New roomba 530 spinning in circles beeping 11 times

The very latest news and updates for the iRobot Roomba robotic vacuum, the Scooba Robotic Washer and the Dirt Dog workshop sweeper. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

New roomba 530 spinning in circles beeping 11 times

Postby MistyK » April 1st, 2008, 9:29 am

I think this has happened to some other people, randomly. I think the wheels need cleaning, but I haven't been able to figure out how to do so. Yikes!
MistyK

Postby vic7767 » April 1st, 2008, 10:35 am

Sometimes the 5XX models will do the 11 beep error if it is cleaning a very large room. It is similar to the 10 beep error on the 4th generation Roomba. Another condition that may cause the 11 beeps is if the front wheel has become full of debris.
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/

http://www.Robot-Doc.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

problem

Postby MistyK » April 1st, 2008, 10:40 am

I think it's beeping because it thinks it's in a large room and not hitting any barriers, but the reality is that it's not hitting anything because it's spinning in circles. One of the wheels seems more difficult to turn than the other. I really don't want to void my warranty by opening it (not to mention the hassle--and I'm a girl, remember) but I'll do it and take the wheel out to clean it or whatever if I HAVE to . . . :wink: so . . . is this a typical problem that there's a fix for, or should I just exchange it at Kohl's--and in that case, is it likely to happen again, and is there anything I can do to avoid it???
MistyK

Re: problem

Postby will381796 » April 1st, 2008, 11:55 am

You could call iRobot and talk to their customer support reps. It should have a 1 year warranty. Just keep your receipt from Kohls as a proof of purchase. If they tell you to open it up to check if something is broken, then it won't void your warranty as you're doing it under their direction.
will381796

Postby fancyfreewv » April 1st, 2008, 12:34 pm

Misty, opening it up and removing modules that are considered by Irobot to be "user serviceable" is not going to void the warranty.

That's why they made it modular. They intend for you to be able to remove and replace a module in the future if they send you one for something defective.

All it takes is two different size Phillips screwdrivers (the cross end type) to take the thing apart and you will find you need to do this periodically to keep it clean and running right.

Videos are on Irobot's website as to which modules they want you to mess with and we have a cleaning step by step here:

www.robotreviews.com/wiki/cleaning

Oh, yes, and being a woman has nothing to do with it. :lol:
Nancy - Mom to 3 Furbabies - Bentley, Chelsea, Whiskey & 3 Roombas - 535 (Half Trax) and 560 (Shadow) and Dirt Dog (Old Yellow)
fancyfreewv
Robot Addict

Postby pogo » April 3rd, 2008, 2:24 pm

this same thing happened to my new 535 (spinning in circles, one wheel much harder to turn by hand than the other one), but it wasn't beeping. I took the "stuck" wheel apart and found no dirt or dust whatsoever. Taking the wheel apart is not a very easy thing to do because there is a strong spring you have to deal with. Anyway, dirt was not the problem. I ended up clearing up the problem by resetting the romba several times and trying to restart it. This has happened to me twice and resetting/restarting cleared it up both times. One time I remember it did take multiple reset/restart cycles to fix the problem.

Can someone confirm how to reset the 530 models? I have it written down at home, but I'm at work now. I think you do it by pressing and holding spot and dock buttons at the same time until the reset tune plays (about 10 seconds I think). Can someone confirm. Thanks!
pogo

Postby vic7767 » April 3rd, 2008, 2:53 pm

Yes, using the spot and dock button is one way to reset the Roomba. Another is to remove the battery and press the Start button for 10 seconds. Either method seems to work. There is a third method but it involves sending the command "7" using the SCI port.

vic7767
Robot Master

Postby Gordon » April 3rd, 2008, 3:55 pm

pogo wrote:..., one wheel much harder to turn by hand than the other one),... I took the "stuck" wheel apart and found no dirt or dust whatsoever. ..., dirt was not the problem. I ended up clearing up the problem by resetting the romba several times and trying to restart it. ...
I am curious about how an electronic reset can overcome an apparent mechanical problem "much harder to turn by hand than the other one" wheel. Probably a vic7767 question!
Gordon
Robot Master

Postby vic7767 » April 3rd, 2008, 5:19 pm

Gordon wrote:I am curious about how an electronic reset can overcome an apparent mechanical problem "much harder to turn by hand than the other one" wheel. Probably a vic7767 question!

Exactly my question. If when the wheel assembly is mechanically and electrically removed from the Roomba case, does the same amount of resistance occur or is there now no resistance other than what one would expect.

My 535 has not demonstrated this failure so I have no way to test and evaluate.

We need a volunteer to perform this test on a failing 5XX model.

vic7767
Robot Master

Postby chico560 » April 8th, 2008, 2:21 am

Hi, my Roomba 560 has the same problem ie right wheel has more resistance than left wheel. It can only move in circles before "11 beeps" error. I've tried resetting the Roomba 560 many times, but it didn't work. It is weird that the right wheel had normal resistance once I took it out of the Roomba 560. I tried to use the 560's right wheel in my Roomba 570, and the Roomba 570 acted normal. On the other hand, my Roomba 570's right wheel which acts normal in Roomba 570 itself, will have more resistance if I put it in Roomba 560. BTW iRobot will not help me because I bought the 560 on eBay.
chico560

Postby nickbrown60 » November 18th, 2008, 4:10 pm

Hi!
I had the very same problem, stiff wheel and the beeps on my 530,
I took the wheel module out and spun it back and forth as quick as I can and it free'd itself:)
My roomba is back! wooo 8)

Hope this helps:) :shock:
nickbrown60

Postby Morgan » November 18th, 2008, 7:39 pm

I had a similar problem after I took the wheel out of my 530 with the thought that I would clean it out and grease it up. When I put it back together, there was a lot of resistance when the wheel was fully depressed.

It turned out that I had put it together so that the wires were in contact with a rotating part of the motor - I don't know what it is, or what its function could possibly be, but it is on a shaft that sticks out the back end of the motor and it looks like a rotary tool cut-off disc.

I also freed it by turning it by hand, at which point the "cut-off disc" acted like an actual cut-off disc and cut the wires. After a few curse words and some fiddly work with electrical tape I got them back together, made sure to put the wires back where they belong, and there hasn't been a problem with it since.

I mention it because I wonder if stiff wheels could be a result of factory-direct misplacement of those wires, and the "cure by reset" a result of chance (wires coming back into contact as a result of fiddling around with the bot) plus slightly different procedures in checking for resistance.

Or is misplacing the wires something only I could do?
Why doesn't the Looj get the love it deserves?
Morgan
Robot Groupie

Return to iRobot Roomba and Scooba Chat