Scooba alternative solutions

The very latest news and updates for the iRobot Roomba robotic vacuum, the Scooba Robotic Washer and the Dirt Dog workshop sweeper. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Postby xuk101 » April 22nd, 2006, 9:40 am

I tried many floor cleaning solution for my scooba to see whether they will be substitutes for original scooba clorox solution.
According to my experience, most of the solutions will reach the conductivity that scooba needs. However, I was unable to find one that is as tractional as scooba clorox solution.Even the Mr. Clean cleaner is much slipperier than scooba clorox solution.
Somebody may say scooba clorox solution is very cheap now, you don't have to waste your time testing alternative solutions. But one thing I have to clarify is one bottle of scooba solution costs about US$14 in Taiwan. So trying to find another suitable solution for scooba is necessary.
Any new idea about the scooba alternative solution?
xuk101

Postby THX-1138 » April 22nd, 2006, 10:09 am

:D Hello xuk101,

The cheapest is white vinegar but I would recommend it only on a very dilute solution or floors that are not sensitive to vinegar.
THX-1138
Robot Master

Postby xuk101 » April 22nd, 2006, 10:23 am

THX-1138,thank you for your suggestion. :lol:
Vinegar will be my choice if all other cleaners failed.
Vinegar attracts mosquito, mosquito loves humid environment, and Taiwan is a rainy island especially in summer. So, if I feed my scooba with vinegar, I think I am not going to sleep well in the coming summer. :wink:
xuk101

Postby THX-1138 » April 22nd, 2006, 1:57 pm

:shock: Hello xuk101,

I know what you mean! I live in the tropics but lucky me that we have screened all windows so mosquitoes is not a big issue.

Here is another alternative that is available in the USA but do not know if in Taiwan, it is called Simple Green (non-toxic and biogradable cleaning solution), this could be another possibility!

Here is their URL:

http://consumer.simplegreen.com/cons_prod_ori_mor.php

THX-1138
Robot Master

Postby xuk101 » April 23rd, 2006, 12:46 am

Thank you, THX-1138
I checked the data of Simple Green. I found the PH of this solution is moderate basic. I don't know if basic solution will harm to scooba, but the ph of Clorox is neutral. :roll:
xuk101

Postby xuk101 » April 27th, 2006, 11:44 am

I added Simple Green(1:50 floor cleaner ratio suggested by the Simple Green) to my scooba and filled the tank with tap water. It worked great except a little more foamy than Scooba Clorox.
Thanks to THX-1138 for telling me that Simple Green is a good alternative solution for scooba. :D
Last edited by xuk101 on May 7th, 2006, 2:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
xuk101

Postby THX-1138 » April 27th, 2006, 5:05 pm

:D That is great news xuk101! Have you tried to dilute it more, try 1:100 ratio and see if the foaming is less while it still cleans. I should try to experiment similar to rj5555 to find out. :wink:
THX-1138
Robot Master

Has Anyone Found A Natural Alternative

Postby MicoCoco » April 28th, 2006, 1:06 am

As I choose to only bring natural ingredients into my house, and I can't find the specifics on Clorox's formula, I wondered:

Does anyone know a natural alternative for the Scooba cleaner?

I'd love to find something completely natural and organic to put into my Brand-New Scooba, and on my floors, and around my kittys and myself.

I'm thinking like a lemon or orange cleaner my work. Some of you techies out there may have a better answer.

Any insight you can shed on this situation would be greatly appreciated !
thanks and all best ~
Mico & Coco
:D
MicoCoco

Postby THX-1138 » April 28th, 2006, 1:11 am

You can't go wrong with the oldest and most natural cleaner than a diluted solution of White Vinegar.

You can also try Simple Green.

Hope it helps. :wink:
THX-1138
Robot Master

thanx for the Suiggestions

Postby MicoCoco » April 28th, 2006, 1:20 am

Hello THX-1138,

Thanks a lot for the suggestions. I will look at the vinegar option. Simple Green's smell bothers my girlfriend.

However, it's a great start.

I look forward to getting my floors cleaned naturally !!

thanks again !
all best ~
Mico & Coco
MicoCoco

Postby Phrozen Horse » April 28th, 2006, 2:58 am

Just be careful on grout with the vinegar...The acidity will attack it and eventually you will get tiny holes in the grout.
I'm sure there must be natural low foaming cleaners around with a neutral or basic pH.
Phrozen Horse

Postby IndyGuy » April 28th, 2006, 9:44 am

I took a look at a bottle of Mr Clean and noticed that the active ingredient was sodium hydoxide (very basic). Such caustic solutions are also very slippery, so they will not give good traction for the Scooba. I too would be a little concerned about how a caustic solution might harm Scooba's insides.
IndyGuy
Robot Addict

Postby xuk101 » April 29th, 2006, 11:15 am

Hi MicoCoco,

I tried a natural solution for Scooba and it worked! :idea:

1/4 cup white vinegar+3/4 cup Magiclean-Living room and add tap water to full tank.

Magiclean is a popular cleaner in Taiwan. The ingredients of Magiclean-Living room are natural citrus essence and natural palm oil polysaccharide. So, white vinegar+Magiclean-Living room could be an all or at least almost natural alternative solution for Scooba. :wink:
However, it is so natural and will attract insects. :?
Magiclean may be unavailable outside Taiwan. But you can try cleaners that use natural ingredients and add white vinegar to provide the electrolyte that Scooba needs.
Last edited by xuk101 on May 6th, 2006, 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
xuk101

Postby rj5555 » April 29th, 2006, 6:30 pm

IndyGuy wrote:I took a look at a bottle of Mr Clean and noticed that the active ingredient was sodium hydoxide (very basic). Such caustic solutions are also very slippery,

Look another type of mister clean then... they are not all the same:

Don Limpio Limon (translated Mr clean lemon, datasheet: here) contains sodium hydoxide but Don Limpio Ph Neutro (datasheet here) doesn't. But even with the Lemon version the Scooba has enough traction as long as I use between 1/3 and 1/2 measuring cup of Mr Clean on a full tank of water.

IndyGuy wrote: so they will not give good traction for the Scooba. I too would be a little concerned about how a caustic solution might harm Scooba's insides.

There is (almost) no metal in the fluid path of the Scooba, even the inside of the pump is 100% metal free.
rj5555
Robot Addict

Simple Green as alternative cleaning solution

Postby kg23 » June 1st, 2006, 6:43 pm

I find that simple green at about 1:50 works well and is very inexpensive. 1:30 caused some traction problems on my tile floor and left more liquid behind.

Simple green smells much better than the clorox stuff which left a mildewy smell when I used it.

Since the pump assembly is 100% plastic, I don't see how Simple Green could be harmful to the scooba.
http://mysite.verizon.net/gsplews/17PumpAsm.htm
kg23

baking soda

Postby sparkle » June 5th, 2006, 12:23 am

long live this thread! :)

hope we can find alternative solutions that can be used with the scooba. i'm all for non-toxic natural cleaning solutions as i've been using vinegar (mix with a tiny bit of commercial cleaners) to mop my floors before owning scooba :wink:

do u think we can try dissolving baking soda with some water & use it as an alternative solution? has anyone tried that before?
sparkle

Simple Green as a Scooba Juice alternative

Postby My Roomba is Rambo » June 5th, 2006, 7:10 pm

Has anyone tried a product called "Simple Green"? It is a great general surface cleaner, inexpensive and biodegradable. I could test for foaming and compare slipperiness I suppose, but don't have a clue how to do the conductivity test. Any advice? Do I have to buy a meter at Radio Shack?
My Roomba is Rambo
Robot Addict

Postby IndyGuy » June 5th, 2006, 11:37 pm

Simple Green has been discussed earlier in this thread. It has been sucessfully used as an alternative solution for irobot's Scooba Juice. Look around midway thru page 2 of this thread for dilution recommendations.
IndyGuy
Robot Addict

Mastro Lindo

Postby FrenchConnection » June 14th, 2006, 8:19 am

I havn't yet been able to find the pH-nuetral version of Mr. Propre where I live in France, but during a trip to Italy this weekend I found some Mastro Lindo juice (AcquActive Formula a pH Neutro). I used this with my Scooba following the mixing ratio suggested by rj5555 (one bottle cap for a Scooba tank).

This makes me somewhat worried however, as the cleaning result is MUCH MUCH MUCH better than with the Clorox solution. Will a stronger solution like this damage the Scooba? Why wouldn't iRobot recommend a stronger cleaning solution with a far better result if that would still be safe for Scooba?
FrenchConnection

Postby IndyGuy » June 14th, 2006, 9:32 am

French Connection, can you state the ingredients in your cleaner? Do you have the manufacturer's website? My floors can't get any cleaner than what they are now from using iRobot's "Scooba Juice", but I'm curious. In what manner did your cleaner perform better (for example: getting up ground in dirt?).

As far as damaging your Scooba, iRobots juice was formulated to meet the following requirments stated in italics below. The text in italics is from an iRobot representative, and originally appered in an RJ5555 post. Note that he very first post in this long thread was RJ5555's alternate cleaner experimental work that tested for these requirements:

Here is a response from Josh (iRobot) on this matter.

Certain tap water (depending on where you live) does not have the
electronic conductivity necessary to activate Scooba's tank sensors.
iRobot does not recommend using other cleaning solutions with Scooba,
but you may use a dilute vinegar and water solution. You should mix
2oz. of vinegar with a full tank of water to create the conductivity
necessary to activate Scooba's tank sensors.

Clorox Scooba cleaning solution is specially formulated for use with
Scooba. Through a partnership with Clorox, we developed a cleaning
solution that has special characteristics that make it work especially
well with Scooba. These characteristics include:

Low Foam. Clorox Scooba cleaning solution does not create as much foam
as many common cleaning solutions. Scooba's cleaning system pumps a
small amount of fresh cleaning solution onto the floor. If the
solution becomes foamy inside the robot, Scooba's ability to pump the
cleaning solution is diminished.

High Traction. Clorox Scooba cleaning solution is a "high traction"
liquid. Many common cleaning solutions create a soapy, slippery film
on the floor. To maximize Scooba's ability to drive around on the
floor in areas it just cleaned, we developed a solution that does not
create this slippery film.

Conductive. Scooba's Cleaning solution, like many cleaning solutions,
is slightly conductive. By adding the solution to water, you create a
solution that Scooba's Clean tank sensors can look for. If the
robot "sees" solution in the tank, it continues cleaning. If the robot
does not see solution in the tank, it assumes that the cleaning cycle
is complete. In the event that the solution is not conductive, Scooba
cannot "see" the water in the clean tank, and it assumes that the
cycle is complete.

The Clorox Scooba cleaning solution is also formulated to be non-
corrosive to Scooba's tanks and other parts. Other cleaning solutions
can damage Scooba's electronics, especially if they foam up inside the
robot. For this reason, use of other cleaning solutions voids Scooba's
warranty.

- Josh

So you could get eventual damage to your Scooba if there is excessive foaming. You may want to go back to the original post in this thread and do a foam test. I believe RJ gives a more detailed description of this test somewhere else within this tread. Keep us posted! :D
IndyGuy
Robot Addict

PreviousNext

Return to iRobot Roomba and Scooba Chat