Would you buy a roomba 552?

The very latest news and updates for the iRobot Roomba robotic vacuum, the Scooba Robotic Washer and the Dirt Dog workshop sweeper. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Would you buy a roomba 552?

Postby walletless » April 7th, 2013, 1:37 am

I found someone who has used a Roomba 552 only 4 times and wants to sell it since he moved into a 2-storey house. I live in a 1000 sq.ft 2 bed+hall+kitchen+2bath single storey apartment. No pets but I have a 8-mo old kit who wants to put everything in his mouth and we are getting tired vacuuming every day.. The apartment is mostly carpeted except for kitchen (tiles) and bathrooms (tiles with rug).

We want something we can schedule to run around 11pm every night and also on-demand on weekends when we are not at home.

The guy is selling the unit for $200 and includes all the accessories that are on amazon.com for this model.. Do you think it is a decent deal or should I wait for a better deal on 6-series or 7-series model?
walletless

Re: Would you buy a roomba 552?

Postby mfortuna » April 7th, 2013, 1:44 am

I think that is a pretty good deal for a very capable robot. I don't think you are going to see a very cheap 600 or 700 series and from what I have read they are not going to clean much better.
Mike
Reds x 3, Dirt Dog, Disco (now a parts bot), Create, Scooba 350, and Security Dawg
Evolution Mint
Neato XV-11
mfortuna
Robot Master

Postby walletless » April 7th, 2013, 2:39 am

Thanks for the quick reply! Anything I should check before buying a used roomba.. Other than trying it out before buying?
walletless

Postby supradupafast » April 7th, 2013, 2:56 pm

for the 5xx models, Check the brushes. Spin them with your fingers, if they don't spin with ease, could indicate stuffed up gears. But it if was only used 4 times (I never believe those stories), I doubt that would be a problem. Also, ask him to charge the unit up and make sure you see it run. Paying $200 for a USED roomba , you want to make sure everything works.
I got my 551 which was barely used on Craigslist for $75.00.
Also, consider Ebay. You can grab a deal on "open box - never used" 4xx & 4xxx series under $100.00.
If you are going to be running this during the night, maybe the 5xx is a better idea as it is much quieter.

So to answer your question :
Battery life, Make sure brushes spin freely, and see the unit run before buying it. (if unfamiliar with Roombas, check youtube to see how a "normal" roomba operates.
supradupafast

Postby TechGuy » April 7th, 2013, 3:26 pm

I have not repaired a 500 series Roomba made in 2009 and later with the 9 beeps circle dance problem. Most of the Roomba with the 9 beeps problem were made in 2007 and 2008. But there is no guarantee for those made in 2009 and later will not develop 9 beeps problem.

Check the serial number: KYN 552xx yymmdd
After the first 5 digits, the next 6 digits is the manufacturing date.

I will not pay $200 for a 500 series Roomba. Sometime, Costco has 55x Roomba for sale at $250.

Ask the seller how long that Roomba was in storage with the battery inside without charging. Roomba will drain the battery to dead without charging.

Even if the battery recovers after a 16 hours charge, the battery may not be last as long as the new one even though the current owner used it for 4 times :?: . You may need a new battery shortly after purchase. If you need to buy a new battery, you will be spending close to $250 and without warranty.
Charging battery directly: 400 Series, 500 Series,. How to Desolder
For Sale: Black CHM 2 Ball Bearings set
TechGuy
Robot Addict

Postby walletless » April 7th, 2013, 6:50 pm

Wow!! Thanks everyone for the detailed replies. I have decided to wait for a better deal on 55x model for now.

The seller said he has not charged it since 3+ months. He has extra set of all brushes so even if the brush was not spinning he had an extra sealed one.. He is ready to lower the price to 180 but the battery scares me. It is a 2008 manufactured unit too..

Thanks again!!
walletless

Postby vic7767 » April 7th, 2013, 7:02 pm

Even if the brush is a new sealed one, it will not be any good if the old brush was not able to spin. That type of problem is usually due to a major brush gear assembly issue within the brush deck inside the Cleaning head module.

Many users of the Roomba are totally unaware that there are active electronics that continually drain battery power as long as the battery is installed inside the Roomba. Long term storage requires that the battery should be removed to prevent over discharge.
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/

http://www.Robot-Doc.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

Return to iRobot Roomba and Scooba Chat