FYI - iRobot Roomba and Scooba Warranty (USA/Canada)

The very latest news and updates for the iRobot Roomba robotic vacuum, the Scooba Robotic Washer and the Dirt Dog workshop sweeper. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

FYI - iRobot Roomba and Scooba Warranty (USA/Canada)

Postby THX-1138 » August 4th, 2006, 10:08 am

Many times people do not read their warranty information of their recent purchase but for cleaning robots it is very important to know what you get. Here is iRobot's LIMITED WARRANTY so you know :

"LIMITED WARRANTY TO ORIGINAL PURCHASER

This Roomba brand product, as supplied and distributed by iRobot Corporation, and delivered as manufactured, in the carton to the original customer purchaser, is warranted by iRobot Corporation against manufacturing defects in materials and workmanship for the qualifying limited warranty period as follows:
1 YEAR LABOR AND PARTS

This limited warranty begins on the original date of purchase, and is valid only on products purchased and used in North America, and does not include installation, removal or reinstallation. Warranty repairs must be performed by iRobot Corporation?s authorized service center. To receive warranty service, the original dated bill of sale must be presented upon request as proof of purchase to iRobot Corporation?s authorized service center. To obtain warranty service, support or other information, please visit our website at www.irobot.com or by calling 877-855-8593.

iRobot Corporation will repair or replace this product, at our option and at no charge with new or reconditioned parts, if found to be defective during the limited warranty period specified above. To request service, the purchaser must contact iRobot Corporation for problem determination and service procedures. iRobot Corporation does not warrant uninterrupted or error-free operation of the product. All replaced parts and products become the property of iRobot Corporation and must be returned to iRobot. Replacement parts and products assume the remaining original warranty, or 60 days, whichever is longer.

This limited warranty covers manufacturing defects in materials and workmanship encountered in normal, and, except to the extent otherwise expressly provided in this statement, non-commercial use of this product and shall not apply to the following, including but not limited to: damage which occurs in shipment; applications and uses for which this product was not intended; failures or problems which are caused by products or equipment not supplied by iRobot Corporation; accidents, misuse,abuse,neglect,misapplication,fire,water,lightning or other acts of nature;incorrect electrical line voltage, fluctuations or surges; damage caused by improper installation; product alteration or modification; improper or unauthorized repair;exterior finish or cosmetic damage;failure to follow operation instructions,customer adjustments,maintenance and environmental instructions that are covered and prescribed in the instruction book;use of non-iRobot or unauthorized parts,supplies,accessories or equipment which damage this product or result in service problems;failures or problems due to incompatibility with other equipment. "

Regards,

Nikolai - RoombaReview.com
THX-1138
Robot Master

Re: FYI - iRobot Roomba and Scooba Warranty (USA/Canada)

Postby Amarak2 » February 18th, 2010, 9:24 pm

I see on this you say that this warranty is only good for the original purchaser. What happens if I bought one and gave it to someone else as a wedding gift? Am I to understand the company will not honor their warranty, if they are not the person who purchased it? That is crazy! Most warranties on products are transferable with an item if they are still in force at the time it changes ownership. I also purchased a 3 yr. protection plan for this machine, it is transferable, as I checked before giving it away, but never even thought about the original warranty. The protection plan doesn't start until the 1 yr. factory warranty is up.
Amarak2

Postby vic7767 » February 18th, 2010, 10:06 pm

That post is 4 years old but still holds true.
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/

http://www.Robot-Doc.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby mcraeh » February 19th, 2010, 6:01 am

I don't think they will not honor the warranty if you got a brand new one as a gift. I got mine for Christmas, and customer service worked with me and sent me a warranty replacement. Even though I couldn't tell them the purchase date, or provide the receipt, since it was a gift.
mcraeh
Robot Groupie

Postby Karen354 » February 19th, 2010, 9:41 am

A couple of years ago, I received my first roomba as a gift. When it lurched into the "circle of death" within the year, iRobot tried to help me fix it, over the phone. When that didn't cure it, the service person asked me to return the 'bot at their expense, and sent me a new one, which had the advantage of a swivel wheel instead of the fixed one. Since that time the new one has been happy, requiring nothing more than a periodic thorough cleaning, and a new battery. So far, my experience with customer service has been quite positive.
Karen
Karen354

Postby mfortuna » February 19th, 2010, 11:01 am

I have dealt with warranty issues with many products over the years, both as a gift giver and gift recipient. It helps to have the receipt (I keep them for expensive gifts I buy) as proof of purchase because some companies require it.
Mike
Reds x 3, Dirt Dog, Disco (now a parts bot), Create, Scooba 350, and Security Dawg
Evolution Mint
Neato XV-11
mfortuna
Robot Master

Postby mcpearce » October 22nd, 2011, 6:02 pm

Back in May 2011 I had my sister bring a Scooba 380 to my condo in Colombia, South America. Last week it started doing the 5 beep dance of death. As soon as I mentioned that I was outside of the US, they refused to give me any more support or guidance over the phone, and said the warranty was voided. They said due to difference in the power grid.

I think this is rather unfair. The power grid is the same, and I don't know if any other company that won't stand behind their product just because it was used outside the US/Canada. I don't mind paying for shipping to/from my US address, but to declare the warranty void is really nasty.

It passes the self-test with flying colors, and doing so, i understand also voids the warranty. I'm going to take a gamble and get new wheels to see if that solves the problem. Hard to believe this unit was only use a couple dozen times, and I even forgot to remove the stickers on the latch. Non-US buyer beware!
mcpearce

Postby vic7767 » October 22nd, 2011, 6:25 pm

Tests 14 & 15 check the tachometer sensor on each wheel when running the Built in tests. One or both of those tests should have failed if your Scooba has a defective wheel.

Most folks are aware that a US purchased iRobot product is not covered by any type of warranty when used overseas, sorry you had to learn this the hard way.
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/

http://www.Robot-Doc.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby Gordon » October 23rd, 2011, 2:30 am

mcpearce wrote:...It passes the self-test with flying colors, ...
I think you may not have given the caster wheel a proper exam. Make certain that the wheel freely spins when you flick it into rotation. Generally, if pet hairs are on the floor Scooba will wind them around the caster's axle ends and put the wheel in a bind. If you find it that way, spring open the fender walls to release the wheel assembly for de-furring.

Notice the last item in this advisory from Scooba's service manual:
"Customer complaint :
o Scooba is not driving straight;
o Scooba is driving in circles;
o Scooba gives an error of “uh-oh and 5 beeps”.
o Wheels sound loud.
---------------------------------------------------------
BiT REPAIR STEPS
* Check the tires for wear. Confirm they turn with
equal resistance.
* Optional : unscrew the two tires and check for
debris on the inside of the wheel (see A).
* Remove the front caster and inspect for debris."
Gordon
Robot Master

Postby mcpearce » October 25th, 2011, 11:16 am

What didn't seem fair to me is that they are saying they won't honor the warranty because of the "power grid".

1) The power grid is the same at 110V, 60 Hz.
2) They sell the Scooba 385 in Latin America which I understand is identical aside from the accessories in the box.
3) I use an external charger, so my Scooba 380 is never plugged directly into the grid.
4) They are no longer providing any phone support now they have determined the warranty to be voided.
5) I have a household full of US appliances, most have been working for years, a couple have broken, but never had a company void the warranty based on location of usage. Apple even pays for shipping anywhere in the world, and I'd be happy with a contract like AppleCare.

I can understand that they don't want to pay for shipping outside of the US, and I can also understand that they are not allowed to sell directly to other countries due to regulations. I don't see a logical reason why my taking my Scooba on vacation with me would void the warranty automatically.

Sorry, don't mean to hijack this thread for non-warranty issues. Please point me to the correct thread for the Scooba 380 5 beeps error. I have some interesting updates....
mcpearce

Return to iRobot Roomba and Scooba Chat