Neato going in reverse and in circles

News and information about the Neato XV-11 Robotic Vacuum. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Re: Neato going in reverse and in circles

Postby vic7767 » November 15th, 2014, 2:26 pm

Thanks for the URLto a very nice software tool for the Neato. Once the NeatoRobotics USB driver is downloaded from the NeatoRobotics.com website and installed on your computer, unZip the software tool provided by @Lewiy and install the program on your PC. When you see the first page look to the right side of the screen and select the display language you prefer. The program defaults to auto detect comm port of your Neato. Select Connect and you will see on the first page screen the results of several messages that are sent to the Neato. Going to the second page (Sensors) will display in real time all the different sensor values. For the running backwards issue pay particular attention to the bump sensors as well as the cliff sensors, and Mag sensors in the display. You can make the sensors change state by pushing on the bumper or holding a sheet of white paper close to the cliff sensors. This should help identify the faulty sensor within your Neato. The third page (Scanner) will display the room image that the LIDAR sends to the Neato software. There is also a Remote Control box that can be checked and then the Neato will move in the direction pressed using the Up, Down, Left, and Right directional arrows on the keyboard. Careful when using a short USB cable since the Neato will attempt to continue running until an arrow is pressed a second time.
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/

http://www.Robot-Doc.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby neat99 » November 15th, 2014, 3:36 pm

Thanks Gents :). Will this work on a MacBook Pro?
neat99

Postby vic7767 » November 15th, 2014, 3:49 pm

neat99 wrote:Thanks Gents :). Will this work on a MacBook Pro?

First step will be to visit the NeatoRobotics web site and see if there is a Mac version of the USB Driver, then in order to run the program you may need to execute it under a Windows emulator.

vic7767
Robot Master

Postby glnc222 » November 15th, 2014, 5:11 pm

added to mods list now including repairs. This program file should be stored on this site if available (with reference to original), to insure availability in future. [edit] Not such a good idea on second thought; it gets revised etc. Maybe software sales sites or SourceForge.net.
Link to programmer and Russian forum below http://www.robotreviews.com/chat/viewtopic.php?p=127385#p127385
Last edited by glnc222 on November 18th, 2014, 2:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby glnc222 » November 16th, 2014, 5:16 pm

[edit] For Botvac enter the port number manually as "COMxx" (not "xx"). Shown in Windows Devices & Printers or Device Manager.

Lewiy's Neatocontrol program above would not connect to Botvac in Windows 7 Starter 32 bit on Intel netbook. Error InvalidCom port clicking "connect". Tried with autoconnect checked and with port number entered in field, though that does not clearly enter a number -- empty drop down list. Tried with and without the Botvac connected to Hyperterminal. The PC does connect to the Neato but the program does not properly use the com port.
What's the trick?
Last edited by glnc222 on November 29th, 2014, 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby vic7767 » November 16th, 2014, 6:01 pm

The .Net program is robot specific and therefore only recognizes Neato comm ports mapped to the driver. The Botvac has a different comm domain and is not available to the Neatocontrol program. I sent an email to Lewiy in an attempt to get the program updated to work with both bots.

vic7767
Robot Master

Postby glnc222 » November 16th, 2014, 8:27 pm

I suspect the problem is the auto-detect feature, as the manual port entry field does not seem operational. The Botvac shows up as port 12 on the netbook, while the XV as port 10 -- and some time ago as port 8, may depend on what else is turned on inside the PC, wifi or what not. If telnet/hyperterminal can see it, so can something else. Source code for telnet programs at SourceForge.net. The auto-detect may not be looking at everything it should. I don't know what "com domain" means, but not very familiar with Windows internals. Maybe it all works on a Mac?

Incidentally, as reported in the top of page Updating thread, Windows 8 does not allow installation of Neato's unsigned driver even when it says so in pop ups, because of a security global prohibition on unsigned drivers introduced. Must be adjusted deep in the Registry. Separate procedure Win8 and 8.1.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby glnc222 » November 16th, 2014, 9:49 pm

Correction: the auto-detect probably has a name supplied by the XV to the port, and is not yet programmed to look for both an XV and a Botvac name if different. Manual port number entry would suffice. If any use to the programmer, the Botvac shows up in "Devices and Printers" as "Neato Robotics USB Port" with model "CDC Serial Peripheral". Whether the XV has a different name I cannot tell.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby Lewiy » November 17th, 2014, 2:55 am

vic7767 wrote:...I sent an email to Lewiy in an attempt to get the program updated to work with both bots.

Sorry for misunderstanding. I posted a link to the software, but I am not its author. 'heXor', programmer, had presented NeatoControl on this forum http://forum.ixbt.com/topic.cgi?id=47:10516:4564#4564. His home page - http://hex.name/en/home. For information: Windows stores a unique name for the comm-port in the registry HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\HARDWARE\DEVICEMAP\SERIALCOMM. Neato XV is listed there as \Device\USBSER000.
Last edited by Lewiy on November 19th, 2014, 5:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lewiy
Robot Master

Postby glnc222 » November 17th, 2014, 4:21 am

Botvac shows the same registry entry USBSER000 in DeviceMap of the Registry. The port number is included in that table. Interesting the port numbers for Botvac and XV came out different on the machine, which has not otherwise been altered. [edit] One thing to check is whether port mapping software packages, virtual port utilities, might map the Botvac entry to an imitation of the original XV port, as a work around. One freeware VSPE http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/Utilities/System_Analysis_Utilities/Free_Virtual_Serial_Ports_Emulator.html
[edit] didn't work for me anyway; defined virtual devices did not appear in Devices And Printers list.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby heX » November 28th, 2014, 5:44 am

Lewiy wrote:
vic7767 wrote:...I sent an email to Lewiy in an attempt to get the program updated to work with both bots.

...'heXor', programmer, had presented NeatoControl on this forum http://forum.ixbt.com/topic.cgi?id=47:10516:4564#4564. His home page - http://hex.name/en/home...

Hello!
I developer of program NeatoControl.
You can write about bugs directly in this topic.
Last edited by heX on December 1st, 2014, 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
heX

Postby glnc222 » November 28th, 2014, 3:57 pm

Welcome heX. Thanks for the NeatoControl program. Other programs for lidar graphic display have not always worked.

In case of use for including Botvac in NeatoControl: (error "invalid port number" in NeatoControl).

Dell Netbook Windows7 Starter 32 bit
Driver File: NeatoUpdaterToolInstaller_X86 (January, 2013)

Port Settings: Port_#0003.Hub_#0005

Device Manager
Details (partial list)
Device Description: Neato Robotics USB Port
Hardware ID's: USB\VID_2108&PID_780C&REV_0100
USB\VID_2108&PID_780C
Compatible ID's: USB\Class_02&SubClass_02&Prot_00
USB\Class_02&SubClass_02
USB\Class_02
Service: usbser32
Device Class: Ports
Device CLass guid: {4d36e978-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}
Driver Key: 4d36e978-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\0007
Config Flags: 00000000
Manufaturer: Neato Robotics, Inc.
Friendly Name: Neato Robotics USB Port (COM12)
Location Information: Port_#0003.Hub_#0005
Physical Device Object Name: (blank)
Capabilities: 00000094
CM_DEVCAP_REMOVABLE
CM_DEVCAP_UNIQUEID
CM_DEVCAP_SURPRISEREMOVALOK
Matching Device ID: usb\vid_2108&pid_780c
Inf Name: oem54.inf

[edit] For reference the XV-11 Neato device is:
Hardware ID's: USB/VID_2108&PID_780B&REV_2419
USN/VID_2108&PID_780B
Last edited by glnc222 on November 29th, 2014, 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby Markrose » November 29th, 2014, 6:03 am

Guys! I found out how to get the BotVac working with Hex's wonderful program! First, plug in your Neato into your PC. Then, go to Devices and Printers and see the Neato's COM port (Should have COM<number> there). Then, in the Neato Control Application, uncheck "Auto detect port number" and manually type into the box your COM number. Don't forget to put the word COM in front! I've attached pictures of my connected BotVac for all to see. :D

Sidenote: Under the sidebrush motor info, I saw a VORWERK written as the name! Guess Neato got lazy and asked their German pals for a hand.
Attachments
Botvac.JPG
Botvac!
My 'bots: Roomba 620, Neato Robotics Botvac 80.
Markrose
Robot Addict

Postby shirgal » November 29th, 2014, 12:43 pm

Nice one. :D
shirgal
Robot Addict

Postby glnc222 » November 29th, 2014, 6:01 pm

The manual entry of the port number in NeatoControl must be the alpha-numeric name "COMxx" not just digits "xx"

This confusion would be avoided if a drop-down list was presented for selection instead of having to type in the name.

The port number I think is assigned by Windows according to what other ports are in use. On a 64-bit Win8.1 system Botvac shows as COM3. Originally Neato showed as COM8 on a Win7 32 bit system but came up as COM10 with firmware v3.1 and driver version 2.0. Botvac shows as COM12 there, but COM3 on the Win8.1.

The port number for the Neato device, Botvac or XV, is shown in the Windows "Devices and Printers" screen, besides Device Manager in Control Panel. The port number is always needed in telnet programs like Hyperterminal.

The port number must be entered for Botvac because the program searches only for the device id (vid:pid) of the XV, until a new version is compiled with the different id of the Botvac device (see previous posts; seems to differ only in the final letter, C vs B). These id's are built into devices and registered with an agency so all USB devices everywhere are unique, and drivers for them can be located automatically.

Botvac lidar scan in NeatoControl:
LidarScan.jpg
NeatoControl Program Lidar Scan Botvac
LidarScan.jpg (11.8 KiB) Viewed 5599 times

One difference with Botvac will be the vacuum fan current measurement, which as reported in "Botvac" thread, has some different meaning in the Botvac system, a very low figure which cannot make sense. The total battery current increases around a full amp when the fan is turned on. See http://www.robotreviews.com/chat/viewtopic.php?p=127416#p127416 The system is reporting correctly over USB, just not measuring the same thing in the Botvac with the internal ammeter.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby DrRolex » May 24th, 2016, 8:54 am

After replacing the batteries on my XV-15, which had remained unused for a couple of months, it just went in circles for a short while and then displayed that the cleaning cycle was completed.

I started with cleaning all sensors; vacuum, compressed air and with cloth but to no avail...

I connected it to NeatoControl http://hex.name/en/programs/neatocontrol with Wine on my MacBook which ran without issues.

Guide to intalling Wine with Homebrew can be found here:
https://www.davidbaumgold.com/tutorials/wine-mac/#part-1:-install-homebrew

To connect it I had to do a symbolic link to the USB serial port my Neato connected to (which for me was /dev/tty.usbmodem1411)
Code: Select all
ln -s /dev/tty.usbmodem1411  ~/.wine/dosdevices/com1

Then I could just select COM1 in NeatoControl.

I selected test mode and the 'Sensors' tab. Then I held my hand in front of both the wall sensor and the drop sensors.
All three seemed to work properly which left me a bit confused..

I then selected the 'Scanner' tab and checked 'Scan LDS'. The output seemed all right, I tried moving it around and it properly drew the room boundaries..

After this I Disconnected from NeatoControl, unplugged the USB cable and pressed the Start button for a normal cleaning cycle and...voila! It worked! :)

I'm guessing it probably only needed to spin the LIDAR servo (I think it's called?) to unstuck/autoclean itself after collecting debris for not being used in a while.
Anyway it works now, which is whats important. 8)
DrRolex

Postby glnc222 » May 24th, 2016, 1:36 pm

Your Macbook info now linked atop the Neato Control Program thread for other Apple users.
Some sticking of the lidar spin motor has been reported several times. Motor and bearing repair is listed in the Mods & Repairs list top of main Neato forum page.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby DrRolex » May 25th, 2016, 6:54 am

glnc222 wrote:Your Macbook info now linked atop the Neato Control Program thread for other Apple users.
Some sticking of the lidar spin motor has been reported several times. Motor and bearing repair is listed in the Mods & Repairs list top of main Neato forum page.

Glad I could be of help and I would like to thank you and heX for the software and support. :thumbup:

I will take a look at the the repair because the robot still seems a bit "clumsy", so what you suggested will hopefully help (it). :)
DrRolex

Postby heX » May 26th, 2016, 9:30 am

DrRolex wrote:I connected it to NeatoControl http://hex.name/en/programs/neatocontrol with Wine on my MacBook which ran without issues.

I planing recompile Neato Control for linux (and mac) - program code ready for this. (but do not have time to study the compilation modes)
heX

Postby DrRolex » May 26th, 2016, 11:54 am

heX wrote:
DrRolex wrote:I connected it to NeatoControl http://hex.name/en/programs/neatocontrol with Wine on my MacBook which ran without issues.

I planing recompile Neato Control for linux (and mac) - program code ready for this. (but do not have time to study the compilation modes)

Hey heX,

Quick question; Is it possible to run Neato Control with USB connected while doing a cleaning cycle?
If so, how? Because as soon as I try to start a cycle it tells me to remove the USB cable.

It worked all right yesterday, but today it's back to the going in circles for 30 seconds and then claiming it's finished.
When I run Neato Control everything seems OK. The LDS is showing up correctly and the drop and wall sensors are working. Remote controlling is also working, going straight/turning etc...

If there's something wrong with the motor, then shouldn't that be detectable when doing the 'Scan LDS'?
DrRolex

PreviousNext

Return to Neato Robotics