Which Roomba for cat hair?

The very latest news and updates for the iRobot Roomba robotic vacuum, the Scooba Robotic Washer and the Dirt Dog workshop sweeper. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Which Roomba for cat hair?

Postby sunbeltsue » October 1st, 2007, 1:22 am

Currently I own/love Dirt Dog (April 2007) and the blue/grey Roomba Scheduler (March 2007).

I want to give my adult children--both of whom have cats--a Roomba for Christmas. Since the Roomba for pets is discontinued, which Roomba below is a better value and /or easier on my wallet:

o The new 535 reviewed by MadScientist on Sept 25? I think I saw it online for around $213 or $249.
or
o The Blue/greay Roomba Scheduler being closed out for $180?

o
sunbeltsue

Postby Fraggboy » October 1st, 2007, 9:24 am

sunbeltsue, Welcome to Roombareview!! :D

If you go with the Blue/grey Scheduler, I'm afraid that if you will require warranty work, iRobot might give you the run-a-round. Why I say this, is that I don't know how long they will carry parts for the older Roomba's.

The newer 5xx series are doing pretty good so far. There has been a few issues regarding the bumping into the furniture with narrow legs, etc, and the brush noise, which iRobot is sending out a replacement.

Even though the 5xx series Roomba's don't have a pet upgrade kit, the regular brushes do a pretty good job. It's not like they won't pick up cat hair. I have a medium hair length cat, which sheds something fierce. My Roomba with the stock brushes picks up the cat hair, litter, etc easily. I don't see any streaks of cat hair left behind that the Roomba couldn't pick up.

I would suggest purchasing either the 535, or the 560 for your children. I have reviewed the 560 which you can view it here. With the 560, you can schedule the Roomba on-board which I'm sure your children would love, and it comes with an additional Lighthouse. The 535 comes with one, and the 560 has 2.

If you purchase the 535, and your children would want to schedule them, they would have to purchase the Wireless Command Center to accomplish this. It's not expensive, but they would have to get it to schedule.

Hope this helps. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask away!
Chris

:confusion-shrug:
Website Question? Check out the FAQ section.
Roomba/Scooba Question? Check out the READ FIRST section.
:text-search:
Before posting, check out the improved Search engine. Your question might have been answered already.
Fraggboy
Robot Master

Postby geekgranny » October 1st, 2007, 9:04 pm

Well, of course I'm biased. :lol:

I have two 535s with a 570 from HS on its way. I am sold on the 5xx version and only using the Sage for Pets I have because they are new and I have two year extended protection plan from HSN. They will probably not last 3 years so I figure they will eventually be replaced by 5xx's from HSN. AND I really shouldn't afford, right now, to replace them all. :cry:

The older versions do a great job but for those of us who have extreme environments, i.e., continuous production of vast amounts of hair and dust in large areas, the 5xx version is just so much easier and faster to clean. I, personally, think they clean better too. Some people don't need or want the scheduling function. I prefer to turn them on manually for the most extreme part of my house but do like the scheduling for less used areas. (I don't have to clean the 'bots, Sages for Pets, every single run in those areas.)

HSN deal is a great bargain. You only get one Lighthouse but I'm doing fine not using them, LHs, at all in the area, formally two large zones, that gets cleaned at least once a day, usually twice, by two 535s I turn on manually. They clean approximately 1200 sq ft of tile, roaming freely, and now that I know the "traps", consistently make it back to their home bases. I do use the old VWs to keep them from going into a room that Sage for Pets is scheduled to clean daily and from escaping out the back door or getting hung on the threshold.

I gave my DD a DirtDog and a Discovery. She is doing great with those and if I were getting her one now I would go with the 535 from HSN. She doesn't have any interest in the scheduling but your kids might.

When the 570 gets here I am going to experiment with it upstairs in a three and four room setup using the two LHs that come with it and the two I have from the two 535's. I may get really sold on the 550-570 versions, extra LH's for spaces broken up as rooms, and the scheduling. In a few weeks I might just say "Go with the 550 or up" but for now I can't advise that.

I will add that I love all my 'bots and the job they do. Some are good helpers; some are GREAT helpers.

Oh goodness, decisions, decisions......... :?

gg=alice
Last edited by geekgranny on October 3rd, 2007, 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bunch 4xx's(2002 on), 2-530, 2-535, 2-550, 1-570, 1-536, 7 Scoobas, 9 Dirtdogs, QQ-2, 3 Trilobites, 3 Pool Cleaners (vac/pressure/robot), SolarBreeze Pool Skimmer ver. 2 beta, SpotBot, CREATE, ROVIO, FURMANATORS = 1 MASTIFF, 2 LABRADOODLES
geekgranny
Robot Granny

Re: Which Roomba for cat hair?

Postby sunbeltsue » October 2nd, 2007, 2:08 pm

Sunbeltsue reply:

Fraggboy and Alice, :D
Thank you for your welcome and excellent information. Right now, I am leaning toward the 535.

We do not use the scheduling option on our Roomba Scheduler--I want want one of us home to "supervise" if Robby gets hung up on something.

A forum newbie, I probably am posting this in the wrong place.
Any directions or advice appreciated.
sunbeltsue

Re: Which Roomba for cat hair?

Postby geekgranny » October 2nd, 2007, 2:26 pm

sunbeltsue wrote:Thank you for your welcome and excellent information. Right now, I am leaning toward the 535.
We do not use the scheduling option on our Roomba Scheduler--I want want of us to "supervise" home if Robby gets hung up on something.

That is one of the main reasons many of us don't use the scheduling. And with the 5xx series being so much quieter you can run it right in the middle of household activities without having to stop conversations or turn up the TV/stereo/radio, etc. Another reason I like to go manual start up of 'bots, in main part of house, is I like to do a quick prescreen of floor to pick up anything that might hurt or hinder 'bots, including water, slingers, slimers, etc. Also, with so much debris/dust/hair in main area I'm more likely to clean them out often enough to keep them in prime working condition if I have to actually touch them. The 'bots that are scheduled can go a couple or three days before needing a clean out and don't often encounter the things 'bots do in main part of house.

sunbeltsue wrote:A forum newbie, I probably am posting this in the wrong place.

You are posting in exactly the right place. :D Don't worry anyway. This is a very kind, gentle, and patient forum structure with kind, gentle, and patient moderators and most usually kind, gentle, and patient members. Occasional "harsh" offenders do get scolded.

Have I mentioned how very QUIET the 5xx's are? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

gg=Alice
Bunch 4xx's(2002 on), 2-530, 2-535, 2-550, 1-570, 1-536, 7 Scoobas, 9 Dirtdogs, QQ-2, 3 Trilobites, 3 Pool Cleaners (vac/pressure/robot), SolarBreeze Pool Skimmer ver. 2 beta, SpotBot, CREATE, ROVIO, FURMANATORS = 1 MASTIFF, 2 LABRADOODLES
geekgranny
Robot Granny

Postby Fraggboy » October 2nd, 2007, 2:38 pm

Alice is 100% correct in how the 5xx Roomba's are so much quieter than the 4xxx ones! I still find that I enjoy running my robots while I'm at work. It's nice to come home to an already clean home, with vacuum lines in the carpet waiting to greet me!

Sunbeltsue, I'm glad that you came up with your decision on which model you want. Now, the next hard part. Having your children coming up with names for them. ;)

If you have any other questions, please ask away! We are here to help our community out the best way that we can! And at Christmas, let your children know where they can come if they have any questions regarding their new addition! :D
Chris

:confusion-shrug:
Website Question? Check out the FAQ section.
Roomba/Scooba Question? Check out the READ FIRST section.
:text-search:
Before posting, check out the improved Search engine. Your question might have been answered already.
Fraggboy
Robot Master

Return to iRobot Roomba and Scooba Chat