Can you use scooba on laminate floors?

The very latest news and updates for the iRobot Roomba robotic vacuum, the Scooba Robotic Washer and the Dirt Dog workshop sweeper. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

laminate flooring

Postby dataway » January 3rd, 2007, 5:38 pm

I have been using the Scooba 5800 on my Bamboo Laminate flooring made by Bamtex. I consulted the manufacturer and the installer and they both said the same thing to me. They stated that it will not hurt the flooring if I just do the cleaning every other week as this will allow the floor to dry properly. When I do run the scooba on the floors, I turn on the heater and let it run for about 10 minutes towards the end of the cleaning cycle I then go over it with a polisher to shine it up. I have been using the clorox solution and have had no ill effects. I have run the scooba on the floors about 8 times now and they look great.

Regards,

John
dataway

Postby Bunkie111 » January 18th, 2007, 9:25 am

So far, I have used my 5900 on my 7 yr. old Pergo floor 3 times (once per week). I make sure to mop up any left over puddles, but as another poster pointed out, it doesn't get any wetter than when you mop. Now I understand that a mop is not forcing the water onto the floor like the Scooba, but it cleans so well that I think it's worth the risk. For the record I'm using the Clorox solution. I'll keep everyone posted on my results.
Bunkie111

Postby Bunkie111 » March 17th, 2007, 7:14 pm

Bunkie111 wrote:So far, I have used my 5900 on my 7 yr. old Pergo floor 3 times (once per week). I make sure to mop up any left over puddles, but as another poster pointed out, it doesn't get any wetter than when you mop. Now I understand that a mop is not forcing the water onto the floor like the Scooba, but it cleans so well that I think it's worth the risk. For the record I'm using the Clorox solution. I'll keep everyone posted on my results.

Update 3/17:

Been using the Scooba every week with no issues.
Bunkie111

Postby Qooop » March 18th, 2007, 4:31 pm

My pergo is only two years old. I recently had a water jug under the kitchen sink leaking. It may have been a few days before I noticed it. Now the panels in front of the sink have swollen just enough to notice. The edges are sticking up a bit and I am sure I will have to have it repaired. I thought the installer told me he would seal the Pergo in front of the sink but I guess he did not.

I did read up on how to repair it and I saved a few boxes of panels so I should be okay. But I don't think I will take a chance on a Scooba just because the huge cost of replacing a larger area would be very bad and, anyway, I have a wife who has agreed to do the mopping as long as I manage the Roomba maintainence and run them every morning.
Qooop

Postby THX-1138 » March 18th, 2007, 8:23 pm

My take on Scooba and laminate flooring is that if you take the risk to run it and it work then GREAT :D But if it does not then do not go to iRobot ranting about it. Personally I do not use Scooba on pergo flooring, there are other types of robots that use a humid cloth instead of brush and cleaning fluid that may do the job on laminated flooring. Check out :

http://www.ubot.co.kr/
THX-1138
Robot Master

Postby cevamal » June 4th, 2007, 2:38 pm

Here's what I don't understand (and if this has been discussed to death I apologize, just point me towards a thread and/or search terms!)

The [url=http://www.hoover.com/db/xq/asp.hvrFAQ/TI.5/qx/HardFloorCleaners.htmHoover Floormate[/url] FAQ says:

1 Is the FloorMate? safe to use on laminate floors?

Yes, the FloorMate? is safe to use on laminate floors.

Why would the Scooba be different? Isn't it the same idea, spray cleanser on floor, scrub it around, suck it back up?

I'm moving to a house with laminent floors and would LOVE to be able to justify a Scooba, but the kitchen alone (high end vinyl) won't do it. I already have a Floormate.
cevamal

Postby JGHoustontx » June 4th, 2007, 3:40 pm

The floormate is a plug in cleaner so i would think it would have more spining & shooting power and would have more potiental to damage the floors than a scooba.
:?: :?: :?: :?
-Jon
1 Scooba 5900 "scoobs"
1 Roomba 4225 "two-two"
1 Roomba 4130 "Blue"
1 Scooba 5800 "Scruber"
1 Dirt Dog "Ol' Yeller"
1 Roomba 4100 "Red"
1 Roomba 4110 "Whitiee"
JGHoustontx

Postby THX-1138 » June 4th, 2007, 7:10 pm

The problem would be that many 'snap-on' laminated floors can easily be damaged in the short or long term use with a Scooba. As I mentioned before, it may as well not cause noticeable damage and if so then great but if it does....

My take, iRobot wants to cover their hinds just in case someone uses it on these type of floors (i.e. unsealed laminates) and then gets damaged because they used Scooba.

Personally, I cost me some $$ and pain to set them up at my home and I am fine using the old fashioned way until I get a robot like the Ubot by MicroRobot that uses a wet cloth instead of sprayed water in brushes for my type of floors.

So in conclusion, try it at your own risk and if it works let us know so we can compare floors and success stories in order to build a list of tried floors. :wink:
THX-1138
Robot Master

Postby greyhound » August 21st, 2007, 4:30 pm

I just wanted to add something to this thread since I've just started a job that has access to flooring samples. To simply say that scooba is safe for all laminate flooring (or not safe like irobot does) is way too broad of a statement. Some laminates or engineered woods are very well built and I would trust the scooba cleaning them for sure. I have a sample sitting right next to me that has what looks like MDF at a couple of the edges! Yikes. But, it also has nearly 3/16" of wood on the surface, so it might hold up OK. But I would be scared to mop that flooring with anything other than a slightly damp sponge. Irobot is definitely covering their rears by saying NO laminate. Man, that MDF edging scares me, though
-Brad
Roomba Scheduler and Scooba
greyhound
Robot Addict

Postby Loboc » November 11th, 2007, 8:10 pm

I have a Floormate and a 5800. There's a big difference in how they work and how long the floor stays wet.

The Floormate dries the floor much quicker and drier than the 5800. The 5800 wets the entire floor, then, goes back over and vacuums up the excess. The Floormate you basically dry as you go.

On high humidity days, I need to initiate another dry-cycle on the 5800 as the floor stays wet very long (like over a half hour) otherwise.

I would be very careful about trying a Scooba on 'click and play' wood flooring. The edges of the flooring just are not sealed. And, as another post pointed out, some are basically MDF with a thin layer of wood laminated on top.

I wouldn't have a problem using the Scooba on an edge-glued laminate floor. (imho as I have installed both types.) The edge-glued floors can be damaged by being wet for a long time (like sitting a flower pot on it), but, being wet for a normal cleaning cycle should be ok.

The 5800 is more convenient and way easier on my back and joints! Plus, I can watch tv while it's doing it's thing :). The Floormate is collecting dust in the pantry.

hth.
--
Loboc
Loboc

laminate floors

Postby zenrobert » July 20th, 2008, 8:53 pm

:D I have the 340 Scooba and it is fine on the various brands of laminate floors I have down. Here in the high desert, the humidity is low, so the residual water dries very quickly. I would say that without any help from me, no area of the floor is still wet after 5 mins.
zenrobert

Re: Can you use scooba on laminate floors?

Postby cgc » June 18th, 2012, 4:39 pm

Tried scooba on a laminate floor that was swiffered the day before. The water was dirty; but the floor was streaks and dull from the robot. I used a small amount of vinegar and then water. Unless someone has formula that will eliminate the streaks and put a shine (or leave the original shine) on the floor that's the end of Scoobas life as a laminate floor washer. (according to saint wife) :D
cgc

Re: Can you use scooba on laminate floors?

Postby djos » July 5th, 2012, 2:36 am

I've tried our newly purchased Scooba 380 on our laminate floors and considering the small amount of water the Scooba puts down, im not concerned about floor damage at all. It's not much water compared with mopping and our Laminate floor is so smooth that the Scooba has no problems picking up most of the water and so it dries pretty fast.
Current Robot's:
Neato BotVac 80
Neato XV-11 w/ Pet Brush-bar & Filter, 3500mAh Batteries
iRobot Scooba 380

Previous Robots:
iRobot Roomba 562PE w/ Aerovac Bin & Sealed-bearing CHM
Evolution Mint 4200
djos
Robot Addict

Previous

Return to iRobot Roomba and Scooba Chat