HELP please .... SCOOBA "check tank" issue

The very latest news and updates for the iRobot Roomba robotic vacuum, the Scooba Robotic Washer and the Dirt Dog workshop sweeper. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

HELP please .... SCOOBA "check tank" issue

Postby SusanPascalli_SCOOBAOwner » February 1st, 2007, 9:55 am

Ok, it keeps beeping telling me "check tank". The tank is fine. I have been troubleshooting for 2 days.

To thicken the plot ..... it ran for about 15 minutes in the vacuum mode then died saying "check tank". I opened the tank, looked at the water level, closed the tank, hit "clean" then it ran for like another 10 minutes and died with the same error! Now I can't get it to run agaian.

GRRRRRRRRRRR
Any help would be MUCH MUCH apprecited after this 300 purchase. :S

Thank you!
SusanPascalli_SCOOBAOwner

Re: HELP please .... SCOOBA "check tank" issue

Postby jubrand » February 1st, 2007, 10:54 am

SusanPascalli_SCOOBAOwner wrote:Ok, it keeps beeping telling me "check tank". The tank is fine. I have been troubleshooting for 2 days.

To thicken the plot ..... it ran for about 15 minutes in the vacuum mode then died saying "check tank". I opened the tank, looked at the water level, closed the tank, hit "clean" then it ran for like another 10 minutes and died with the same error! Now I can't get it to run agaian.

GRRRRRRRRRRR
Any help would be MUCH MUCH apprecited after this 300 purchase. :S

Thank you!

Same error for me. Fresh out of the box this morning and I'm getting "check tank" on a 5800. I've done everything the manual says, but it won't run at all.
jubrand

Postby czunit » February 1st, 2007, 12:37 pm

Did you both try priming the pump with either a turkey baster or a straw?

This fixes the problem.

Chris
Yes, I have blown up batteries. :-)
czunit
Robot Addict

Postby jubrand » February 1st, 2007, 12:50 pm

czunit wrote:Did you both try priming the pump with either a turkey baster or a straw?

This fixes the problem.

Chris

I didn't yet. I actually came here before just going to the irobot site (my knee-jerk reaction these days with tech problems is to go to forums instead of to the company...it's usually correct) and when I went there, that was the first trouble shooting top that came up.

Hopefully that will fix it. Thanks for your reply as well!
jubrand

Scooba blue tank light

Postby pelmay » February 3rd, 2007, 10:35 am

I love this machine. I do wish it were a bit more reliable but maybe as I learn it better things will improve.

so far I've had my Scooba 5900 since early January and had two issues which after reading this forum and some of my own troubleshooting, I was able to fix:

similar to yours: [b] blue check tank light [/b]came on even though cleaning solution tank full of the requisite Scooba solution mixed as demanded in the literature. my issue appeared to be the sensor near the "eject brush" button. I had to "fake it out" to get it running: first I filled the clean tank with the Scooba solution as demanded plus warm water. Then I took a q tip which I dipped in the pure Scooba solution and touched it to the sensor and into the sensor receptacle in the tank. It started running; however, it took about 5 minutes before the jets began to eject cleaning solution.

the other issue I had was the [b]vacuum quit running [/b]giving an error 1. I tried everything in both this forum and in the literature. What finally worked is removal of the vacuum port, using a flashlight to peer into the cavity where I could see the fan blades. they were stuck (probably debris). I used a wooden shish-kebab stick to free the fan. AFter that it worked fine.

I will continue to post as I encounter further issues. hope this helps; let me know if it does

pelmay in Houston, Texas
pelmay
pelmay

Re: Scooba blue tank light

Postby czunit » February 3rd, 2007, 11:30 am

pelmay wrote:the other issue I had was the vacuum quit running giving an error 1. I tried everything in both this forum and in the literature. What finally worked is removal of the vacuum port, using a flashlight to peer into the cavity where I could see the fan blades. they were stuck (probably debris). I used a wooden shish-kebab stick to free the fan. AFter that it worked fine.

Interesting. My scooba is a month old and is already starting to get "rubble" on the fan. I noticed that my mesh filter has some little open spots around the edges; perhaps gunk is getting in that way. I think I will caulk up the sides today and see what happens.

Chris
czunit
Robot Addict

Check Tank Error

Postby How@qidesign.ca » February 4th, 2007, 11:29 pm

czunit wrote:Did you both try priming the pump with either a turkey baster or a straw?

This fixes the problem.

Chris

Same problem...brand new out of the box. Primed the pump. Ran the diagnostics and ran step 13 and 14 so the pumps were pumping fine.

Still getting the yellow Check Tank error.

Sure could use some help trying to figure this out.
How@qidesign.ca

Re: Check Tank Error

Postby Gordon » February 5th, 2007, 3:18 am

How@qidesign.ca wrote:...Still getting the yellow Check Tank error. ...
Read the Owner's Manual. It will tell you Scooba 'thinks' its Tank is not properly installed, or its mesh-filter is not properly installed, or there is something conductive in the Dirty chamber of the Tank (which Scooba translates as 'Tank Full').

The first two faults should be easily verified by visual inspection. As part of checking their presence and proper fit-up to the robot's chassis, you should also make sure there is a pellet shaped magnet at the font edge of the Tank, and underneath the filter's frame.

Without permanent magnets in place, the sensors won't tell a true story.

Troubleshooting the cause of a Full-Tank indication may be a bit more of a problem--depending on how well your electronics workbench is populated with test equipment! Assuming you have an ohmmeter of some sort, connect it across the bi-pin connector rods (which project out the Tank bottom. There should be no measurable resistance across those pins.

If you read some value, about all you may do in an attempt to correct the fault is to rinse the bejeesus out of the Dirty chamber (of course, you could try that before faffing around with the meter!).

If the error light does not stay off, given all that attention, you will probably have to exchange something; either the whole shebang, or at least the Tank. A word of warning: Do not mention having run Scooba's built-in tests. To do so, puts its warranty at risk.

You might try running Scooba without its Tank--for a few seconds--just to see if it will start traveling without the yellow error. To do that, tape a strong, but small, bar-magnet--axis horizontal--right under the thumb shown in the RH image of the picture,
then make sure you fill the inlet-lance with diluted solution, via your baster syringe.

If you can decide the ailment is within the Tank, and don't want to mess with exchanging anything, you may by a new Tank from iRbt, for not too many bucks.

Good luck with it!
---Gordon
See Chat-Sticky "READ FIRST" then ask a Q.
Gordon
Robot Master

Very Dissapointed

Postby Gordy » February 5th, 2007, 9:54 am

My new 5800 had the same issues. I came here Saturday and read the FAQ section regarding the 'Check Tank' issue, and that cleared and it started running.

Next issue: no solution coming out. I was on the phone with iRobot for about 30 minutes to no avail. I couldn't get air through that dang pump to save my life.

I'm now waiting for them to send me a prepaid UPS shipping label.

I had high hopes for this thing. Oh well.
Roomba Discovery
Gordy

Re: Very Dissapointed

Postby czunit » February 5th, 2007, 10:57 am

Gordy wrote:My new 5800 had the same issues. I came here Saturday and read the FAQ section regarding the 'Check Tank' issue, and that cleared and it started running.

Next issue: no solution coming out. I was on the phone with iRobot for about 30 minutes to no avail. I couldn't get air through that dang pump to save my life.

I'm now waiting for them to send me a prepaid UPS shipping label.

I had high hopes for this thing. Oh well.

Air? Have you tried the turkey baster trick?

Chris
czunit
Robot Addict

Postby Gordy » February 5th, 2007, 12:47 pm

Yes. The iRobot guy said try air after I was not able to get water through the damned pump. No go.
Roomba Discovery
Gordy

Postby daletabu » February 6th, 2007, 10:40 pm

I had an issue with "check tank" and with the F whatever that refers to the the main wheel. Come to find out after my husband played detective, what was wrong was the wheel on one side the screw had come loose and was causing a problem. Once he tightened the screw for the wheel down we never had the error message again. Might not be your issue, but give it a look the error message is not necesarily correct but something is "screwing" it up. :D
daletabu

Postby Gordon » February 7th, 2007, 4:37 pm

daletabu wrote:I had an issue with "check tank" and with the F whatever that refers to the the main wheel.
It is clear, so far, that you are talking about a *Scooba*; and *that* is good, because Scooba is the subject of this thread! However, when you say the following:
...my husband played detective, what was wrong was the wheel on one side the screw had come loose and was causing a problem. Once he tightened the screw for the wheel down we never had the error message again...
You must be referring to a Roomba-Discovery, because there is no "screw", AFAIK, any where near Scooba's Front Wheel, that could be tightened to overcome an "F"-error.
Would you care to elaborate?
Gordon
Robot Master

Postby pattie » February 28th, 2007, 6:05 pm

So mine is saying check tank with the red light on power and the yellow check tank, it runs for few seconds, gets the floor all wet in puddle form, then quits with the defeat song. I have blown, with the pen and baster, but since I have water flow, I don't think that is my issue. I know it isn't the tank, becuase I had a brand new one and this is happening with either of them. I tried the touching the sensor with strait solution...I have been messing with this thing all day.

Any new suggestions, or just take it back...I paid for the 3 year warranty and have already taken one back and gotten a new tank...I would rather just learn what the heck to do to fix it.

Thanks in advance for any help
pattie

Postby Gordon » February 28th, 2007, 6:37 pm

pattie wrote:So mine is saying check tank with the red light on power and the yellow check tank, it runs for few seconds, gets the floor all wet in puddle form, then quits with the defeat song.
I would have to depend on what the Owner's Manual (p.18) says about that. The red Power button says Scooba's battery is not charged. How long have you had / been charging that battery?
The yellow ChkTnk light pertains to full-DT indication, and / or screen-filter or Tank-latched sensors being upset. However, if the battery is ailing, and unable to operate Scooba for more than a few seconds, I would not trust the yellow error.
... I tried the touching the sensor with strait solution...
I wonder what it was that you were touching(?) No one is able to 'touch' a sensor that is associated with monitoring cleaning solution--clean or dirty.
Which Scooba are you talking about--5800 or 5900?
---Gordon
See Chat-Sticky "READ FIRST" then ask a Q.
Gordon
Robot Master

Postby pattie » February 28th, 2007, 6:46 pm

the sensor that someone else said about faking it out, by the eject bruches, which I beleive is the same pump thing?? I am not a technical person and never in a million years would have come up with any of your suggestions....I had the battery fully charged...how would I test that short of a new battery, I put it back on the charger and it only takes a bit for the light to stop flashing? So I didn't think that was it....also I have had my Scooba for going on a year now.
pattie

Postby Gordon » February 28th, 2007, 8:07 pm

pattie wrote:the sensor that someone else said about faking it out, by the eject bruches, which I beleive is the same pump thing??
I expect it is this thingy you refer to:
That is the solution inlet lance (to the pump). There is no sensor in that protruding portion, nor does the metal spring-like item connect to the nearby sensor. While it is not a bad idea to lubricate that lance with solution, it won't help solve the current issue--you already have plenty of solution getting on the floor.
I am not a technical person...I had the battery fully charged...how would I test that short of a new battery, I put it back on the charger and it only takes a bit for the light to stop flashing?
That is too bad, because a bit of technical expertise is required to carry out the following load-test on your battery (this insert was written for a Roomba battery, but the same process works on Scooba's):
GP- wrote:Regarding testing the battery, what I like to do is connect one or both
filaments of an old automotive tail-lamp (#1157 [pre-LED tail lights])
across the plus and minus battery terminals, and then measure terminal
voltage.

Even if one lacks the voltmeter, a good indication of capability can be
had by visually monitoring the lamp's brightness over a period of time.

Using that approach, your hassle would be to obtain a lamp from an
auto-parts store; and possibly obtain a pigtailed socket to save
soldering leads onto the lamp's base contacts. The auto store might also
have some "alligator-clips" that use a binding-head screw to connect
stripped wire ends to the clips. Do that work and you are close to
making a connection to the battery!

You should not probe the battery's contacts directly with the load
(lamp), since to do so would cause arcing at the terminals that might
disrupt proper contact of the those terminals with Roomba's contacts at
a later time. Instead, what I do is to insert into the battery's
terminals some intermediate "contacts', and generally those are simply a
pair of bare solder-lugs, of proper thickness, to let the battery get a
good grip on them. Then I clip the load onto those lugs. Instead of
lugs, you could use the ubiquitous wire-form paper clip (not the
smallest size, nor largest, but most popular) which will fit the
terminal with about the same insertion force as does Roomba's own
blade-contacts. Whatever method one selects, great caution should be
exercised to not let the two temporary connection-hardware lash-ups
contact each other.

When powered, the tail-lamp will be very bright--too bright to even look
at. It will also get very hot, so it must be kept away from materials
which heat could scorch or ignite; and a light-shield should be placed
between the lamp and observer.

As I recall, when both filaments (brake-light and running light) are
connected in parallel the current draw is roughly equivalent to running
Roomba on deep (but manageable) ww-carpet. If only the brake-light side
is used as the load, that more represents running Roomba on hard
surfaces.

If the illumination level maintains for as long as you think Roomba
should operate in your cleaning environment, then the battery is
probably a good one!
Perhaps you can get a friendly, and electrically oriented, person to help you with that test.
So I didn't think that was it....also I have had my Scooba for going on a year now.
If you have been leaving the battery on trickle-charge, as originally recommended by iRobot, it has probably suffered an early death. Surely you have read some of the many RR posts on this over-charging topic(?)!
Gordon
Robot Master

Postby pattie » February 28th, 2007, 8:40 pm

No, I never read anything about the over charge issue, heavy sigh, it says it is fully charged again now :-) however, no I would not know how to check against a car lamp, but I have friends that may be able to help me with that, I will take it to work and ask someone in the Lab to check it. If that is the case, is there a way to uncharge it or is it garbage....sorry to sound so stupid. And I appreciate your patience

Pattie
pattie

Postby Gordon » February 28th, 2007, 9:43 pm

pattie wrote:No, I never read anything about the over charge issue, ...
You would be wise to do so.
it says it is fully charged again now :-)
And I feel comfortable agreeing that it *is* charged to the extent possible. Other than charging the battery, all the charging system can do is detect when to quit charging. It is not designed to do any testing that demonstrates how *capable* the battery might be at the moment charging concludes.
If any one, or more cells in the pack of 12 cells has gotten degraded--for whatever reason--those weak cells will fully charge in less time than healthy cells, then quickly give up what little charge they contained, when put to work. Meanwhile, the other 11, 10, 9, whatever # of healthy cells there are, still contain plenty of charge, but Roomba/Scooba rejects the whole lot because the sum of their voltages is no longer high enough to satisfy the robot!
... , I will take it to work and ask someone in the Lab to check it.
Good idea. Tell them this 14.4 volt battery ought to provide current between one to two amperes for an hour or two, before terminal voltage falls to 12Vdc. The tech will want to know that the voltage terminals are the pair at the LH side of this picture:
The pair at the RHS are the temperature sensor contacts.
If that is the case, is there a way to uncharge it or is it garbage...
If it fails the test, it is 'garbage'--although, some list-member might like to have the battery-case; rather than put it in the land-fill.
Gordon
Robot Master

Postby pattie » February 28th, 2007, 9:59 pm

I am taking this whole link with me to work, and hopefully there is a resolution. Thank you for going above and beyond....Do your work for IRobot? You know it kinda makes me bummed that I tried to follow directions and they were the opposite of what is correct....but...so is life eh? Rhetorical question...no response necessary, and for the record...I do love the Scooba and I am usually very leary of buying new technology, but I figured the risk was worth it...and I realize we live in the "hit the button and let it work" world and I understand that without people like you the rest of us would be sorely disappointed :-) thank you soooo much
pattie

Next

Return to iRobot Roomba and Scooba Chat