I Have Discovered Roomba's ULTIMATE Nemesis....

The very latest news and updates for the iRobot Roomba robotic vacuum, the Scooba Robotic Washer and the Dirt Dog workshop sweeper. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

I Have Discovered Roomba's ULTIMATE Nemesis....

Postby FizorZed » January 23rd, 2008, 7:35 pm

A WARNING TO ALL ROOMBA OWNERS:

So I woke up on a lazy Saturday morning last week to the gentile purring sound of our Roomba coming to life. Comforted that our dusty floor would be nice and clean for our eventual breakfast I drifted back into a light sleep. About 30 minutes later I woke up not because of a noise, but a lack of it. The Roomba has stopped. There was silence. I wasn't that concerned about it to be honest. Rarely does it get itself stuck but I haven't been as good at picking up random floor items so surely it got into trouble. No big deal. I rolled over once again and drifted into a light sleep again. About a half hour later it was time to get up and with my wife dozing next to me I slipped on my robe and went downstairs with my two dogs bouncing behind me.

The first thing I noticed was the smell. We have a 4 month old puppy who is largely house trained but every now and then has an accident. And I smelled it. Poop. But as I looked into the dining room (his usual spot) I saw nothing.

Then, in horror, I realized why.

The Roomba had found it first. The poop, originally in a nice, tidy pile, had been hit head on by our small robotic friend. Roomba didn't notice anything out of the ordinary as it began to paint the floor in zig-zagging patterns of fresh, stinky, puppy poop. It went wall to wall. Under the couch, the chairs. The only saving grace was the lighthouse that kept it confined to one room, keeping our area rug in the living room untouched.

Eventaully our Roomba, choking and clogged with poop detected a problem and limped back to the dock until help arrived. As I got over the shock of the dried poop streaks covering our room I recieved a fresh wave of revulsion as I picked up the little Bot and flipped him over. The destruction was complete. Doggy poop permiated every crack and crevas of the poor Roomba. I give the little guy credit in trying. The dust bin was also filled but even advanced robot technology couldn't withstand natures oldest byproduct.

Suffice to say we spent a large part of the morning cleaning. My wife with a mop, and me (rubber gloves up to my elbows) with the Roomba. I felt like a surgeon trying to save a car accident victim.

I want to give huge props to the engineers of Roomba who made a truly modular robot. So much so that I was able to disassemble the little guy completely and clean each part. If I had not been able to do that I fear it would have been a total loss.

It was a happy ending I am glad to say. Roomba dried out and whirred to life later that afternoon. And our puppy (though not completely accident free) has managed to avoid laying a mine just before cleaning time.

I've attached picts of the carnage for those of you who desperately need a visual. Though I will say it doesn't manage to capture the full devastation.
Attachments
IMG_9482.jpg
IMG_9482.jpg (161.7 KiB) Viewed 13696 times
IMG_9484.jpg
IMG_9484.jpg (138.18 KiB) Viewed 13696 times
IMG_9485.jpg
IMG_9485.jpg (131.43 KiB) Viewed 13696 times
IMG_9486.jpg
IMG_9486.jpg (101.98 KiB) Viewed 13696 times
FizorZed

Postby youbrokemytaco » January 23rd, 2008, 8:18 pm

I feel so sorry for you. Did you need nose pegs?

How far away is the puppy from being house trained?
youbrokemytaco
Robot Addict

Postby vic7767 » January 23rd, 2008, 8:54 pm

And you are gonna cut back on the amount of food and switch to dry right ?
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby MTtummy385 » January 23rd, 2008, 9:25 pm

Wow... That is incredible. Poor Roomba! At least it didnt travel onto carpet! :-)
MTtummy385
Robot Addict

Postby Dogster » January 23rd, 2008, 10:26 pm

hee hee hee-- I mean, I'm terribly sorry!
Dogster
Robot Groupie

Postby robodude » January 23rd, 2008, 10:49 pm

Eww!
Authorized robotic lawn mower dealer & service - (http://www.RobomowUSA.com & http://www.LawnBotts.com)
Robomow RS630, LawnBott LB3210, Roomba 560 - un-named, 610 and Mint 5200
robodude
Robot Addict

Postby _JP_ » January 24th, 2008, 12:30 am

Puppy to the other dog: "Direct hit! I have succeeded in my mission to neutralize that robot menace that kept waking us up in the morning."

That's almost as bad as the night that I returned from the Christmas holidays. While I was unloading the motorhome, I managed to step into a present that some dog had left on my sidewalk. It was dark, so I didn't see it. I didn't notice that a wheel of the suitcase had rolled through it as well.

I did notice when I returned to the motorhome, a whiff was all I needed. Then I saw it on the carpet. When I returned to my front door I left eh shoes outside and put on some other shoes.

And unknowingly stepped in it again! :oops:

The end result was two pairs of shoes, one suitcase wheel, the motorhome carpet, and 4 rooms in the house needed cleaning. :cry:
_JP_
Robot Addict

Postby sgroomba » January 24th, 2008, 2:08 am

Thank goodness web forums don't have smell-o-vision. Gross.
sgroomba
Robot Addict

Postby Duf » January 24th, 2008, 9:51 am

That is a 10 on the disgusto-meter!! Grats.
Roomba 535(former owner), 2 Roomba Discovery, 1 Dirt Dog, 1 Scooba 380, Hayward Pool Vacuum, Littermaid Automatic Litterbox, HD Tivo, DT Tivo, Spotbot
Duf
Robot Addict

Postby irongrrl » January 24th, 2008, 12:42 pm

No offense or anything... but your post really had me laughing! :lol:

Of course, if it was me... I wouldn't be laughing & I'm sorry you had to go through this. But it's gotta be the Roomba story of the year!

Oh, and I agree. The easy to access modular parts are a godsend.
irongrrl

Postby Mogul345 » January 24th, 2008, 9:19 pm

Be glad you've got the 5xx. That modular design I'm sure makes the job manageable.

Same thing happened to me. We left the dogs out instead of putting them in their kennels and one dropped a load on the carpet. It also got dragged, but across my main room's carpet.

My Discovery did a fairly good job of jumping on the grenade, but the carpet needed shampooed. And it looked so bad to me, I just bought two more when they came up on Woot for $99 bucks a piece in November. I'll probably clean it out someday, but right now it's out in cold storage in the garage.
Mogul345

Postby wsngmartin » January 24th, 2008, 10:58 pm

I would love to have a bot that cleans my dogs' doo (doo dog vs dirt dog?) but i'm thinking this ain't it....
Wendy
Keeper of Leia(535),Yoda (sage)&Om Yoda (Resusci-sage),Qui Gon&Mace Windu(pets ),Luke&Anakin (white refurbo-schedulers),ObiWan (DD),R2&D2 (blue schedulers),Jacob Marley(resusci-pet), TinyTim(sage), Merry&Pippin(blue schedulers), sonny&a few others
wsngmartin
Robot Addict

Postby tym » January 24th, 2008, 11:43 pm

Wow...after something like that, I probably would have declared my Roomba a casualty of war. :shock: :lol:
tym

Re: I Have Discovered Roomba's ULTIMATE Nemesis....

Postby beerorkid » October 18th, 2010, 12:32 pm

I was afraid this would happen someday.

It had been about a month since my dog had messed in the house. The wife noticed it right away and stopped the roomba. It smeared po for about 5 feet while doing an edge clean. Nothing got into the brushes, but both wheels were crammed with poo. I let it dry before cleaning it figuring it would flake off easier. It is now working on my basement arcade for a few days to shake loose any little bits that are still in the treads.

The bissell carpet cleaner was a very worthwhile investment ;)

beerorkid

Postby mfortuna » October 18th, 2010, 12:49 pm

I don't schedule my roombas because of dog toy and cat barf encounters!
Mike
Reds x 3, Dirt Dog, Disco (now a parts bot), Create, Scooba 350, and Security Dawg
Evolution Mint
Neato XV-11
Shark Ion 750
mfortuna
Robot Master

Postby sageman » October 18th, 2010, 1:22 pm

i wonder how many roombas have been thrown away cause of this
400/disco disassembly's (everything down to the PCB)
http://www.robotreviews.com/wiki/400disco-disassembly

one day many years from now a person will say "right I'll just ROOMBA downstairs" instead of hoover
oh wait I already do :)

main bot: neato xv-15 (Europe xv-11)
to sell (one day): roomba sage and silver (both 400's)
sageman
Robot Addict

Postby holmes4 » October 18th, 2010, 5:03 pm

I'm astonished that my Roomba hasn't encountered cat barf yet.
Steve
holmes4
Robot Addict

Return to iRobot Roomba and Scooba Chat