpenter

Postby piokrza » July 18th, 2012, 11:43 am

My 385 picked up around 1/2-3/4 of the fresh water tank on the 'best suited' tiles. When she worked on the 'worse suited' tiles then she left even more.
past: Samsung SR8855 (bad sw) Samsung SR8895 (bad rotor) Neato XV-11/XV-15 Roomba 780 (bad battery) Scooba 385 Roomba 530 2x Scooba 230 (broken bladder), Samsung SR8980, Samsung VR10F71
current: Roomba 620 (bad CHM; repaired u/warranty)
piokrza
Robot Master

Postby jin7 » July 18th, 2012, 10:19 pm

bcarpenter wrote:It seems that 50% water pick-up is within normal range, albeit on the lower side of normal. With that in mind, I don't understand why the floor is still so wet a couple of hours after cleaning.

Replacement parts isn't right for me as this is a new unit, not second hand. If it doesn't work, then it's back to the retailer for another new unit.

That is weird. Especially for a new Scooba.
I had this issue last week and discovered I didnt click the two parts of the cleaning head together properly.
Also another thing that comes to mind is the filter, did you accidentally force it in? (manual states it should be placed without any force)
Owner of:
LG Roboking VR5902LVM
VR6170LVM
VR6270LVM Square
IRobot Scooba 385
Neato XV-SP
jin7
Robot Groupie

Postby iMayne » July 20th, 2012, 5:41 am

jin7 wrote:
@iMayne the vac port is for floor prep. If that were true the scooba would leave every drop whilst moving forward since the laying down of water happens right before the cleaning heads straight brush.

I guess my observation is not good at all lol
UK Business Coming Soon
iMayne
Robot Addict

Postby vacuumboy98 » August 3rd, 2012, 1:29 am

I have noticed that when you run the air conditioner cooler the floor will dry faster. Is your flooring cold, or warm? Just my observations, Patrick.
vacuumboy98
Robot Addict

Postby bcarpenter » August 3rd, 2012, 1:35 am

It's winter here so the floors are cold. But winter here isn't really winter. Temps only get down to 5 deg C at night & are still around 20 deg C during the days.
bcarpenter

Postby Koontzy » August 3rd, 2012, 8:05 am

the air conditionner work by DRYING your air (removing the humidity in it) first then he can cool the air more effectivly so its normal your floor dry faster, its not because its colder or hotter
Koontzy
Robot Groupie

Postby Koontzy » August 3rd, 2012, 8:07 am

you can simply put a dehumidifier (english isnt my native language i hope its the good word :P) in a room and its gonna dry way more faster ;)
Koontzy
Robot Groupie

Postby bcarpenter » August 3rd, 2012, 5:25 pm

I guess so, but we have no air conditioner in our house (not uncommon in Australian houses in some regions) & dehumidifiers are ridiculously expensive here because there's no market for them.
bcarpenter

Postby vacuumboy98 » August 3rd, 2012, 11:23 pm

In Texas, where it is always humid, dehumidifiers are cheap. Only 100 for a Delonghi one we have. Is it humid in Australia? Can you get one shipped to you?
vacuumboy98
Robot Addict

Postby bcarpenter » August 4th, 2012, 9:06 am

Regardless of cost though, is it worth getting a humidifier just so that Scooba can run? Seems like yet another device to cram into a small home that will serve a very limited purpose. Just saying.
bcarpenter

Postby mfortuna » August 4th, 2012, 10:27 am

Regardless of the weather (New England dry winters, humid summers) my scooba 350 picks up a little over 1/2 of what it puts down, the remainder drys up in about 20 minutes. Maybe a cheap fan would help dry the floor quicker?
Mike
Reds x 3, Dirt Dog, Disco (now a parts bot), Create, Scooba 350, and Security Dawg
Evolution Mint
Neato XV-11
mfortuna
Robot Master

Return to iRobot Roomba and Scooba Chat