Flashing Red Status LED

The very latest news and updates for the iRobot Roomba robotic vacuum, the Scooba Robotic Washer and the Dirt Dog workshop sweeper. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Flashing Red Status LED

Postby noodleNT » June 26th, 2006, 11:12 pm

First off.... This thing is AWSOME! Now I need one that will dust counter tops and make my bed! Get on it iRobot!

I have the Discovery Roomba and just used it for the first time. It did a fantastic job cleaning. I was shocked how much dirt and hair it picked up. (I thought my place was clean) Now the Status LED next to the power button is flashing red and I can't figure out why. Roomba is currently charging away and everything else seems ok.
noodleNT

Postby THX-1138 » June 26th, 2006, 11:21 pm

:D Hello NoodleNT! Welcome to the community!

I recommend something to all new members, please read the manual. You can find many basics there and if you still have questions please come here and we will help you. To answer your question :

"The Charge Indicator Light is located immediately to the right of the power button on Roomba Red and Roomba (sage). On Roomba Discovery and Discovery SE, the Charge Indicator Light is incorporated into the power button. Please refer to the table below to determine what the Charge Indicator Light is telling you.

* Pulsing Amber - Charging
* Green - Fully Charged
* Amber - Partially Discharged
* Red - Almost Fully Discharged
* Flashing Red - Fully Discharged"

Hope this helps you and please check out the posts and the stickies here to get some very important information on how to take care of your new robot! :wink:
Last edited by THX-1138 on July 29th, 2007, 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
THX-1138
Robot Master

Postby noodleNT » June 26th, 2006, 11:41 pm

Thanks... my co-workers laughed when it showed up at the office. By the end of the day one by one came up to me wanting me to let me know how well it worked. :P

I did run through the online manual and the booklet, but it doesn't talk about the little "STATUS" light. Page 4 talks about charging and what the big power button will do durring it's charging phase.

I am not talking about the large power button but the little red "STATUS" LED to the bottom left of te power button. Still can't find anything about that.
noodleNT

Postby noodleNT » June 27th, 2006, 12:00 am

It's the Mission status.... Does it flash red because I sent Roomba home before it finished?
noodleNT

Postby THX-1138 » June 27th, 2006, 12:11 am

:shock: O.K. seemed I misread your question. What you are looking for is at Pg. 7 "Mission Status" :

At the end of a cleaning mission, Roomba will tell you if it has successfully completed it's mission or not:

GREEN = MISSION COMPLETE

YELLOW = MISSION ABANDONED (Check robot's brushes, etc.)

YELLOW + RED POWER BUTTON = BATTERY DEPLETED (Scheduler Models)

RED + YELLOW POWER BUTTON = BATTERY DEPLETED (Discovery Models)

Hope this answers your question. :wink:
Last edited by THX-1138 on July 29th, 2007, 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
THX-1138
Robot Master

Postby noodleNT » June 28th, 2006, 11:12 am

Last night I arrived to a dead Roomba. :(

It was sitting 3 inches away from the home base. It appears the battery died. The odd part is there was absolutely no dirt in the bin so it looks as if it never started it's scheduled job.

I am letting Roomba charge now but that Red mission light is still flashing and the charge indicator is slowly flashing amber. This light combo doesn't appear in the list. Since day one the Mission Status light has been flashing Red.

I enabled the beep diag codes by holding the power button for 30 seconds and got the following beep code.

Low Tone Beeps - 1 beep pause 2 beeps
followed by 4 quick high tone beeps.

Where can I look these up?
noodleNT

Postby THX-1138 » June 28th, 2006, 5:40 pm

Hello noodleNT, you should really take a look at your manual. The following information is there:

number of beeps after ?uh-oh? :

No beeps: A wheel is stuck or is not touching the ground. Pick up the robot, place it down securely on the floor and touch the clean button to restart the cycle.

1 beep: The main brushes cannot turn. Turn over Roomba and remove the brush guard by pushing the two yellow tabs. Remove the brushes, clear any obstructions, and replace them again.

2 beeps: The side brush cannot turn. Turn over Roomba. Look to see if something is wrapped around the side brush. Remove the side brush with a screw driver and check for string or hair that may be wrapped around it.

3 beeps: The vacuum cannot run Remove and empty Roomba?s bin.

4 beeps: A wheel motor cannot run Your Roomba may be stuck or something may be wrapped around a wheel. Look for something wrapped around the wheels. Push them in and out and make sure they turn easily.

5 beeps: The cliff sensors have failed or are blocked. Turn over Roomba and clear any debris that might be caught underneath the front bumper in the cliff sensors. You can also use compressed air to clean them out.

6 beeps: Wheel obstruction or robot attempting to drive over an obstacle. Turn over Roomba and remove any obstructions that prevent the wheels from seating all the way up into Roomba?s body. Also, remove any obstacles that Roomba could drive over.

7 or 8 beeps: Not applicable Roomba?s beep codes do not include 7 or 8 beeps. If you are getting an error with 7 or 8 beeps, try counting again or contact iRobot Customer Care.

9 beeps: Sensor error Please contact iRobot Customer Care.

10 beeps: Roomba is stuck Pick up Roomba and start it again somewhere else. Use a virtual wall or other barrier to keep Roomba away from the
place it got stuck.

Hope this helps you troubleshoot your robot. :wink:
Last edited by THX-1138 on July 29th, 2007, 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
THX-1138
Robot Master

Postby noodleNT » June 28th, 2006, 11:00 pm

Found what the flashing Red status light means.... Roomba is Scheduled to clean!

Finaly got that worked out... now I have Roomba battery problems. I just let Roomba charge for 24 hours on it's home base. (Light was pulsing) I took it off the base and the light was green. I hit spot clean... it did some cleaning and then the light went red. It had only run for 4 minutes tops. I remember reading somewhere on how to do a batter reset so it knows the battery is full. Let me see if I can find that post now.

Thanks for the help on the other stuff! If this works well I might just get the scuba!
noodleNT

Postby THX-1138 » June 28th, 2006, 11:49 pm

Your Roomba may be experiencing an issue where the battery is deeply discharged and may need to charge longer than the standard 3 hours. (or 7 hours if you have a standard charger)

Even with the charging light showing green (this indicates a fully charged battery) the robot is still charging. If your Roomba exhibits behavior where it charges for a short time then runs for a short time you will need to do the following.

1. Plug the charger into Roomba (if you have a home base be sure to plug directly into Roomba instead of using the home base, this will ensure the robot's charging cycle is not interrupted.)

2. After the Roomba's charging indicator goes to solid green please keep the Roomba on the charger for an additional 72 hours. (3 days)

3. After the 72 hours (3 days) has passed, turn your Roomba on and begin a normal cleaning cycle. If this works successfully it may take several uses for the battery to get back up to the performance it once had.

If this does not correct the problem, please call customer support at 877-855-8593 :wink:
THX-1138
Robot Master

Postby noodleNT » June 28th, 2006, 11:59 pm

Man... 3 days to charge! I haven't even owned it for that long yet. :cry:
noodleNT

Virtual wall flashing

Postby jen » July 23rd, 2006, 2:42 am

The green light by the power button on my virtual wall unit started flashing, so I changed the batteries. Still flashing. So I pulled the other one out of the box, put batteries in, and used it. Fine, but later it too started flashing. What's the deal? (Yes, I know, I could pull my manual out, but if I were organized enough to know where it is, maybe I wouldn't need a Roomba to vacuum for me!)

Jen
jen

Postby THX-1138 » July 23rd, 2006, 10:55 am

Hello jen,

Welcome this forum!

Try the following:

1- Take out the batteries from the VWU

2- Press and Hold the ON/OFF button until the LED is no longer powered

3- Re-insert batteries and use it

This should take care of you VWU flashing LED issue, eitherway let us know you results. :wink:
THX-1138
Robot Master

Postby GadgetAddict » July 23rd, 2006, 8:42 pm

THX-1138 wrote::shock: O.K. seemed I misread your question. What you are looking for is at Pg. 7 "Mission Status" :

At the end ofa cleaning mission, Roomba will tell you if it has successfully completed it's mission or not:

GREEN = MISSION COMPLETE

YELLOW = MISSION ABANDONED (Check robot's brushes, etc.)

YELLOW + RED POWER BUTTON = BATTERY DEPLETED (Scheduler Models)

RED + YELLOW POWER BUTTON = BATTERY DEPLETED (Discovery Models)

Hope this answers your question. :wink:

I've had my Roomba just a few days and it's great. It wasn't until I was reading this that I realized I've never seen my status light come on at all. Seems to work ok so I guess it's a defective light? :?:
GadgetAddict

three deadly beeps

Postby Jen0 » December 29th, 2006, 12:16 am

My Roomba was staggering around in circles like a drunk when I set it to "Clean." After a few minutes it sang its song, all lights went green and it beeped 3 short beeps. I called tech support and they said this means a serious hardware problem and the Roomba needs to be replaced. (iRobot is sending me a new one.) Can anyone give me more info about this beep code or others, different from the ones that follow an "uh-oh" that are described above?
Jen0

Postby THX-1138 » December 29th, 2006, 8:24 am

Hello Jen0,

The beep codes are on this same thread you are posting. Please read the previous postings dated June 28, 2006. You will find your answer there. :wink:
THX-1138
Robot Master

Postby thousandsofkates » January 3rd, 2007, 12:27 pm

I've moved my post, it didn't really fit here :D
thousandsofkates

Postby ladykuroda » January 21st, 2007, 11:22 am

What does it mean when Roomba plays its happy tune and then beeps three times? Mine just did this.... so I figured it was stuck (from where it was in my living room). So, I snagged it out of the corner it was in, and placed it back in the middle of the room and hit "clean". (Both the spot and clean buttons were lit on my Red.)

Does this mean "mission completed"? :?: Or does it mean "Help, I'm stuck!" like I thought?
ladykuroda

Postby Todemesne » January 21st, 2007, 3:00 pm

The three beeps after a happy tune means, "I have finished cleaning come and get me and charge me up again." The three beeps play every few minutes so you can locate your Roomba. After a while it will stop bleeping and wait for you to come and collect it. :)
Todemesne
Robot Addict

Postby ladykuroda » January 21st, 2007, 3:38 pm

Todemesne wrote:The three beeps after a happy tune means, "I have finished cleaning come and get me and charge me up again." The three beeps play every few minutes so you can locate your Roomba. After a while it will stop bleeping and wait for you to come and collect it. :)

Awesomeness! Thank you very much, Todemesne! So, I guess that means I vaccuumed twice today... XD
ladykuroda

Postby Atheen » June 6th, 2007, 9:25 am

Attached is a table with all the beeps and what they mean that I found by fishing around at the irobot site and copied.

Hope it helps some of you :)

ImageImage

I would have attached the html file, but its not allowed ;)
Atheen

Next

Return to iRobot Roomba and Scooba Chat