Cleanmate 365 and Discovery comparision

Read Reviews of the Roomba, Scooba, Dirt Dog, and all other robotic appliances. Or, feel free to write your own.

Cleanmate 365 and Discovery comparision

Postby antimatter » January 23rd, 2007, 7:22 pm

I am a longtime forum member but just had to re-enable my account due to not posting in several years. I have had 3 generations of roombas and have owned the discovery for over a year. I would recommend that anyone who buys a roomba also get the extended warranty because they do have a high failure rate. I have had 3 failures with my discovery. 1.) Dirt detect failure, 2.) roomba dance, most recently a battery failure that has taken months to resolve because they keep screwing up my home address. I purchased a cleanmate 365 because it was only 149$ and I could not resist while I waited for my roomba to return. The cleanmate has some cool features that the roomba does not. Most notibly:
1.) UV light for killing germs (hard to prove if it works or not)
2.) will seek out a light source when at the end of a cleaning cycle so you don't have to retrieve under a bed
3.) Easy to clean top accessible dust bin that is water submersible
4.) detachable remote that allows you to select cleaning patterns.
5.) much quieter
6.) the ability to select UV only clean mode (very quite and long battery life)
7.) Air freshener option.

This said. I miss my discovery. The cleanmate simply does not clean as well as the roomba. The roomba dust bin would always be full and it would rarely get stuck. The cleanmate gets stuck often and does not do a good job of getting unstuck. The cleanmate dustbin is never full.

conclusion: You get what you pay for. If you have a 150 to kill and like robots and want to play around with a cleanmate go ahead and get one. worst case you can drive it around with the remote in UV only mode and use it as a remote control disk to serve beer to your friends. Or use it to freshen a room But beware it is no Roomba and is not a replacement for one.

P.S roombas have problems but they are getting better over time and correcting the problems slowly. We just need to keep on Irobot with suggestions and complaints. I would like to see irobot incorporate all of the features above. This forum is a great think tank in which to do that. I have been willing to purchase several different roomba models over the years because I want to see this technology improve and expand into other niches.
Needs rachet up up up never down down down
antimatter

Re: Cleanmate 365 and Discovery comparision

Postby davidelewis » March 30th, 2007, 9:02 pm

antimatter wrote:I purchased a cleanmate 365 because it was only 149$ and I could not resist while I waited for my roomba to return.

Is your Cleanmate 365 the QQ-1 or QQ-2 model?
http://www.metapo.com/products/home/cleanmate.php

Main features of QQ-2:
    - Automatically returns to charging base for recharging when low on battery power
    - Resumes cleaning for 40 minutes after battery recharge completion
    - Auto-off feature conserves power when unit is not in use
    - Return unit to charging base with compact size remote control
    - Longer cleaning time (up to 70 minutes in one charge)
    - 3 1/2 hours quick battery charging
    - Nickel metal hydride (NiMH) 2500 mAh battery: 500+ recharging cycle
    From: http://www.metapo.com/products/home/cleanmate_QQ2_faq.php#2
I'm considering the QQ-2 model - but would like feedback from anyone who has tried it out.[/list]
davidelewis
Robot Addict

Postby THX-1138 » March 31st, 2007, 1:25 pm

Welcome to RoombaReview.com davidelewis :D

The QQ2 is Metapo's updated version of the QQ1. Currently I have one for review and should have it ready soon. The QQ2 is very much like the QQ1 with some improvements, they are more of an evolutionary updates than a huge update. Please check out my complete review of the QQ1 version that is found in the "READ REVIEWS" of this site. There I make comparisons between the Cleanmate and Roomba Discovery so you can make your final decision on what to purchase. :wink:
THX-1138
Robot Master

More on QQ1 and Discovery comparision

Postby antimatter » April 3rd, 2007, 11:45 am

I have the QQ1. It just got it back from the RMA department at Metapo. I am really regretting buying it. For $150 I could have gotten a battery operated 4 watt UV disinfecting light and attached it to the Discovery. The new QQ2 is the same base model with a few extra features such as returning to the homebase so unless they have signifigantly changed the motors and cleaning algorithms I would not purchase one. If you do decide to get it please write a review so we can read about your impressions.
Needs rachet up up up never down down down
antimatter

Postby THX-1138 » April 3rd, 2007, 6:53 pm

Welcome to RoombaReview.com antimatter :D,

I have a QQ2 for an upcoming review. I had reviewed the QQ1 and if you wish to see it just click on the "READ REVIEWS" option on top of this screen.
THX-1138
Robot Master

Review CleanMate QQ2

Postby secnarf » November 7th, 2007, 10:14 pm

Nobody has a review of it qq2?

I have well-read much on this vacuum cleanner, so much well as villain, and i am afraid to being wrong in the purchase.

A greeting.
secnarf

Re: Review CleanMate QQ2

Postby geekgranny » November 8th, 2007, 1:41 am

secnarf wrote:Nobody has a review of it qq2?

I have well-read much on this vacuum cleanner, so much well as villain, and i am afraid to being wrong in the purchase.

A greeting.

I have a QQ-2. From what I understand there are very few differences in the QQ-1 and QQ-2 versions. Their cleaning function is probably very similar too.

My QQ-2 chokes on the smallest amount of dog hair. After the hair mixed with some small debris starts blocking the intake QQ-2 loses it's effectiveness.

I do like how quiet it is and the UV function does work on odors, like boys bathroom, that is usually more smelly than a girls. But for me the QQ-2 is pretty useless because of pet hair.

QQ-2 is advertised to run on "low pile carpet". I don't have much of that so I could not test it on carpet. On my denser carpet QQ-2 can hardly propel forward. When it did move a small distance before stopping, due to the carpet drag, it did collect some fine debris in its dust bin.

If you have a lot of hard, relatively smooth, floors or very, very low pile carpet and no pets the QQ-2 may work well for you.

It does have a fun design and the blinking lights on the side give it "personality".

gg=alice
Bunch 4xx's(2002 on), 2-530, 2-535, 2-550, 1-570, 1-536, 7 Scoobas, 9 Dirtdogs, QQ-2, 3 Trilobites, 3 Pool Cleaners (vac/pressure/robot), SolarBreeze Pool Skimmer ver. 2 beta, SpotBot, CREATE, ROVIO, FURMANATORS = 1 MASTIFF, 2 LABRADOODLES
geekgranny
Robot Granny

Return to Robotic Reviews