Roomba speed.

The very latest news and updates for the iRobot Roomba robotic vacuum, the Scooba Robotic Washer and the Dirt Dog workshop sweeper. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Roomba speed.

Postby igors48 » May 5th, 2008, 4:51 am

I have Roomba 550. I see that robot have two moving speed - high and low. I have some question about it.

1. How does Roomba choose its speed?
2. Why is my Roomba moving slowly even if no obstacles are in proximity?

Thanks in advance. And sorry my English.
Roomba550 & Scooba340. !!!Sorry my English!!!
igors48
Robot Groupie

Re: Roomba speed.

Postby tum » May 5th, 2008, 6:50 am

igors48 wrote:I have Roomba 550. I see that robot have two moving speed - high and low. I have some question about it.

1. How does Roomba choose its speed?
2. Why is my Roomba moving slowly even if no obstacles are in proximity?

Thanks in advance. And sorry my English.

The roomba has sensors on the bumper bar (IR sensors I believe). It slows down when detects an obstacle infront of it.

I find that the roomba sometimes has problems slowing down (especially if the obstacle is low to the ground like my speaker stands (~4 cm).

If the roomba is moving around slowly even if there are no obstacles then you might have dirty/dusty sensors that need to be cleaned. The semi-transparent bumper front might also be too scratched so might need to be polished.
tum

Postby igors48 » May 5th, 2008, 7:12 am

Thanks for answer. How can I polish the scratched bumber?
igors48
Robot Groupie

Postby tum » May 5th, 2008, 7:21 am

igors48 wrote:Thanks for answer. How can I polish the scratched bumber?

Hi :)

I've protected my bumper with 3M Scotchgard so it never gets a single scratch that doesn't self-heal. Because of this, I've never needed to polish any scratches out and my roomba still looks brand new!

I imagine any plastic polisher would work (auto stores will have some) but I'd be careful to test it out on a small spot first to make sure it doesn't discolor or otherwise damage the plastic. You should use masking tape to protect other parts of the roomba from asccidental polishing. Also, I'd only polish it after cleaning and other procedures in case it's not the scratches that are the primary cause. A non-robotic vacuum is the tool I usually use to clean my roomba!

See my thread on scratch protection: http://www.robotreviews.com/chat/viewtopic.php?t=9076
tum

Postby vic7767 » May 5th, 2008, 10:52 am

Even with many scratches the proximity sensors will work. What has happend to your Roomba is that the sensors are dirty. You will need to remove the 10 screws under the bumper, remove the bumper and clean out the IR sensors.
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/

http://www.Robot-Doc.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby igors48 » May 6th, 2008, 8:25 am

Thanks to everybody for replies!
igors48
Robot Groupie

Postby igors48 » May 8th, 2008, 4:59 am

vic7767 wrote:Even with many scratches the proximity sensors will work. What has happend to your Roomba is that the sensors are dirty. You will need to remove the 10 screws under the bumper, remove the bumper and clean out the IR sensors.

Vic!

Roomba is always on a high speed in case if IR sensors are dirty (blind Roomba), isn`t it?

I think the cause is semi-transparent glass. May be scratches. May be dirt on inner side.

All opinions appreciated.

I'm going to disassemble front bumper in the nearest 3 days and have a look at what's happenning with sensors and glass.

!!!!!!!

IRobot support is agree with you Vic.

http://homesupport.irobot.com/cgi-bin/i ... _topview=1

!!!!!!!

That`s interesting! I'm going to disassemble front bumper TODAY! :)
igors48
Robot Groupie

Postby igors48 » May 8th, 2008, 2:56 pm

I disassemble front bumper and clean everithing. Wondering about amount of a dust on inner side of the bumper. :(

Now my Roomba at top speed again!

Thanks for help!
igors48
Robot Groupie

Postby kamida » May 8th, 2008, 5:58 pm

I thought that you voided your warranty if the bumper is removed. Thoughts anyone? I want to remove my bumpers, but it is the one thing I thought truly "voids" the warranty, not that we would tell!
Patty
kamida

Postby vic7767 » May 8th, 2008, 6:12 pm

It boils down to a personal choice. It removing and cleaning the sensors gets your Roomba up and running and you know how then do it. If you want to contact IRobot and send your Roomba back and wait on another then you can also do that.

vic7767
Robot Master

Postby igors48 » May 9th, 2008, 12:08 am

kamida wrote:I thought that you voided your warranty if the bumper is removed. Thoughts anyone? I want to remove my bumpers, but it is the one thing I thought truly "voids" the warranty, not that we would tell!
Patty

I don`t beleive in warranty in my country. Look at my Location. Replacement may took so much time. Cleaning sensors take 20 minutes of my time. I prefer do it with my own hands. As can i see many owners of Roomba do it the same.
igors48
Robot Groupie

Postby VFM » May 9th, 2008, 5:11 pm

Hello,
I routinely clean my 550 with a hand vacuum cleaner and a small brush. These procedure takes few time and maintains sensors reasonably OK. Roomba seems happy and runs like a champ!

Ventura.
VFM

Postby igors48 » May 10th, 2008, 12:29 am

VFM wrote:Hello,
I routinely clean my 550 with a hand vacuum cleaner and a small brush. These procedure takes few time and maintains sensors reasonably OK. Roomba seems happy and runs like a champ!

Ventura.

I do exactly the same. Sensors is almost clear. But it doesn`t help in my case. I think problem is dirt on inner side of the front bumper. IR beam reflects from it. IR sensors see that. That`s make Roomba slowdown.
igors48
Robot Groupie

Postby sgroomba » May 10th, 2008, 3:06 pm

The Roomba 5xx actually has three speeds. There's normal, which is about a foot per second. Then there's the low speed when it detects an obstacle (whether it's a real one or dust on the bumper sensors). It also has a crawl speed for the last few inches when docking. I'm not sure which of the slower speeds it uses in reverse.
sgroomba
Robot Addict

Postby dgerman » November 27th, 2014, 1:31 pm

Used compressed air to blow out dirt from under side of front bumpers. Didn't even need to remove screws.
Runs fine now.
Built-In-Test 5,6 7 do not reliably pass. Removed bumper and cleaned.
Still have trouble getting BIT 5,6,7 to reliably pass, that is, passing hand to block sensor does NOT always illuminate dock/spot.
Roomba does slow down before buming into walls.
dgerman

Postby vic7767 » November 27th, 2014, 2:14 pm

dgerman wrote:Still have trouble getting BIT 5,6,7 to reliably pass, that is, passing hand to block sensor does NOT always illuminate dock/spot.
Roomba does slow down before buming into walls.

Instead of using your hand, use a 3 x 5 white index card.

vic7767
Robot Master

Postby dgerman » November 27th, 2014, 7:49 pm

Thanks for the tip and Happy Holidays.
dgerman

Return to iRobot Roomba and Scooba Chat