Scooba 5800 check tank lit

The very latest news and updates for the iRobot Roomba robotic vacuum, the Scooba Robotic Washer and the Dirt Dog workshop sweeper. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Scooba 5800 check tank lit

Postby darkpella » June 30th, 2008, 4:36 am

Hi,

I recently started getting the check tank lit issue on my Scooba 5800, which worked fine before.

The pump whirs for a few seconds when I press the clean button, then the check tank green light comes lit.

I check the battery setting more than once as suggested by iRobot by removing an repositioning it and it looks like everything is ok, though the tank locking does not provide a clear sound.

I hadn't used my Scooba for sometime when the issue first appeared and I notice that, as soon as the tank is fitted and locked int the chassis, some water pour out of the poppet valve since the chassis pocket around the pump inlet is full with water when I remove the tank, even if I didn't press the "clean" button.

I wonder whether this latter behavior is normal or is possibly a hint of something wrong with the tank or the pump.

Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks folks

darkpella
darkpella

Postby Fraggboy » June 30th, 2008, 7:00 am

darkpella,

Having some water collect around the tank nipple on the Scooba while taking the tank off/on is normal. There is a little cavity just for this reason so one can get the water collected easily and not damage the Scooba.

To get the Scooba working again, I'm sure there is air inside and it's not pumping liquid. To rectify this get a turkey baster, or an ear syringe(Blue Bulb for sucking out mucous out of babie's ears, nose, etc.). Fill it up with water. Put the Scooba under the sink with the tank off. Firmly place the syringe over the tank nipple right above the "Release Brush" button and squeeze water until it starts to come out of the bottom of the Scooba. Once this is achieved, the Scooba is ready to work.

This should get your Scooba running properly. This will happen when you don't use your Scooba for a while..
Chris

:confusion-shrug:
Website Question? Check out the FAQ section.
Roomba/Scooba Question? Check out the READ FIRST section.
:text-search:
Before posting, check out the improved Search engine. Your question might have been answered already.
Fraggboy
Robot Master

Postby tinkleflick » June 30th, 2008, 4:57 pm

DO NOT use a turkey baster to prime the pump. I tried this (while on the phone with the service rep @ iRobot) and the small nipple piece snapped off. I superglued it back on, and primed the pump with a softer bulb syringe and now it's working fine. Hopefully the piece doesn't snap off again.
tinkleflick

Postby darkpella » July 1st, 2008, 4:54 am

tinkleflick wrote:DO NOT use a turkey baster to prime the pump. I tried this (while on the phone with the service rep @ iRobot) and the small nipple piece snapped off. I superglued it back on, and primed the pump with a softer bulb syringe and now it's working fine. Hopefully the piece doesn't snap off again.

Would SCOOBA's own priming bulb do the job, provided I fill it with water?

By the way, I'm no native speaker, what's a turkey baster?

Thanks

darkpella
darkpella

Postby Fraggboy » July 1st, 2008, 8:03 am

Darkpella,

The supplied bulb will work great. Just fill it with water.

A turkey baster is a device to pick up turkey drippings, which you can douse the turkey with the drippings.

It is made out of hard plastic, which *could* snap off the piece if your not careful enough..
Chris

:confusion-shrug:
Website Question? Check out the FAQ section.
Roomba/Scooba Question? Check out the READ FIRST section.
:text-search:
Before posting, check out the improved Search engine. Your question might have been answered already.
Fraggboy
Robot Master

Postby darkpella » July 1st, 2008, 1:59 pm

Fraggboy wrote:Darkpella,

The supplied bulb will work great. Just fill it with water.

A turkey baster is a device to pick up turkey drippings, which you can douse the turkey with the drippings.

It is made out of hard plastic, which *could* snap off the piece if your not careful enough..

Yeah!

It worked!

Thanks a lot Fraggboy.

I just wonder why iRobot suggests to prime the pump with air or water when water is definitely better.
I did try to prime the pump with air through the SCOOBA's priming bulb before posting, but it didn't work and, on the other hand, priming a water pump with air is not so sound...

Bye folks and thanks again.

darkpella
darkpella

Return to iRobot Roomba and Scooba Chat