Help Roomba Discovery indicating wheel Drop Switch failure

The very latest news and updates for the iRobot Roomba robotic vacuum, the Scooba Robotic Washer and the Dirt Dog workshop sweeper. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Help Roomba Discovery indicating wheel Drop Switch failure

Postby DjScibbity » May 7th, 2007, 1:38 pm

Hello. Im looking for some help. I have a Roomba Discovery (out of warranty) and recently have been having problems with it. It starts, goes forward, then reverse, then turns, then shuts off. It does an "Uhh-Ohh" then pauses, then does another "Uhh-ohh". I ran the diagnostic modes and found out that the right wheel drop switch/sensor is faulty. When the wheel is all the way up, the sensor is not indicating this, however if I drop the wheel just slightly, it gives an OK reading...Dropping the wheel further again results in the switch indicating that the wheel is dropped. So, Im looking for any advice. I searched high and low for similar problems on the board and have not found anything about faulty wheel drop switches. Is there a replacement part for this? How easy is it to get to this switch? Can I disable this switch somehow? Any recommendations. Thanks

-JP
DjScibbity

Postby ProTech Robotics » May 7th, 2007, 2:04 pm

DjScibbity,
While I have not seen many up switch failures it is a simple gate switch and the contacts can get dirty and fail. You can find a replacement wheel up sensor available from my ebay store, simply CLICK HERE.
ProTech Robotics
Robot Addict

Postby vic7767 » May 7th, 2007, 9:44 pm

Since it is out of warranty, go the the beginning of this forum to the "READ THIS FIRST" sticky. Contained in there are links to help with taking your Roomba apart. The wheel drop sensor is just a small micro-switch that is located right next to the wheel motor. There is a small space that the switch must be located in and properly oriented in order to send the on/off indication. This switch can be dislodged since it is only held in place with a little silicone sealer. It may be an easy fix. If not RECON_SUPPLY_STORE has the parts you may require.
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/

http://www.Robot-Doc.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

Return to iRobot Roomba and Scooba Chat